Poll: Do You Think A Game With A Homosexual Lead Could Survive?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Xabekrn said:
I Don't recall link being gay and IDK if its been asked before lol I didn't ask if it had xD. And I don't mean like how you can choose to be gay in Fable I mean like what if a new Tales game came out (I'm a big Tales fan) and the love intrest was Man and Man
Sorry if I appear condescending here but I'm going to give you a little tip: Ignore anyone who tells you to use the search bar or that your topic has already been done. Seriously, with the amount of threads added on these forums every day, it's near impossible not to imitate something done before.

Anyway to answer your question, yeah I think the more mature gaming audience could cope with a gay protaganist in a game.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
BolognaBaloney said:
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
LINK IS GAY! - that is all
Got proof?
Oh come on, the tights, the humping zombies, the inability to speak other than moan while "fighting" or "getting hit" plus....Tingle
Even superheroes wear tights. Does that make them all Gay? So you're saying mutes are Gay?
They didn't hump..well kinda but it was in two games lol. Tingle is Tingle

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
A lot of FPSs where the main character is a completely blank slate; if the player is gay, then so is the character? Like Gordon Freeman. I dunno.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
It would be an interesting addition if it was just a part of the story and not the gameplay, otherwise it wouldn't work. But I would love to see something like this in the future.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Got proof?
Oh come on, the tights, the humping zombies, the inability to speak other than moan while "fighting" or "getting hit" plus....Tingle
Even superheroes wear tights. Does that make them all Gay? So you're saying mutes are Gay?
Regarding the tights, why does he feel he needs to wear them, zelda's obviously not interested in his junk, so why outline, unless it's for someone else.....

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
Boober the Pig said:
Fear Effect had two gay women as the leads. For most games it wouldn't matter because it would never come up. Is Samus straight? She never has contact with other people in games so it never comes up. Almost all romance in games is ham handed and badly carried out so it doesn't really matter if they are gay or not, it usually doesn't come into play.
I second you sir/M'am!
Don't shoehorn in love scenes for no reason as its mostly embaressingly painfull. A love story requires the STORY regardless of the sex of the participants. Final fantasy 7,8,9 did the romances pretty well (esp 8). But like tradgey and comedy romance is an art and can easily but shite..Lost Oddsey's dialouge anyone?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
BolognaBaloney said:
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Got proof?
Regarding the tights, why does he feel he needs to wear them, zelda's obviously not interested in his junk, so why outline, unless it's for someone else.....
You mean...Ganondorf? Uggh..just picturing those two is...ugh lol.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Darkrai said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Got proof?
You mean...Ganondorf? Uggh..just picturing those two is...ugh lol.
Ouch...now my head hurts

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
TheTygerfire said:
Abedeus said:
Wait, why would you make a gay character? What's the point? Just to show some support?
Maybe because it's interesting and a new way to look at a story?
Well its not really interesting unless you are interested in being gay or gay lifestyle or whatever and as homosexuality is a minority i dont think that alone would be enough to shift the games. And just because its new doesnt mean its good, the nazi party for example "Hey kids, we are the "cool" NEW political party on the block so vote for us... and later regret it, YEAH!".

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Johnmw said:
Boober the Pig said:
Fear Effect had two gay women as the leads. For most games it wouldn't matter because it would never come up. Is Samus straight? She never has contact with other people in games so it never comes up. Almost all romance in games is ham handed and badly carried out so it doesn't really matter if they are gay or not, it usually doesn't come into play.
I second you sir/M'am!
Don't shoehorn in love scenes for no reason as its mostly embaressingly painfull. A love story requires the STORY regardless of the sex of the participants. Final fantasy 7,8,9 did the romances pretty well (esp 8). But like tradgey and comedy romance is an art and can easily but shite..Lost Oddsey's dialouge anyone?

No, NO! You stop it now, STOP IT! If the Final Fantasy people read this they will think that including romance into everything was a good idea! Final Fantasy 7 had a strong and political story, it didnt need the romance but everything today has some kind of romance story in it when the people who are going to watch/play/read it dont even want to waste their time with that crap in a media format!
Also, I think Lost Oddysey's dialogue was supposed to outline how you would have probably ran out of tings to say after a thousand years and you would be very bored Kaims face for example.

TLMG

Feb 2, 2009
Use it as a selling point.

Free publicity from Fox! (calling it immoral and such, but any publicity is good publicity. Look what it did for mass effect)

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I voted for 'Maybe'. It really depends if the character is gay for gayness sake or if it's helping the game's storyline.
For the 'Jesus!!!' factor check out the trailer of Captain Rainbow...

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
Evil Jak said:
No, NO! You stop it now, STOP IT! If the Final Fantasy people read this they will think that including romance into everything was a good idea! Final Fantasy 7 had a strong and political story, it didnt need the romance but everything today has some kind of romance story in it when the people who are going to watch/play/read it dont even want to waste their time with that crap in a media format!
Also, I think Lost Oddysey's dialogue was supposed to outline how you would have probably ran out of tings to say after a thousand years and you would be very bored Kaims face for example.
LOL :D Totally agree on Lost oddysey!

FF7 had arguably the best love story but only after Aeris *cough*. It didnt dominate and didnt come to any form of happy ending, tifa just sat around pining away...just how a romance plot should.

Beery

May 26, 2004
I played Knights of the Old Republic as a gay female, so yes, clearly a game with a gay lead character can survive - and even succeed.

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
Aren't games with homosexual leads called, "Final Fantasy" or to be even more generic JRPGS?

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
I think he means a game where the main character is obviously gay, not bisexual or of player-specified preference.

Anyway, I think there's been a few such characters, just not in really high-profile games. I doubt it would hurt even a hyped-up game's marketability as long as it was handled with some dignity, though.