Poll: Do you play D&D?

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I'm a GM running my first Pathfinder campaign, it terrifies and excites me. Four sessions so far and my players have been constructive with feedback and have all told me they're having a lot of fun.

Rol3x

Jan 24, 2008
The pathfinder society here in Sydney has been very welcoming and helpful, I arrived with a tenuous grasp of the rules but was encouraged to take part and had a blsat.
If you have pathfinder society events near you I highly recommend giving it a go.

Tyrrax

Oct 2, 2010
Got started with basic D&D back in the 80's and then transitioned over to 2nd ed. Been playing on and off since Junior High, got into 3.0 and 3.5. There was also a brief addiction to Palladium/RIFTS that I'm thankfully cured of. Now I'm all in for Pathfinder. If I wanted to play 4th ed I'd just play WoW.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
No except PC RPGs made from D&D but I would kill for a chance to play nice long genuine D&D campaign. Sadly in my country you can only get few core books if you look for them very hard. Thats because most of the geekdom here plays Magic: The Gathering. I watched each Spoonys Counter Monkey episode at least dozen times and they make me so hungry T_T

EDIT: I see there is many people here that would want to play as well. How about making a list and get someone experienced to guide us?

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Played D&D a few times with different GMs, but the all ended the same way. A group of murder-hobos wandering the land slaying everything in their way, pausing only to see whether the equipment they have is giving them enough bonuses to continue breaking the rules.

I do not find that kind of game fun. I prefer it when people are actually *roleplaying*.

If I'm planning on running a game I usually go for one of the White Wolf ones. Orpheus is probably the best one, and I have all the supplements.

Currently running a Black Crusade game, and my players may or may not be about to overthrow a Hive, while an Inquisitor watches from orbit...

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
There is a Star Wars D&D?
A couple, actually. There's the d6 system. There might be a few more, but those are the two I've played.
No, Dungeons and Dragons is a roleplaying game, and the Star Wars roleplaying games are diffrent systems.

Mar 30, 2010
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
A couple, actually. There's the d6 system. There might be a few more, but those are the two I've played.
No, Dungeons and Dragons is a roleplaying game, and the Star Wars roleplaying games are diffrent systems.
The d20 system is almost identical to D&D 3.5 Ed, to be fair. Exactly the same rules, exactly the same character progression, just swapped out red dragons for krayt-dragons.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
The d20 system is almost identical to D&D 3.5 Ed, to be fair. Exactly the same rules, exactly the same character progression, just swapped out red dragons for krayt-dragons.
It's still a different system and not "a D&D"

Mar 30, 2010
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
I would be interested to hear your definition of "a D&D", because clearly you and I have very different definitions of the term.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
I've never played it before, but a few of my forum friends and I have been looking into a bunch of programs that you can use to play D&D over the internet.
I would play it in person, but none of my friends (who live in my area) play.
redmoretrout said:
Never have, but I've always been curious about it. In all honesty it seems like the paperwork required would resemble filing your taxes, but I would be willing to try it.
It's not that bad. Once you learn the process for character creation, it's remarkably simple.
As for actual gameplay, you'd have to consult your character sheet every so often (to get skill modifiers, remind yourself what die you use for damage etc), but that's about it.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Not yet, but I've wanted to try it for ages, and in 2 weeks I'm going to play it with some classmates. If I like it, I might even play it again some time.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Sadly no. I have always wanted to play Dungeons and Dragons but I don't know anyone here where I live that does play it.
I have tried to talk about it with people at work but none of them have any desire to play it. A few never even heard of it until I told them about it.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
I would be interested to hear your definition of "a D&D", because clearly you and I have very different definitions of the term.
D&D is a roleplaying game not roleplaying games in general.

And sorry if I come across as angry or something, not intentional

Mar 30, 2010
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:

True enough, but it has also become a generic name for RP in general, in much the same way as 'Biro' is the default for 'ball-point pen' and 'Hoover' is for vacuum cleaner. Your initial question of "There's a Star Wars D&D?" made me think that you were using the generic term, because if you were using the specific term there never could be a Star Wars 'D&D' as they do not co-exist in the same gaming universe.

And don't worry about it, it's a rough Monday morning and I'm a bit snappier than I should be anyway.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
I'm in the middle of a Pathfinder game with a bunch of friends from school. We can only play it over the holidays, though, because we're all in different cities thanks to university. We make up for this by doing roleplaying sessions over facebook. It's pretty fun.

One of my friends is trying to homebrew a Mass Effect d20 system, and another is making a campaign for it. I hope it works, the idea of doing a Mass Effect tabletop was what got me interested in the first place.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Yep, I do. But I've stuck to 3.5 since it's simply the best one in my opinion. It's got some obvious flaws, but I still think it's better than the newer ones since it hasn't been dumbed down so to speak. Also those were my first RP rulebooks that I actually bought, so it's got some nostalgia-value.

I've also played one or two campaigns of Pathfinder. With our DM it was quite the brutal experience. "You try to climb the stack of boxes. *rolls*, you lose your balance, and fall into the pit that was behind you. You fracture all your bones. You can barely speak. A friend notices you falling and tries to lift you up. *rolls* He falls in there too. Uh-oh."

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:

True enough, but it has also become a generic name for RP in general, in much the same way as 'Biro' is the default for 'ball-point pen' and 'Hoover' is for vacuum cleaner. Your initial question of "There's a Star Wars D&D?" made me think that you were using the generic term, because if you were using the specific term there never could be a Star Wars 'D&D' as they do not co-exist in the same gaming universe.

And don't worry about it, it's a rough Monday morning and I'm a bit snappier than I should be anyway.
I was not aware that it was a term for RPGs in general and I wouldn't use it myself as I don't like D&D.

Also using D&D as a term for RPGs sounds to me like refering to playing video games as 'playing Mario'.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
As much as I can. I'm mostly into 3.5 (not a fan of 4e, 2e only comes up with Planescape: Torment) but would love to give Pathfinder a try.