Poll: Do you play an instrument?

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
I play piano, cornet and flute. But since uni I haven't played as much as Id like :(

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
I started playing both the trombone and drums pretty recently. They're both fun, but so far I prefer drums.

I tried guitar a bit when I was 9 or 10, but I never really got good at it or enjoyed it much.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
I play guitar, like everyone else. I dunno really how good I am. I'm not really anything impressive, but I've yet to embarrass myself either, and I've played for crowds on a few occasions.

My YT account is linked on my profile and you can actually watch a couple videos of me playing, though those were years ago and I've improved and bought a better guitar since.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I play the piano and have done for eleven years now. Sadly my piano has died, I really miss playing but I don't have the money to get a new piano, and I refuse to go back to playing on a keyboard.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Yeah...Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Ukulele I'm all fairly proficient at, but guitar/bass are my best. I can also create interesting sounds on keyboards, but I'm hardly what you'd call a pianist. That said, I have quick fingers, but just don't really know where everything is on a piano/keyboard compared to a guitar. Like if you told me to just improvise with Mixolydian mode I can do it easily on guitar, but it would take me a while to find it on the keyboard.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
I played trumpet for 10 years, and I dabbled in guitar for a bit, but first and foremost, I'm a singer. Primarily operatic (I'm going to school for it) but I can do other styles too.

EDIT: Oh, and i'm learning piano. It's going slowly but well.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I played the trumpet in 4th and 5th grade, but that hardly counts. I would love to learn how to fiddle, though. I met some people who play a pretty good skin flute, though.

The Becker

Jul 17, 2011
Use to play the tuba in middle school couldn't read sheet music just knew what fingers to use. Eventually got fed up when it got more difficult so i stopped

Sep 14, 2009
used to play trumpet, but hated it, mostly because of how shitty all the songs were we played, so stopped playing.

i also knew some piano melodies for a while, haven't done em in years though (since i don't have a piano)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
AlAaraaf74 said:
Yes, I play piano. Concequentally, I am biased in saying it is the greatest instrument ever. I mean, how much more awesome can you get?
Aside from the human voice, I'd have to agree. For the accessibility of the instrument, you have something from which you can generate a vast range of timbre (if you take advantage of the pedals and manipulate key-depression) and a massive pitch range (typically larger than the common range of virtually every other oft played instrument), the ability to play up to four melodies (with bass-line if you're good enough), and the joy of playing amusing duets on one piano.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get myself into Liszt... For solo piano, Chopin all the way:

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
AlAaraaf74 said:
Yes, I play piano. Concequentally, I am biased in saying it is the greatest instrument ever. I mean, how much more awesome can you get?
Aside from the human voice, I'd have to agree. For the accessibility of the instrument, you have something from which you can generate a vast range of timbre (if you take advantage of the pedals and manipulate key-depression) and a massive pitch range (typically larger than the common range of virtually every other oft played instrument), the ability to play up to four melodies (with bass-line if you're good enough), and the joy of playing amusing duets on one piano.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get myself into Liszt... For solo piano, Chopin all the way:

Especially since, in my opinion, Chopin was one of the few composers who understood the piano's unlimited possibilities. I wateched a very interesting interview with Garrick Ohlsson, who explained and demonstrated Chopin's amazing craftsmanship in compositions.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
AlAaraaf74 said:
Especially since, in my opinion, Chopin was one of the few composers who understood the piano's unlimited possibilities. I wateched a very interesting interview with Garrick Ohlsson, who explained and demonstrated Chopin's amazing craftsmanship in compositions.
Truth be told, I listen to baroque a lot more than anything else... so while I admire the piano for being as great as it is, I love the old harpsichord! Sure it has nowhere near the versatility of the piano (or even the clavichord), but it's a mark of skill when you can get a certain expressiveness from a harpsichord.

And more's the pity so few exist... :(

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
I play bass, harmonica and ukulele. Used to play trombone, which I would like to get into again sometime, but I don't have the time. Bass is my main instrument though I don't really have anyone to play with. Still fun to blow the roof off though (advantage of living alone in a house).

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
Been playing guitar for the last 6 years, however only started doing grade about a year ago. So I'm grade 5.
Got grade 2 drums a few months ago, and I play bass in my band on some songs, I also sing.

I plan to start learning Piano soon, and saxaphone.

I mean, c'mon. Who doesn't want to play saxaphone?

SwiggleDyl

Mar 19, 2011
I work as a guitar tutor to get me through University :) best job ever in my opinion, always exciting to get there and definitely rewarding.

I'm also the lead vocalist in a metal band so if screaming into a mic counts as an instrument there's that too :)

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I play the Euphonium.

I wish I had chosen saxophone or percussion or something, but my 5th grade self didn't understand the importance of getting laid. T_T