Poll: Do you play the single player of Military Shooters?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Back when I had a few brain cells to spare towards militaristic Spunkgargleweewee, I bought CoD 2 and Modern Warfare for their stories. I generally appreciate it when games have a mode or setting that caters to people who have the reflexes of a narcoleptic sloth - which is my case. That usually happens to be the single-player campaign.

A few rounds spent going "WHOAWHADDAFOCKWHOKILLEDMEHOWWHAT?!" in multiplayer pretty much confirmed that Mother Nature just didn't intend to grace me with the skills needed for multiplayer spawn-killing twitch-fests. I've been sitting by the wayside, watching the kiddies and their MLG montages, ever since.

Bungie brought me back in with Destiny, but this is pretty much the anti-CoD, anyway. Smart placement and situational awareness is more useful in the Crucible than being able to pull off sick noscope shots or whatever.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Sarge034 said:
Poll kindda shoehorns a little
I tried to keep it as balanced as I could when I wrote it. I know that it does somewhat favor "Yes" because all you'd need is to have played the single player for it to count as a "Yes" option but that was more because it was hard to get the nuances of answers (as well as my own lack of imagination when thinking of options).

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
It depends on the game.
I played most of the call of duty campaigns.
Bad Company 2 kept me interested but Battlefield 3 bored me to tears so I didn't check out single player much.
I bought Spec Ops the line FOR the single player.
In black ops 2 I couldn't beat a forced "spider" Section :(

I prefer if the game has both, but only one being good can be forgiven.

Rogue Ranger

Nov 24, 2013
Ambient_Malice said:
Drakmorg said:
Not because I found the stories engaging or the characters memorable, since I absolutely cannot comprehend how anyone possibly could...
How dare you diss my main man Gary Oldman.

Amen to that.

As for the topic of discussion, given the atmosphere of the Internet and multiplayer, I will never engage myself with multiplayer any time soon or at all. The new Battlefront is multiplayer-focused and without a single player campaign (against my nostalgic wishes), so that's a downer. I do wish there will be modernized Black Hawk Down-based military shooter (physics engine, gameplay-wise) or perhaps a next gen game involving WWII. Yes, a consensus of the latter opinion exists.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
In general yes, though I've played Nazi Zombies far more times than the single player from CoD: World At War.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Yes. Since the decline in the quality of CoD after MW2 and the IW/Activision drama, I've enjoyed playing them with CoD4 as the benchmark for their quality. After all, CoD4 comes after only Portal and Jesus:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/24-Call-of-Duty-4

Personally, I didn't think CoDAW was that bad. The story was at least coherent unlike anything in the Blops series.

Sep 24, 2008
Evolve, Titanfall, Super Monday Night Combat...

Oh? What am I doing? I'm listing games that were depend on multiplayer and have become virtual ghost towns. Multiplayer is fine for some people, it's all they want to do for others. But when the other players move on or just get bored, the all important 'Multi'is removed and you paid a lot of money for something you can never touch again.

I'll reread a book after a while. Just like I'll replay a game. But if I have to jump through hoops and connect to servers just to see that there's no one there to facilitate my entertainment? I spent 60 dollars for a Ticking time bomb of virtual paperweight.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Yes. Since the decline in the quality of CoD after MW2 and the IW/Activision drama, I've enjoyed playing them with CoD4 as the benchmark for their quality. After all, CoD4 comes after only Portal and Jesus:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/24-Call-of-Duty-4

Personally, I didn't think CoDAW was that bad. The story was at least coherent unlike anything in the Blops series.
Doesn't it also have the advantage of Kevin Spacey being the villain? I've heard he's fun to watch like he always is.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
RUINER ACTUAL said:
What did you find incoherent about the storylines of Black Ops? Was it "Kojima" incoherent or "The Dark Knight Rises" incoherent?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I haven't played a military shooter in a few years but when I do play them I go through the single player and ignore the multiplayer. This was a good move for Spec Ops: The Line and the first two Modern Warfare titles I'd think. I don't remember disliking those games (SOtL was actually really good...I beat that one more than once) but I don't normally go for modern military shooters. I prefer shooters like Wolfenstein: The New One, where I'm allowed to dual-wield auto shotguns; the kind of game where I don't feel like I've wasted money for skipping multiplayer.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
The last Call of Duty game I bought was World at War and I genuinely enjoyed the single player. The story wasn't incredible, but it was the epic set piece fest I was expecting. I guess a lot of people will still buy Black Ops III on PS3 and 360 for the multiplayer, but I can't comment on the recent CoD stories to say if they're worth the price of entry.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I don't really play many military shooters, but if I did, it would be exclusively for the single player game.

Hell, I've put hundreds of hours into GTA: Online and at least 99% of that time has been playing solo Invite Only sessions by myself. It was similar situation with Red Dead Redemption, after I completed the main game, I spent many more hours playing the 'multiplayer' Free Roam mode by myself, it was good to be able to continue playing the game for the gameplay but with less narrative structure guiding my actions.

I'm a firm believer in the notion that a good game with a good online mode that closely resembles the single player game, can be as much fun playing the multiplayer mode on your own as it can be playing it with others... although the two games mentioned above may be exceptions to the general structure and nature of multiplayer games.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I mean, I just got done playing the campaign of Call of Duty 2.

That game's still relevant, right?

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I only buy CoD for the single player, just recently caught up with two Ghosts and Advanced Warfare. I liked Ghosts better, the Nvidia Gameworks enhanced fur was really good. The story was a bit better than Advanced Warfare as well. That is not saying much, CoD is more a guilty pleasure, the over the top action movie story is really fun to watch, and some of the Black Ops "mystery" was good. Kevin Spacey was great though, if not in a predictable role. As for the previous gen consoles not getting the single player, well, I would say I care even less about last gen as I do about this gen of consoles, but that is impossible.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yep, usually the first thing I play in one. I consider it a nice warm-up to any new features the game may have, all while getting a cheesy military story with a shit ton of explosions.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I haven't played a shooter in years but when I was pretty actively buying them single-player campaigns were really just kind of a bonus to add on to the multiplayer. One-and-done type of deals where once I finished I would never touch it again.

sjard

Mar 21, 2008
Single player only for most of them. The only ones I buy for the multiplayer are the Battlefield games. And even then I rarely play them. Especially when there's something like Planetside 2 that's free.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
I stopped buying games such as these because I don't play multiplayer and thought the single player campaigns and playability usually sucked.

Recently I've played Bad Company 2, COD 4 and Boarderlands and thought all SP's were shite. So I've stopped buying those type of games now.