Poll: Do you prefer First Person View or Third Person View or both

Feb 7, 2016
First person. I don't have a problem with spatial awareness, control, or anything. I have been playing first person games most of my life though, only really getting into third person games (not including RPGs) until I was about 15. I played the occasional third person shooter, but eh...

I love games that give you the option of either, like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, GTA 5 even. I can look at my character when I want, and then hop right back into my preferred perspective. Except in competitive games. Games like PUBG where virtually no one uses the first person mode because they can flip the camera around a corner in third strikes me as cheap and cowardly. But they did recently add first person only servers, so my qualm about that has been eased.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I prefer first person but third person is good too, though I share this sentiment:

Zhukov said:
There are exceptions though. Multiplayer PvP shooters are first person or nothing for me because being able to see around corners without exposing yourself is some bullshit.
Not a deal breaker but it does suck which is why I'm looking forward to the ranked first person view only mode in Playerunknown's Battlegrounds.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Zhukov said:
There are exceptions though. Multiplayer PvP shooters are first person or nothing for me because being able to see around corners without exposing yourself is some bullshit.
Not a deal breaker but it does suck which is why I'm looking forward to the ranked first person view only mode in Playerunknown's Battlegrounds.
Likewise. I've put off buying PUBG until they implement that.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It usually depends on the game, given that game play is drastically changed when you go from 1st to 3rd.

That being said...I do prefer 3rd, if only because the whole '1st person' thing doesn't end to lead it self to really engaging game play for me.

Jonbodhi

Sep 27, 2013
Third person, no contest. I play elder scrolls/fallout in 3rd person too, only going 1st person to aim my. Bow/rifle, then back to seeing what my character is decked out in this week.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
First person. third person view is terrible imo. sure you can see character but you can also see behind your back. its immersion breaking view.

theres the reason why most third person games are terrible anyways.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ezekiel said:
B-Cell said:
First person. third person view is terrible imo. sure you can see character but you can also see behind your back. its immersion breaking view.

More immersive than a guy with narrow vision lugging his guns around like a tank, always pointing straight ahead as if they're attached to his head, unable to look around as he runs and unable to sense his own legs.

Besides, you love Max Payne.
max payne 1 camera angle is different than today third person games as you move camera, your character also move thus you cant see behind back. in max payne 3 when you move camera, you cant move your character and you can clearly see behind your back and thats why i hate third person games. THEY ARE IMMERSION BREAKING GAMES!!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ezekiel said:
B-Cell said:

More immersive than a guy with narrow vision lugging his guns around like a tank, always pointing straight ahead as if they're attached to his head, unable to look around as he runs and unable to sense his own legs.

Besides, you love Max Payne.
Meh, you're both kinda right. Alot of shooters are kind of BS when it comes to looking around corners. Not many FPS give you a reasonable way to do it without being gamey, and third person shooters leave you as magic since you seem to just know where everyone is.

I wish they would make an FPS, perhaps a Rainbow Six type one, where you more realistically looked around corners and stuff.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It really depends on the game. Online mp shooter, first person. Singleplayer shooter, third. Stealth, third. RPG, both.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Third Person all the way. It not only feels less frustratingly disembodied (because the sight of the spatial position of the character compensates for the lack of other sensory feedback), it's less likely to make me physically sick, even though all kinds of 3D can do that.

Jan 19, 2016
Third. I like to see my character. I feel I can interact with the game with more clarity about where I am and what I'm doing. First person bothers me enough that I often don't buy games I would otherwise be interested in due to them being in first person. If Dying Light or Mirror's Edge had been third person or had a third person options, I would have bought them, but IMO platforming in first person is ass.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It depends on the mechanics. Some mechanics like platforming, parkour or melee combat work better in third-person than first-person; while others like aiming work better in first-person.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Like many have said in one way or another already, it depends on the type of game. It?s rare that I?ve felt any game of one type would have been better served as the other. But in the exceptional cases where the player actually gets to pick 1st or 3rd, I guess I prefer 1st? The only case I can think of are the Elder Scrolls games and the combat SUCKED when I tried the 3rd person view. Oh, and driving games, I prefer the in the car view, so 1st person there as well

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Really depends on the type of shooter. More tactical ones I prefer First cause seeing around corners and over walls is some grade A bs. But shooters where such things aren't much of a factor, and/or you can dive, flip or do other kinds of crazy shit, then third person is preferred imo.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I think I prefer FPSes, I find it more immersive.

But never once have I played a FPS or TPS and wished it was the other. Though for any TPS with aiming mechanics, I did wish aiming would bring me down to a FPS style iron sights or something cause having my character block half my screen is a big ehhh.

More often than not, games are made with their perspective in mind. So most FPS/TPS would end up a bit strange when forced to become the other.