Poll: Do you play an instrument?

AmosMoses

Mar 27, 2011
Guitar. I like to play in a band but I'm not patient enough to really get any good.

Also, I'm an expert at the skin flute (aka the pink oboe) /gaffaw, gaffaw

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009

...Do instruments of torture count?

OT: I'm learning bass guitar right now, but I haven't practiced in a while.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Yes, I can play the bass guitar and the 5 string banjo pretty well. Not as well or as often as I used to thanks to a connective tissue disease. I has lessons and everything. I can also play the guitar but not as well. Everyone in my family can play the guitar (most acoustic) because my paternal grandmother was a Guitar teacher for 40+ years.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Played keyboard when I was a kid. When I started listening to metal around the age of 13 I begun growling, though these days I stick to harsh vocals. My regular singing voice isn't that bad, but I don't have enough confidence in it for my own songs.
Played bass guitar in a death metal band for a brief period. Started with no experience whatsoever and came out more than decent for a beginner. Had to keep up with the guitarists tempo and we rehearsed for about 12 hours/week. Unfortunetly the guitarist and vocalist decided to call quits a few months after I joined. Quit playing bass guitar shortly afterwards and picked up the guitar instead. Had bought a new bass guitar just two weeks before the band split up, so I was pretty furious. Damn thing cost me about 700 euro and I've hardly touched it since.

Write and record a lot of songs, though I don't practise anymore. I'm not improving fast enough and without a real band to play with I lack the motivation. Still good enough for basic(read shitty) songs however!

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
Flute, piccolo, some piano, crappy recorder thing, and vocals. I don?t think I was really that good but I did eight years of music.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Clarinet, flute, sax, guitar, viola to some extent, cello to roughly the same extent, and I sing a lot. Like in the shower. Or when no one's around, like right now.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I played clarinet for a few years and stopped after getting kicked out of band for a quarter in middle school and then shortly after that having music almost completely ruined for me. Then I did choir for a semester in high school and music was completely ruined for me from the teacher(in both instances). I also use to be able to play pretty much all the brass instruments(except tuba cause i don't have the lung capacity for it) and the woodwind instruments, and most of percussion(there is some we didn't have so i never got to learn) and i have a recorder somewhere that i learned to play before clarinet.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
If you concider a synthesizer to be an instrument: yes.

If you don't think it is: try it out, reality will prove you wrong.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I'm probably the only French Horn player on this entire site, either that or the others are very silent. I've been playing all throughout middle and high school, so about 6 years now.

Switchblade 327

Nov 25, 2011
Rule Britannia said:
So do you Escapists play an instrument? Be it guitar, bass, drums, trumpet, trombone, clarinet, flute, piano, strings, or are you an exceptional vocalist?
Guitar, bass, drums, vocals (I like to think of myself as a mix between Trevor Strnad and Randy Blythe... No, I don't know how to pronounce Strnad), piano, and some weird percussion stuff I can't name but can apparently play.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
I'm learning to play the drums, if that counts. I actually got the motivation to go out and buy a real drum kit after about a year and a half of playing Rock Band and kicking its face in. Unfortunately, the cymbal and the hi-hat that came with my kit sound like complete ass, so...

Yeah. I need to buy new stuff so I can tolerate playing the damn kit. :<

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I casually play the piano and seriously play the Clarinet. I also own a Melodica, a Peruvian Wolf Whistle and a Peruvian Windchime thing.

I want a Kazoo!

EDIT:And if singing counts, that.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
I played Keyboard in primary, but eventually gave up (no fun anymore when the teacher keeps nitpicking about the "correct" way to have my hands when playing). Picked up guitar, but stopped when I switched schools. I picked it up again the second year of yet another new school, but abandoned music forever that same year.

If I was going to pick up music again, it would be drums, nothing else. I'm great at keeping a beat, and learning how to keep up an increasingly complex set of beats seems far more interesting than spending 3-4 weeks to master simple songs.

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
Playing accoustic guitar and singing with a friend.

With that same friend and a couple of others we got a 'band' where I play electric rhythm guitar. Some vocals.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
I play Bass, Guitar, Drums (Not very good at it but good enough), Keyboard, Fl Studio (Music making software, if that counts) and I'm an average singer.

Very busy busy all the time