Poll: Do you think schools should be able to punish you for things you did outside of school?

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
The DSM said:
They relinquish all responisiblity when you're off their property, so if you get ran over in the street, its you fault, not theres.
Fixed.

Although most people will still hold the school responsible if an incident happens relatively close to school property and the faculty does nothing.

Though anything you do that involves/represents your school , you are responsible for your conduct. Otherwise just watch what you do, and ever have on articles of clothing that bare your school symbol if you plan on doing something questionable. A lot of schools will come down on a student since their actions will reflect negatively on that school.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
What if you were in school uniform, and after school you decided to egg the school. They should be able to punish you at school, then although obviously not in all cases, that's be just stupid.

SnarkyNinja

Dec 10, 2009
I'll agree with basically everyone in here, and say no, the school should mind its own damn business.

However, in response to the first question, it really does depend on whether it was a private or public school. While totally unfair, a private school could, would, and will expel a student for actions off of school grounds. I can kind of understand this, because they actually have to compete for students, and the reputation of a private school is its main way of generating business. They don't want to be the one private school that has bad students attending.

Public schools, on the other hand, should pack that shit in. They aren't going anywhere, and attendance is mandatory. If it doesn't involve the school, the school shouldn't involve itself.

Miss_M

Jun 10, 2009
I think it depends entirely on the situation. For example, underage drinking round a friend's house - no. Underage drinking, public urination and fist fighting in the street whilst wearing your school uniform - yes. Dealing drugs - yes. If you are bringing the institution into disrepute in any way then I believe that they have a right to punish you. If you're not harming anyone and aren't representing your school in anyway then the school should stay out of it.In the example given at the start of the thread I think it was wrong of the school to suspend that kid - he wasn't trying to do harm, he was just being a drunken berk, like most people do from time to time!

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Unless you've organised to beat the living crap out of someone else outside of school, while at school, teachers, principles shouldn't be able to do anything.

Although, antidote here: Last year was my final year of school and my year was about to go on their treasure hunt (a muck up day sort of thing). The night before a group of skanks sluts er, female students had gone around vandalising the property of girls from the same group. Long story about girl A's boyfriend cheating with girl B from that group and the group splitting up defending their sides. Although this happened outside of school hours, it was planned during school so the police were called and both principles met the vandals at the gate.

That was better than the muck up day.

bowserboy26578

Oct 23, 2008
My school tries to dothis with the internet too. If you mention them in any way, you get suspended. Real realistic isn't it. so just to spite them screw you Jim Thorpe Area School District. What are you going to do, I'm anonamous. And if you want stupid, they search theirselves on google everyday to make sure.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
I voted "maybe, depending on the situation". Let me clarify.

If the out of school activity was an activity that was fueled from behavior that occurred in school, then yes, I think the school has a right to get involved.

For example, a kid is being bullied and harassed at school. During the school holidays, this kid gets cornered and beaten up by the people who were bullying him. When school goes back, I believe the group who attacked him should be punished for not only verbally harassing the kid in school, but also the assault of the kid outside of school. This is because there is a direct link between what happened in school and what happened out of school.

If it is a situation where it is an isolated incident. For example a kid getting drunk and falling on a girls arm at a party, then no. It's none of the school's business and it is unfair for the kid to be punished.

Phototoxin

Mar 11, 2009
Yes we need more orwellianism in the UK.

Seriously I am homeschooling my kids. UK schools are rubbish unless you pay. They specifically do not help gifted kids !

A Random Reader

Nov 18, 2009
HokutanZ said:
Now do you think they should be able to? A kid i knew got drunk at a party fell and broke a girls arm he was suspended do you think he should have gotten punished?
No. The school should only punish you for something that you did in school or is related to school.

Yes if the girl went to that school and her learning was affected.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
There was a bit of a standoff between my old school and a rival school literally 5 minutes down the road. So the deputy head came out and put everyone in 7pm detentions and threatened suspension because we were still wearing our school ties and could be tied in with the school.

The UK sucks on so many levels.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
arc101 said:
My school does this with the internet, and mention of it online and it comes down on us like a ton of bloody bricks
You're suspended, kiddo!

What, you don't think we monitor every forum on the net? You would be wrong.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
No, you are out of the schools care, so they have no authority over you. Unless it was in the school grounds while school wasn't on.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
bowserboy26578 said:
My school tries to dothis with the internet too. If you mention them in any way, you get suspended. Real realistic isn't it. so just to spite them screw you Jim Thorpe Area School District. What are you going to do, I'm anonamous. And if you want stupid, they search theirselves on google everyday to make sure.
May I join?

Jim Thorpe Area School District, FUCK YOU!

I'm that fat kid with umm...ginger hair...and a baseball cap. Please suspend me

I really hope someone gets suspended :3