Poll: Do you question people that play opposite gendered character in games

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Yes, yes another genderish thread,

This spurred from a discussion with a friend, but when you see someone playing a character with a gender opposite to their own do you question them over it?, be it on World of Warcraft, fighting games or whatever other game gives you a choice of male of female character.

Also does it matter to you and do you care if they do or not?

Personally I've never been asked and when asking my friends no one really cared.. So your turn escapist.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Noone gave it a second thought when male gamers played female characters in the 90s - Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Samus Aran, half the roster of every fighting game ever...

This is only a 'thing' because of online gaming, and geeks who treat World of Warcraft as a dating site.

I have no sympathy for them.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
>.> I think the way you worded it is a bit silly. Playing premade characters isn't weird...so why would anyone care? Like in fighting games...if a girl fits my play style...I'll be a girl.

Now people who create characters of opposite genders might just be speaking volumes about the way they think. ..Not that they need to be questioned. But I think a guy making a Skyrim character to look like his dream girl might be a little out of touch, I don't think it requires a looking in to.

I play both genders because I slightly believe in gender roles in games. Not that I think women belong in the kitchen, but women are typically more agile than guys >> so they work better as rangers, or casters. ..and you know..all that physiological stuff.

So no, I don't question people that do it, nor do i think it deserves questioning. Unless you're trying to really read into someones personality or something.

THERE. Made my own entertainment.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
distortedreality said:
Hello discussion value?

Where have you gone?
I wasn't looking for discussion value, just proving my point using the forum surfers.. I will go home and think of a more discussion worthy topic if you like.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Question those people how? What is there to be questioned? If you play Sonya instead of Sub-Zero, you might want to be a girl or something, instead of, dunno, liking the style of fighting more? If anybody is that stupid I wouldn't want to live on this planet any more. Are we supposed to always pick our gender? because that's pretty stupid, too. Aren't we going to question the people who play male orcs? They might be into bestiality or some shit.

Seriously, what is it that we should look for in those people who play opposing gender characters? I really want to know. I want to be prepared next time I roll a female character just because I don't like the male model or perhaps just because the mood strikes me.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I do to my slightly homophobic friend, his face when you tell him that playing as a femshep is sort of gay is priceless.

Sometimes the experience is inferior as the opposite gender, but more often than not I'll play as female. A lot of games don't really have the choice though.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Of course.

Clearly such people suffer from severe deep-seated gender identity issues.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
No, in the same way I'd not question a human playing as an Orc, or anyone playing a wizard. You can play as whatever you like, it's not really an issue.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Jynthor said:
NeutralDrow said:
No. I am one of those people.
Just giving you heads up - you only quoted without adding anything there.

OT: I still wander what we're questioning people on. I think I'll just go on and assume anybody who is playing a game that has any sort of choice has issues - play as the same gender as you - you're secretly gay (unless it's not a secret, in which case it's weird). Play as the opposite gender and you have gender issues (or if you're gay, you're secretly straight). Play as undead, you're into necrophilia. Play as a different race, you're into weirder shit. Play a class you clearly aren't, you're an escapist (ha-ha) and you have issues with reality. Play something that's the same as you and you're a mindless drone that lacks imagination.

See, now everybody has issues. And we don't even need to question what they are. We're all on the same boat.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
It all comes down to whichever gender looks cooler in X or Y game.

Though fighting games just comes down to whichever character is the quirkiest and/or most rushdowny character, regardless of gender XD

League of Legends for example. Katarina, Riven, (Pentakill) Sona, Lulu. So fucking cool!

"Come on you! Let's dance! Ha!"

Now the cool male people... Yi, Gangplank and... Veigar. Huh

I don't even mean to go exclusively for the ladies (all seven of my preferred Champions are female.) It just colludes naturally with my "go with whatever is coolest" mentality. Now to fail terribly with Riven until I figure out how her point blank range everything works.

So I think it's something like:

Her 3 hit Q combo with pauses for her passive autoattacks between strikes, W/E if they start to get away and R if you just want to go Super Saiyan

"The time for talk is over..."

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Usually I don't, but sometimes I HAVE to do it... I can't see playing it any other way. Fallout 3/NV, for example, must be played as a female character. I have no idea why. The same goes for race. I am white and I must play Dark Souls as a black person; I can't stand playing any other character (this one I think stems from Diablo 2's black paladin).

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Pretty much every game character is a dude and I'm not so spend most of the time playing opposite gender and then sometimes when I can pick I go dudes too just to see what it's like. It's escapism and it's not like going a female character is game is the same as spending a day as one in real life and doesn't give you a deep insight into the female experience it's mostly a palette swap, and people will pick on what they think looks best or what takes their fancy most of the time.