Poll: Do you play as yourself in an RPG?

Snuggle

Apr 28, 2009
Do you, when playing an RPG, play your characters as if they were yourself? I.e. having them have the same opinions as you. Or do you play a character different from your own personality?

I tend to let my characters have the same stances as myself. I think it's mainly because it feels more "natural" to take a position that's more in the likes of own. Although there is difference between the times I play CRPGs and regular PnP RPGs (though that is extremely rare). The few times I've played PnP, I've generally had it easier with playing a character different from myself.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I always follow my beliefs in the first playthrough and go for the opposite in the second.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
Souplex said:
I always follow my beliefs in the first playthrough and go for the opposite in the second.
Yeah, because the first time around I don't want to have to think too hard about the choices stuff and just do what seems most natural to me, and the second time I want to see what I missed.

ghostinthenight

Aug 18, 2009
Yes, I generally pick the most extreme view point *either extreme good or extreme evil depending on the character* that is closest to how I would actually reply/react.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i have tried role playing something more opposite of me, but i always end up helping and being nice to every one i bump into.

but if i don't get sucked into the story then its easy for me to be evul, for an example in oblivion i was a murder and a thief, and the hero of the land.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Yes; I tend to not give a damn about the character otherwise. I haven't figured out why yet, either.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Sometimes, I usually play though first as a character similiar to myself, but after my first playthrough, I play with different morals.

Nwabudike Morgan

Oct 25, 2009
I play as myself all day every day. It's the last thing I want to do when playing a game. I played Mass Effect as the biggest dick in the galaxy.

Now that I think of it I still may have played myself.

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
Of course, I always choose the biology student class when I'm playing Oblivion.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
God no. Then I'd be a spotty, weak teenage nerd with no social skills. Not to mention a low small guns skill. However, my science would be at a healthy high.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
I play as I would if I had all those abilities, hence me rarely being 'dark-side'.
I tend not to look like me though. Why look like yourself when you could be a freakin' Dark Elf?

fahbrock

Nov 25, 2008
I do a couple play throughs on RPGs. The first time I play as good (so, myself) and the second as an evil bastard. The evil bastard run is always the most fun.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Morally I do on the first playthrough and any playthroughs that have expanded story due to DLC or whatever. Then I mess around to see what I can do.

For example, I'm playing Dragon Age right now. I've played it using my own moral choices now I play it as a Chantry hating mage out to womanise half the game, next up is a devout follower of the Chantry and a racist Elf.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I imagine myself as the character I'm playing as. I try to help society and feel that people who are guilty of murder, bribery, extortion and forgery should not be allowed into any sort of position of power.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I usually role play the character as myself, like what I would do in the given situation. ...or as close as the in-game options allow.