Poll: Do you think From Software is a one trick pony?

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Enchanted Arms, dammit!

I think your question is, is the souls series a one trick pony. And the answer is yes. It kicks arse. That's its trick.

p.s. DkS2 was the step up. DkS1 will be erased from the history books.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Technically, no, but considering that the Souls games are the only ones getting attention, and since Demon Souls release, only three non Souls games were released by them outside of Japan (only one of which people really seem to know about, and even then only because of how bad it is), it certainly seems that way.

And on top of that, the Souls games all share pretty much the exact same gameplay, narrative, design, HUD, shit even font.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
I think we need a definition of a one-trick pony. Most people seem to be assuming that it's a company that only makes one kind of game, and therefore listing other types of games by From Software invalidates the argument. I'd say that's not quite right - a one trick pony, like a one-hit wonder, only has one type of game that is *profitable, well-regarded and popular*. If it makes a bunch of other games that are widely regarded as crap and one really good series, it's still a one-trick pony.

That said, I still don't think From Software counts. They make Soul-style games, but Armored Core is still profitable, well-regarded and popular, at least in a niche market. So really, they're more of a two-trick pony.

Fox12 said:
No, of course not. The director falls into a certain style, and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's normal. Nobody calls Kojima a one trick pony.
But people *do* call Kojima a one-trick pony. If you've never heard anyone do so, I'll do it now: Kojima is a one-trick pony. Other than Metal Gear, what has he done? Zone of Enders, a mediocre series that no one remembers save for the MGS2 demo? That series hasn't seen a new release in over a decade, and no one is clamoring for one.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Armored Core and Tenchu were wildly different and much loved games.

I'd say they just found a massively successful game type and are owning the heck out of it. People can complain if they don't like the franchise but it makes crazy money and sells a ton.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
beastro said:
Someone and someone else also forgot Tenchu, damnit!!!

I don't think Tenchu really counts as a From Software game, because they don't actually develop the series, they're just the publisher. And they've only been the publisher since Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven. They had nothing to do with the pictured game at all. The only Tenchu game that From actually developed themselves was the poorly-regarded XBLA game Shadow Assault: Tenchu.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
All artists are one trick ponies. That's why it's called vision - not visions. Many artists have the ability to make it seem as if they are doing "different things" while the core theme (or, vision) remains the same.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
I think Souls is their focus because its the fans' focus, and its what bringing in the money.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes, they have turned into it. Most of the people there that worked on games that are really different than the Soul series are likely not even there.

But lets be fair, most studios are based around one-tricks; one shouldn't expect games from Infinity Ward that are not FPS, or graphic adventures from Telltale, or fighting games from Arc System Works.

Sure, one in a while, they can make an odd game to flex their creative muscle (like when Ubisoft made Child of Eden, or Double Fine made Costume Quest), but they are often small projects by a few people. For the big games, every one knows what is expected of each company, because they built their talent around that "trick".

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
To give some perspective, your assumption that they are a one trick pony comes from looking at only 4 of the 14 games they have created in the last 6 years alone, out of 63 games they have created in the history of the company. From horror games to ninja games to arguably the most successful Mech series ever made, and even a short series staring princesses that could summon monsters using magical cards, From Software has a highly varied production history. While the souls series has been their flagship franchise in recent years, it hardly the only thing they have ever done. It isn't even the only thing they are doing right now.

So no. Not a one trick pony.

TL:DR - I was a from fanboy before it was coooool!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
A "one-trick pony" school of game design would have to work along the lines of something even more reductive than, say, Scott Games' "Five Nights at Freddy's" series.

Imagine a similar series of games, where the only thing that changes from title to title is the art direction. The mechanics stay exactly the same, the responsiveness stays the same - maybe bug fixes would be implemented if we were lucky, but that's it. That would be a good example of "one trick pony"-esque design. FNaF avoids that pitfall because each entry mixes up your starting parameters, pushes you out of the comfort zone you sink in as soon as you've grasped the layout and mechanics of the previous title.

FromSoft isn't quite so calcified as to stick to one set of mechanics and never diverge from them. Their list of games has been brought up before, and a few titles they made didn't have anything in common with the Souls games. If anything, the Souls games are indicative of FromSoft finding a formula that works and tweaking it over several releases. If anything, Bloodborne is an extension of that effort. After the cautious approach that Dark Souls 1 and 2 fostered, the design team wanted to egg the players into a more aggressive mindset. They changed a few mechanics adequately, after confirming that they still had a solid foundation to work with.

If anything, the real offenders for a complete lack of innovation would have to be sports games licensors. Every new title isn't much more than a roster update with prettier graphics and the exact same control scheme, except when someone gets it in their minds to wedge in something that appeals to the tactician or the twitch gamer.

Captcha: Yellow-belly.
Yeah, that's what EA Sports is, basically. Afraid of breaking a formula that works, because its main audience isn't interested in gameplay, so much as the rote reproduction of what's on their TV screens every game night.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
CannibalCorpses said:
I chose other because apart from Tenchu their games are pretty much boring shit.

"I know what you want, you want the stone..."
They only did Tenchu Z(the worst) Aquire did the first second and "fourth"(Wii) game. And then with the other two, they were developed by a dev team called K2 LLC and published by Activision and Sega. At least the copies we got.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Even if they are, if the one trick this pony does is a really, really good one, then who cares? I enjoyed the hell out of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and DS2 (though admittedly I liked the first DS much more than DS2) and I'm psyched to play Bloodborne, so does it really matter? It's not like there aren't plenty of other games out there for me to play.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
At least judging off the different styles of their pre-Souls games I wouldn't say so.

If you're going to be worried, though, be worried over how now that they're finally not (relatively) obscure, they may just end up making more versions of Demon's Souls and not branching out like they used to.

Even then I'm not opposed to it. Naughty Dog basically made the same game three times with Uncharted, but they then took the mechanics of it to make The Last of Us, and infinitely better game. Gears of War 3 was just an extension to Gears of War 2 (I will fight you on Gears 2 standing on its own compared to Gears 1), but they then tweaked it just enough to give Gears Judgment a new playstyle and tone. Bloodborne seems to have gone for that, similar mechanics to Demon's Souls but it's a new style.

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
What no one's mentioned From's most infamous game..

STEEL BATTALION: HEAVY ARMOUR (yes, the Kinect one)

oh no...

Maybe it's best that they just keep remaking the Souls games :p

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
They're like a collective auteur [as long as Miyazaki's at the helm], who happen to be making some of the finest slices of gaming I've ever seen. So no, not really.

Terrence Malick makes very Terrence Malick-y films.
Tarantino makes very--- well, you already get the idea. Gaming needs more auteur-esque companies and developers.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
soren7550 said:
And on top of that, the Souls games all share pretty much the exact same gameplay, narrative, design, HUD, shit even font.

The screenshots are Dark 1, Dark 1, Dark 2, and Bloodborne in that order. What do I win?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Benpasko said:
soren7550 said:

The screenshots are Dark 1, Dark 1, Dark 2, and Bloodborne in that order. What do I win?
Huh... could have sworn that I used a different picture. Will edit it.

And you're right... I think.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
8 hours into Bloodborne... lol no. While hud, certain aesthetic similarities, and obvious control scheme are the same, they've managed to make me proud here with their different approach to gameplay and in the past with 3D Dot Game Hero, Shadow Tower, and even though I'm a filthy american whose not allowed to touch this game, Metal Wolf Chaos (looks good... MUST BE GOOD THEN!), are well executed games in their regards.

Once Bloodborne solidifies itself as the best, f*** 3rd person dungeon crawler ponies. Give me more 3D dot and METAL WOLF ponies!