Poll: Do you think Star Wars VII will be a good movie?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
If it's an above average movie, people will be treating it as the best sci-fi movie in existence like how people claimed Mad Max: Fury Road being the best action movie of all time.
Well, if it isn't than it's certainly a damn fine contender. But more than that it was an R-rated action BLOCKBUSTER, on the scale of, like, a Terminator 2 or True Lies; Something we'd never thought we ever see again. Even the good action movies of today seem relegated to almost being indie movies, like Dredd and John Wick. So to see Fury Road be this almost Lord of the Rings sized adult action movie, and a really damn good one at that, was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime moment.

And also the return of big practical effects and stunts, and the fact that this was the 4th sequel of an old dorment franchise that was not only not crap, but maybe even the best entry in the series.

Yeah, I like this movie.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
No, but I say that as someone who hasn't actually really liked any movies this decade. Listed about 10 that are tolerable but that's it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
JJ doesn't really make bad movies. Sure, they can be fairly uninspired, and in the case of Star Trek, may not stay true to the original material, but I think he's overall a fairly decent director. I doubt this movie will please the most hardcore fans of the original trilogy, but I don't really care. This might sound blasphemous, but I only really liked episodes 5 and 6. 4 was just okay for me.

For me, Star Wars has had 2 great movies, 2 okayish movies, and 2 garbage movies. I'm betting that this will be better than 4 of them. I don't care if it stays true to the originals, I just want it to be good. I get that this sounds terrible for the people who grew up with the original trilogy, but I grew up with the prequels and Lucas's tinkering with the originals, so that kind of skews my judgment of the series as a whole. At this point, I'd be perfectly fine with a departure as long as it's not too drastic (like making it super dark and gritty).

Regardless of how good it ends up being, I'm sure there will be tons of people complaining about lens flare and the use of blue and orange since that's the cool thing to do nowadays. Though, I did laugh at the big lens flare in the dead centre of the newly released poster, so I'll probably enjoy the memes either way.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
I'm almost sure it will be a competent something-above-'meh'. Just like several previous Abrams' movies.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I want it to be good. But I'm starting to see some disturbing signs that worry me. I don't have the hate-on for J.J. Abrams that some folks have, in fact I like several of the things he's produced and directed and written and such. A Star Wars movie should be hyped, but so much focus when tickets went on sale was on things like fandango going down and presale numbers being huge... well, frankly that's all nothing new. I've seen fandango go down from traffic in a day where 2 middling releases were all that were new. Big releases usually tax such ticket services. I see the "hype for pre-sale" buzz as less about the movie and more about getting the biggest numbers before word of mouth gets around. I don't see the usual J.J. Abrams "magic box" nonsense surrounding Star Wars. Could be because Disney has their hands clamped down more than other houses J.J. has worked under... and maybe they're all more than a little afraid to let everyone peek under the hood. The trailer released Monday night had very little substance to it. It was a bog-standard montage of "Phowarr!" and "I remember those guys" clips with little else added. And I've seen both Lucasfilm and Bad Robot make WAAAYYYYY better trailers.

These things may be nothing and it could be fine... great even. But I just haven't seen anyone involved with the final project "calling his shot." No real good evidence that anyone really thinks they hit a home run. Again it could have been a legal or Disney thing... but I didn't see the Bad Robot graphic before the trailer. All of J.J.'s other projects have had them... could be nothing though.

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
Personally I don't think JJ is a good director and the star treks, especially into darkness made me physically ill with how utterly stupid they were. Beyond that, the hype for Ep. VII has gotten to such extreme heights that i am already getting star wars fatigue.

That said, who knows. They still have a great team behind the film. I am just trying not to buy into the hype as to not be so horribly disappointed like after Ep. I was released.

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
I have it on very good authority from people whose taste and expertise in the field of what makes a good film I trust that it will be everything we've dreamed of and more. So yes, I do and I'm excited as heck.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
inu-kun said:
I might be veering off-topic, but HOW? The movie has no memorable villain, no actual plot, no violence and no meaningful message (for example Robocop had all of those). The only thing that it had going for it is visuals and design.
It's like saying painting X is the best painting ever because you liked the watercolours.
Well then, to veer more off-topic...

The movie had Immortan Joe, Slit, and the Bullet Farmer. All terrific villains. If you disagree then... well, what can I say?

The plot is 'escape from a prison'. Many if not most movies' plots can be brought down to just one short sentence. If you're talking about plot as in exposition, than no, it doesn't. And that's what makes the movie great; Visual story telling at its finest, no meaningless talk. The opening shot of Max next to the Intercepter says everything we need to know about him. Furiosa goes off-road and the warboys on her rig don't instantly turn on her says they respect her judgement and/or are simply trained to follow orders. Max first encounter with Furiosa where they're just staring eachother down, recognizing the other's potential threat. Nux naming the cancers in his neck, indicating he's had them for a very long time, and giving motivation as to why these warboys would want a glorious death and live eternally in heaven. All of this is world and character building without direct exposition, and it's done fantastically.

Unless you're confusing violence with gore, there was plenty. You have people getting shot in the head with arrows, people getting run over, someone getting cut open, a guy's eyes destroyed by glass, dude getting owned by a chainsaw, a stabbing, and last but certainly not least a certain jaw getting ripped out of someone's head. Don't know where you're getting the non-violence from.

And the message is to not run away from your problems and that men and women can't fix the issues they have with one another by keeping to themselves. That's what the whole 'There is no green place' represents, and why it was important that they turned around and went back.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Yeah, Star Wars looks pretty cool espescially since it seems to be in the style of the classic movies. Not the biggest fan of the franchise, but I tend to enjoy movies I have zero hype for the most. :p

Casual Shinji said:
So to see Fury Road be this almost Lord of the Rings sized adult action movie, and a really damn good one at that, was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime moment.
I don't get the praise this movie gets. I've seen it recently and it bored me to tears. Story sucks, characters suck, zero atmosphere. It's like watching 2 hours of a traveling circus with Max dancing on top a of a truck like a drunk acrobate. There is also nothing apocalyptic about the movie because everyone is dressed like a fucking clown(including the face paint) and behaves as such. The villain is an over-the-top, laughable joke and Max an emo grump in a midlife-crisis. And except for a short moment in the intro Max can't even be found in his car for the rest of the entire film(!)

Mad Max 1 and 2 were awesome. Kick-ass and scary atmosphere with an authentic sense of place that made you wonder that the world might actually look like this after the end of civilization. Fury Road just looks like a parody of this. Crap movie is even worse than Terminator 3.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
This might sound blasphemous, but I only really liked episodes 5 and 6. 4 was just okay for me.

For me, Star Wars has had 2 great movies, 2 okayish movies, and 2 garbage movies. I'm betting that this will be better than 4 of them. I don't care if it stays true to the originals, I just want it to be good. I get that this sounds terrible for the people who grew up with the original trilogy, but I grew up with the prequels and Lucas's tinkering with the originals, so that kind of skews my judgment of the series as a whole. At this point, I'd be perfectly fine with a departure as long as it's not too drastic (like making it super dark and gritty).

Regardless of how good it ends up being, I'm sure there will be tons of people complaining about lens flare and the use of blue and orange since that's the cool thing to do nowadays. Though, I did laugh at the big lens flare in the dead centre of the newly released poster, so I'll probably enjoy the memes either way.
Eh. It's not blasphemous. I grew up with Star Wars. I saw Empire Strikes Back at the drive in when I was a little kid. I played Star Wars in the woods behind my house. I had all the toys from the Millennium Falcon to a huge AT-AT. I have as much reason as anyone to adore the franchise.

At present time it contains one excellent film (Empire Strikes Back) one good film that also happened to be a cinematic landmark (New Hope), one arguably pretty bad film but with enough nostalgia strikes and high octane flourishes to make it a guilty pleasure (Return of the Jedi), and three films that rank among the worst made films of the modern era, establishing Lucas as a latter day Ed Wood.

Abrams needs to match "New Hope" for the film to be viewed as an unmitigated success, but without the boost New Hope got from being one of the first true blockbusters and setting everyone's imaginations on fire. In terms of general film quality (dialogue, acting, effects, etc) he should easily lap it. Capturing the spirit of the experience and exciting/engaging the increasingly cranky and demanding fan-base will be a much taller order. If he matches Jedi, it'll be a tolerable case of 'decent Star Wars flick, nothing special'. If he matches Empire everyone will vibrate with delight. If he matches the prequel trilogy they'll burn the theater down.

Kyrian007 said:
Again it could have been a legal or Disney thing... but I didn't see the Bad Robot graphic before the trailer. All of J.J.'s other projects have had them... could be nothing though.
Isn't Bad Robot Abram's production company? They wouldn't have had anything to do with Star Wars, right? It being Disney property? I know they keep pretty rigid control over their properties, if the stories of directors working on Marvel films are any indication.

Casual Shinji said:
The movie had Immortan Joe, Slit, and the Bullet Farmer. All terrific villains. If you disagree then... well, what can I say?
If it makes you feel better, Shinji, Fury Road was an excellent film. Had a certain pulp excess you don't really see a lot of these days, and was visually arresting. Not by accident was it one of the most acclaimed films of the year.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
BloatedGuppy said:
Kyrian007 said:
Again it could have been a legal or Disney thing... but I didn't see the Bad Robot graphic before the trailer. All of J.J.'s other projects have had them... could be nothing though.
Isn't Bad Robot Abram's production company? They wouldn't have had anything to do with Star Wars, right? It being Disney property? I know they keep pretty rigid control over their properties, if the stories of directors working on Marvel films are any indication.
True enough, but Bad Robot was billed right up there with Paramount in Star Trek... Perhaps that was just Paramount thumbing their nose at CBS for Trek. But it could be Abrams not bothering to claim the result of Wars.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think episode 7 is going to suffer from the same problem that the prequels did. Compounded interest of fandom insanity. I think, even if it's a really good movie, the die hard fans are still probably going to vilify it for not living up to their unrealistic expectations.

What I've seen from the trailers looks good, but some things also make me hesitant. My biggest worry is JJ Abrams. I'm...not terribly thrilled that he is piloting the new Star Wars train. I'm hoping he doesn't pull the same mistakes that he did with the Star Trek movies, and that the story is pretty good.

I'm hesitantly optimistic, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it either. I'm equal parts looking forward to a good movie, but also fully prepared for another stinker.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I've got high hopes, mostly because of "Star Wars Rebels". I really liked what they did with that series and I think they managed to get a lot of the original "feels" into it.

So I hope they manage to do that as well in the new film. I'm hopeful because they seem to use a better balance of CGI too.

What's also great is that the film seems to take a lot of the "history" with it. Star Wars has always had a retrospective element to it imo. From the moment where Obi-Wan talks about the lost Republic / Jedi etc. The prequels lacked that viewpoint.

I still got some questions though, like "The stories are true!": did everyone forget or something? Plus I still hate the crucifix lightsaber.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I Think it will be a good popcorn film. But not an all-time classic. Kinda like Avatar, everyone liked it fine, but nobody thought it was a masterpiece and now nobody talks about it anymore.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
stroopwafel said:
Casual Shinji said:
So to see Fury Road be this almost Lord of the Rings sized adult action movie, and a really damn good one at that, was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime moment.
I don't get the praise this movie gets. I've seen it recently and it bored me to tears. Story sucks, characters suck, zero atmosphere. It's like watching 2 hours of a traveling circus with Max dancing on top a of a truck like a drunk acrobate. There is also nothing apocalyptic about the movie because everyone is dressed like a fucking clown(including the face paint) and behaves as such. The villain is an over-the-top, laughable joke and Max an emo grump in a midlife-crisis. And except for a short moment in the intro Max can't even be found in his car for the rest of the entire film(!)

Mad Max 1 and 2 were awesome. Kick-ass and scary atmosphere with an authentic sense of place that made you wonder that the world might actually look like this after the end of civilization. Fury Road just looks like a parody of this. Crap movie is even worse than Terminator 3.
Far be it from me to tell you how you should feel about the movie, but there's a good reason why there's "nothing apocalyptic" about it. It's basically the second generation apocalypse where the old world is completely gone. There aren't even asphalted roads anymore, and it's highly suggested that the seas have dried up. The only one who even speaks of the old world from experience is this 70-year old woman. Which begs the question as to how Max is still able to look so young, but then this franchise was never much for continuity.

The reason most of these characters act and dress like clowns is because most if not all of them grew up in the insanity of the apocalypse. Also, they're part of a crazy dictatorship, so there's that, too.

Anyway, Star Wars, was it?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
True enough, but Bad Robot was billed right up there with Paramount in Star Trek... Perhaps that was just Paramount thumbing their nose at CBS for Trek. But it could be Abrams not bothering to claim the result of Wars.
If it helps, I find it extremely unlikely that Abrams is pulling an Alan Smithee with the new Star Wars film.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Less thinking it will be good and more fervently hoping.
From what we've seen so far the components of the recipe are in place.
The poster looks right.
The scenery and props look right.
The effects look right.
So on and so on.
All that remains to be seen is if the director can combine them in the right way.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I saw the latest trailer yesterday. I think it will be a good movie, but I don't think it will be a good Star Wars movie.

DirectorK

Aug 22, 2014
Well, I might as well repeat what I said on another thread.

You know, I'm starting to get the feeling that this is going to be an unofficial remake of Episode IV with some obvious differences. I know that sounds crazy but think about it.

From we've seen so far through the trailers:

1. Kylo Ren gets show down and lands on a all but desolate planet like C3PO and R2 did.
2. Rey finds him and helps him like Luke Skywalker did with the driods.
3. They eventually meet Han and Chewbacca and escape the planet from the New Empire just like they did with Luke and Obi-Wan.
4. Kylo will fight against Supreme Leader Snoke is a lightsaber duel like Obi-Wan did with Darth Vader(I highly doubt it but I'm seriously going to laugh my ass off if Kylo ends up sacrifices himself to motivate Rey like Obi-Wan did to motivate Luke. That would just be insulting given the "diverse" cast they've been bragging about over the year).
5. And then we have a big climatic battle against the Death Star 3, just like in Episode IV.
6. Luke will basically be the new Obi-Wan.

Yeah... I think it's safe to say, "I have a very bad feeling about this."

Who knows? We'll see.