Poll: Do you smoke tobacco?

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Both my parents smoke.

They used to point out how I was 'wasting money' on video games.

I pointed out how ironic that was.

They haven't said it since :D
Exactly what I did. I even did the math and showed them that they were actually paying more on cigarettes than I was on video games.

Apr 25, 2009
Yeah, only three or four cigarettes a day at this point though. I don't smoke at work because my boss will go apeshit, but I have one on my lunchbreak, one in the morning and two after work.

I find it relaxing and it helps me feel better.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Both my parents smoke.

They used to point out how I was 'wasting money' on video games.

I pointed out how ironic that was.

They haven't said it since :D

OT: No, I do not smoke. I can't for the life of me fathom why someone would pay to kill themselves slowly. It's much quicker and cheaper to jump in a lake :D
Perhaps they are, like me, still struggling with the existential dilemma? I've smoked for a couple years, tried to quit a couple times, and come back every time. Apart from the fact that the withdrawals are difficult and make me really depressed, I just love smoking. It always makes me think of that TS Elliot poem

T.S. Elliot said:
The whole world is a hospital
Endowed by the ruined millionaire.
Wherein, should we do well,
we will die of the absolute parental care,
that will not leave us,
But prevents us everywhere.
Which is to say that we will all die some day, and for a smoker like myself there is this struggle between the desire to live longer, and the realization that if I don't do the things I like to do with my life, then I'm already dead. One could of course make the perfectly valid argument that I could find any number of other things that I love which won't slowly kill me. And they'd be right. But they also don't know the joys of that first smoke of the day.

Chances are neither of us is right.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
I do not smoke, but only really for one reason- because it's quite expensive, and I'd rather spend my money on useful things.
Like video games.

I don't understand why some people get so up in arms about the smell, though. It doesn't bother me, and it can add atmosphere to some places.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Chose yes but only on a limited basis. I limit it to a cigar if I'm out with the guys drinking. Never had one outside of such occasions and I've already made a rule that if I do, I quit.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Yeap. For about 8 years, before that only when drinking. About 1-2 packs a day, depending.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
No, and I never will. I like my fresh air, and as someone who performs, I'd like to take care of my lungs so I can sing and project at maximum capacity. Plus it costs a lot of money and smells bad.

MalkavianLunatic

Nov 8, 2010
Personally, I've been smoking for about thirteen years now and continue to do so. I have tried to quit a few times, but so far have only met with failure. *laughs*

And yet, even with a nearly a pack a day habit, I hate it. It's expensive, it's unhealthy and I've put burns into so many clothes from accidents it's insane. And all because, when I was in high school, I had a 'bad day'. It sounds kind of silly, but that was my only motivation to start smoking. A bad day.

I wish I'd never started smoking but the physical and psychological addiction can be harsh. Someday I'll manage to quit... *wistful sigh* Someday...

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
No, and I'm afraid I'm one of those people that is quite bothered when people are doing it around me. In public places that allow smoking it bothers me but I don't get particularly angry (would rather them go away, but I understand I could just go someplace else as well). What does bother me quite a bit is when people do it where they're not supposed to (when I worked at Disney World I was constantly having to get people to move on to smoking areas because they were too damned lazy to go over and use them), and when people do it in an enclosed space with children. In the home, in the car...you can do whatever damage you want to your body, but you've got to be a particularly selfish and apathetic person to do such collateral damage on a daily basis.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
No. I see people everyday at work at have smoked their whole life, resulting in COPD, CHF, stroke, A-fib, and every type of cancer imaginable. I will go no where near smoking.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
I started smoking about 10 years ago. But since I discovered the joys of snus [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus] it has been less.
I prefer snuff myself... always take a tin to evening do's!

OT: I am a pipe smoker... although I only smoke it in evenings due to the ammount of time and effort it takes!

I amsolutely love it... and pipe tobacco tastes so much better!

I also am a considerate smoker... I always pay attention to wind, and make sure I am a distance away from other people! Although other smokers tend to flock near me because pipe tobacco smells so damn good! :p

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Nope. Never have, never will. Smoking kills, and I don't want to die just yet.
Plus, it makes you smell like smoked ass.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
sigh i use to, but after doing some math i decided it was to expensive, damn government with all these ridiculous taxes on tobacco... if it was cheaper id still be smoking, the taxes on tobacco products keeps rising so its not worth it. ive been tobacco free for over a year and a half and i still wish i could light up. but the problem is the addiction it causes it is very hard to be an occasional smoker so i quit altogether. at least i can comfort myself with all the money i have saved :)

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I do smoke tobacco in the form of cigarettes. I started when i was about 18 and i'm 25 now. My reason mostly due to stresses in life.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I put "previously" since over the last year or so I've smoked a few cigarettes and a few cigars, nothing for about three months though and I wouldn't make a habit of it, I'll confess smoking is surprisingly pleasurable though for those wondering why someone would smoke.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Nope, never. Asthmatic, and the smell makes me gag.

And, y'know, the health effects and the expense.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Yeah, but only when I'm drinking with friends, which you could say is an average of once, maybe twice a week. And I'd have between 4 and 8 rolled cigarettes on such a night. Occasionally the premade ones, though I don't like them much in comparison. And in fact, I much prefer the taste of a good joint to even my best rolled cigarette. Much smoother and less irritating on the throat.

Humble Grapefruit

Jun 17, 2011
Being a runner, I have never smoked a cigarette. I have, however, smoked cigars on special occasions. They are wonderful.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i just hate even being near cigarettes, the smell gives me a huge sinus headache and if im stuck around them downwind i actually get small ashma attacks. i seriously dont even understand why young teenagers/adults are taking up smoking, they know exactly what happens if they smoke but they do it anyways. my dad smoked a couple a day since he was a kid. he had a small heart attack 2 years ago and from that day on he hasnt touched a cigarette and i am very proud of him.