Poll: Do you support evolution?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
I was searching the other day for a recent poll on how many people believe evolution vs. creationism, but the only ones I could find were over a year old. So I decided to bring the question to you, the Escapist viewers. I probably won't get many people in the 54+ age group, but all polls have some element of bias. So, which do you believe? Feel free to tear each other apart in the comments.

EDIT: All right, maybe believe was the wrong word. How does 'support' sound?

EDIT 2: Just shut up about the grammar, please. You either support evolution or you don't. The wording doesn't matter.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I'm a bit saddened that this is really a contest. The evidence is clearly in favour of evolution. I say this as a Christian.

So yes, Chalk me up as one for team science I guess.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Erm, no I don't believe in evolution. I don't believe in air either, nor do I believe in H[sub]2[/sub]O being the chemical formula for water. I don't really believe in cars, either. I don't see any of those not existing.

EDIT: Wait, is that Science with a capital S? And an exclamation point? Wow, hell yeah, I'm op for Science! - where can I get my goggles and some clockwork+steam to join up the team?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Of course. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who doesn't, even those who are religious.
Bingo. I've mentioned this before. Evolution totally happened. It's just that alot of religious people can't adjust their views to the idea that the all-powerful god - who is, you know, all-powerful - made all this shit happen. Universe from an initial boom? Let there be light. Adam and Eve? The ascension of primitive man from something more animal than intelligent being to an upstanding hairless mammal. Obviously, I'm speaking only from the Catholic perspective, but you see where I'm going with this. The point is that we don't have to be afraid that science is going to go all Hitchhiker's Guide on us and make god disappear in a puff of logic. In any belief system where the diety is everywhere and nowhere and omni-lots-of-things and very mysterious, there is no reason why science should be a threat. God obviously knows science too!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
FalloutJack said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Of course. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who doesn't, even those who are religious.
Bingo. I've mentioned this before. Evolution totally happened. It's just that alot of religious people can't adjust their views to the idea that the all-powerful god - who is, you know, all-powerful - made all this shit happen. Universe from an initial boom? Let there be light. Adam and Eve? The ascension of primitive man from something more animal than intelligent being to an upstanding hairless mammal. Obviously, I'm speaking only from the Catholic perspective, but you see where I'm going with this. The point is that we don't have to be afraid that science is going to go all Hitchhiker's Guide on us and make god disappear in a puff of logic. In any belief system where the diety is everywhere and nowhere and omni-lots-of-things and very mysterious, there is no reason why science should be a threat. God obviously knows science too!
^Just in case, that song isn't about the eradication of science in favor of religion, it's about how once upon a time, science and spirituality were one, and we were better for it.
I've often questioned why the idea of a creator couldn't co-exists with what little we know about how the universe works and how it was made.
If there is an intelligent force, it would have to be the greatest scientist of all.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I don't really see the point in pitting God against Science, at least not in a discussion about evolution and creation. Yes, a lot of religious (and some non-religious) people believe God is incompatible with evolution, but given the fact that ideas such as theistic evolution and evolutionary creationism exist, there's obviously people that have coincided the idea of God and evolution, understanding the Bible probably isn't the greatest source for scientific material (even it indicates it was never meant to be a book of science, just religious doctrine).

In any case, yes, I accept evolution. I find the pseudoscientific nonsense that spewed out in order to "prove" it never happened more like a comedian making an ironic joke than people actually being serious about their ideas. Which only makes it worse when you consider how serious some people are when spouting out that nonsense.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Can't religion be the answer to why, and evolution could be the how?

Just something I thought I would add. I'm for evolution to be honest.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
T0ad 0f Truth said:
I'm a bit saddened that this is really a contest. The evidence is clearly in favour of evolution. I say this as a Christian.

Same sentiment exactly.
Although I threw my hat into the abstaining ring, I don't like debates.
Personally, and this has been pointed out already:
FalloutJack said:
Yep, that right there.
Maybe I'm not convicted in my faith enough or whatever but I never saw why science and religion can't coexist. The systems of science are obviously there, they clearly exist, I don't see why I can't say that God put them there.

No let me just get this because I know the can of worms a statement like that can open.

I'm surprised a few of you don't have one, you are braver men than I.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Evolution is a thing that happens clearly. But If we're talking the origin of the universe, I find creationism more likely with evolution happening as an after effect.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
torno said:
I have the power of awesome and badass. Makes me rather resilient against the power of flame.

Plus, I just make sense, or make funny, when I talk. Proven combination in these cases.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
As a once-Catholic-turned-Atheist, I'm all for science! It's pretty hard to not believe it in some form, anyway, so I think we're going to get overwhelming results in this poll.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I believe that the things we create can evolve. Art, technology and so on can evolve. But it's a shame how scientists who believe in intelligent design are being taken out of the picture. I couldn't believe that Bill the science guy and Lavar Burton (who I grew up watching reading rainbow with) passed off creationism as meaningless, antiquated fallacy.

I find that modern science is boring. The museum of Natural History is without wonder now because we can somehow explain everything. I don't want to know everything, and I certainly don't want to be able to explain everything. I want to socialize with people who have studied things that I haven't studied, and see where our knowledge connects.

I blame the extreme conservative people. They have no idea who they are representing - they represent themselves and call that God. It's ridiculous. So many people have been turned off by this extreme stance that we now have the opposite extreme - angry atheists who are just as bad.

This jaded desire to explain everything has crept into art and also video game design. Everyone wants things to be explained down to the minute detail, otherwise it's drivel. I'm not into it.

So I vote for Creationism b/c I really don't want to know everything that there is to know. I want to be kept informed, I want to continue learning, but I also want to be blown away when I learn something new. I don't want to be like Darwin who said quote: "A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections - a mere heart of stone".

I can not get down with that. It's called lying to yourself. What are we doing when we take our affections out of the equation entirely?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Of course I do because its real, that's like asking if I believe in gravity. The fact that organisms change over time isn't even up for discussion, it is a fact.

Also your poll is a false dichotomy. You can be religious but still be accepting of scientific fact, plenty of people do.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
gamernerdtg2 said:
I can not get down with that. It's called lying to yourself. What are we doing when we take our affections out of the equation entirely?
Being pragmatic?

Which means taking everything within context, not allowing emotions to change how we view something.

When interacting with other living creatures of COURSE emotions should be taken into consideration, but acting on emotion has far more often than not resulted in some pretty shitty outcomes. In fact I would say a majority of issues facing us today is tackling problems from an emotional perspective rather than a rational and pragmatic one.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Just nobody say "it's just a theory."

Yep, just the highest level of well-substantiated phenomonological explanations that have been repeatedly tested and never failed.

Just that.

gamernerdtg2 said:
So I vote for Creationism b/c I really don't want to know everything that there is to know. I want to be kept informed, I want to continue learning, but I also want to be blown away when I learn something new. I don't want to be like Darwin who said quote: "A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections - a mere heart of stone".

As a scientist, I would argue that your perceptions of scientists and science in general are deeply flawed. For me, science is my art, and i Paint in matter. And I'm blown away all the time by what falls out.

[sub]biblical literalism under the guise of intelligent design and creationism is antiquated fallacy though, no doubt. Those scientists aren't being drummed out, they're drumming themselves out. It's like a 911 truther coming to an engineering conference talking about obvious controlled detonation. No one is going to listen.[/sub]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:

yeah, as a Christian I'm disappointed when people try and put God in a box saying "he can't make this or that happen" If we are to believe that God is all powerful, why say he can't have designed evolution?