Poll: Do you prefer First Person View or Third Person View or both

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
I dont need to explain further. Whats your favourite gaming view? Do you prefer to see your character or see what your character sees. Does the game itself matter?

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
I think I actually prefer third-person perspective. Better spacial awareness of what's around you.

Though, granted, I play a lot of racing games, and I ALWAYS use third-person in them. Air combat games, too. For shooting, I do feel as though first-person is more precise, yes; but third-person still offers a better ability to maneuver and know where you're going.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm fine with either as long as the game is designed with it in mind.

I suppose if I HAD to choose one though, FPS all the way. I just like the perspective more and I feel like the games that I like to play (more "realistic" than not) are better set in First Person rather than Third.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Ezekiel said:
I usually drive in first person.
There's actually only one racing game where I do much of any driving in first-person, and that's Full Auto because of the target reticle going all over the screen otherwise. I actually drive using the hood cam in that game, just so I can see my .50cals blazing as I tear my rivals to shreds.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I mostly do First Person View when playing as a single person that needs pinpoint accuracy and Third Person View when steering a vehicle(s) or People.

I actually prefer isometric view for Role Playing Games, Third Person for adventure style and First Person for Shooters.
Top down/ slightly slanted for 4X style and Rimworld Style though there are exceptions like Darkout and Terraria etc.

Since I do most views, ultimately I'd like the option to chose and not be forced into a single perspective when other are both doable and sometimes preferred.

My main gripe with views today are forced cockpit view for Freelancer style games and Over-The-Shoulder views for shooter, adventure games and Role Playing Games.
I can't stand those at all.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
While I have enjoyed quite a few first person games (almost entirely FPS) primarily for their immersive value, I tend to like third person more overall because of one main tenet: They just are more fun to me.

For a good example, I was browsing youtube today and saw an interesting stealth montage for MGSV, or rather I'd like to call it, stealthsploitation

I must say he makes a pretty good case for using Reflex even though I don't like using it normally.

I know it's a game that has caused considerable consternation among the fanbase, but one can't deny its potential entertainment value, and much of it is due to being in third person.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Third-person.

Apart from the already mentioned spacial awareness, actually seeing my character helps me feel more tied to the gameworld. I like seeing a character's hair or clothes rustle in the wind, or wounds on them from a fresh fight, or just the simple act of their feet adapting to uneven terrain.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It depends. Both are good for different purposes. I still maintain that melee combat can work in first person and fuck you yahtzee for spreading the prevalent myth otherwise even though you admit it does for Condemned :p. Depending on your strict interpretation of 'platforming' it is no detriment to that either.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
As a general rule, third person as I like being able to see what's around you and seeing your character. It does depend on the game itself, too. I prefer shooters to be first person than third typically.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
1st person takes fashion out the equation, which can be a major part of games like RPG's, where part of the fun is decking your character out in a cool looking set of gear.

Can you imagine if Dark Souls was 1st person? It wouldn't be nearly as popular. It's called Fashion Souls for a reason.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
First. I like being in the game, but I also like games where you make your own character. Seriously, The Elder Scrolls hits a majority of my preferences in gaming, hence why its my favorite game series, even as it becomes not as good.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I find 3rd-person is capable of more mechanics at play (or at least more variety of mechanics) vs 1st-person. Just the simple notion of moving in a direction you're not looking towards is just a basic control option in 3rd-person. There's a lot of maneuvers that would be disorienting in 1st-person that work perfectly in 3rd-person like the dive move in MGS5 (as seen in the video Hansel posted), that's why FPSs that have a similar move ONLY have the slide mechanic whereas MGS5 has the dive while Ghost Recon Future Soldier has dive roll (barrel roll) type move that's rather different. And how popular a roll move is in games is almost exclusive to 3rd-person whether we're talking Souls, Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, and many more when the only 1st-person game I can list with a roll is Mirror's Edge, which isn't even used for dodging. Thus, 3rd-person games feel more like unique/different experiences compared to 1st-person games.

hanselthecaretaker said:
For a good example, I was browsing youtube today and saw an interesting stealth montage for MGSV, or rather I'd like to call it, stealthsploitation

I know it's a game that has caused considerable consternation among the fanbase, but one can't deny its potential entertainment value, and much of it is due to being in third person.
I guessed it was a StealthGamerBR vid right away, his videos are amazing, I find his Dishonored videos are his best work. I don't see why publishers/devs don't hire this guy to create gameplay trailers for their games.

I think one of the keys to a good stealth game is how much the player can mess with the AI and be creative. MGS5 definitely has that in spades. Although MGS is my favorite series and I still have yet to finish MGS5 so it was definitely disappointing as well.

Casual Shinji said:
I like seeing a character's... simple act of their feet adapting to uneven terrain.
One thing I hate about many 1st-person games is your character gets caught on "lips" in the environment instead of your character just walking/running over them. I realize it's not the 1st-person perspective's fault but the developers for not programming the character to do such things. But you don't have to put up with that stuff in 3rd-person games.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
That's silly. It's gonna depend on what the game is about, obviously.

If it's about the player's position and distance in relation to other things (platformers, hack n' slashes) the third person camera is more suitable. If it's about what the player is looking at (shooters, exploration games) the first person camera is better.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Third person, generally. I like being able to see my character. It makes me feel like part of the world rather than a floating camera.

There are exceptions though. Multiplayer PvP shooters are first person or nothing for me because being able to see around corners without exposing yourself is some bullshit. Also games that involve examining details in the environment work better in first person, probably just because the camera is closer to whatever you're looking at. Finally, I have a soft spot for first person parkour and melee, although to date the Mirror's Edge games are the only ones to do those things at all well.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
In shooters I strongly prefer first. I can enjoy either. Tell the twat that made the shooter quiz that Spec Ops: The Line is not an FPS.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Both works for me, though for fucks sake I'd love it if first person games stopped having so many platforming sections where I need to do precision jumps without being able to see my legs. Borderlands, Dying Light, even Doom got in on that bullshit, just let me see what body parts I'm trying to put where dammit.