Poll: Do you think the UN operates a secret space navy?

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
this branch exists but i think many people overestimate the ability of this branch to be sure. this branch doesnt have a secret army of space marines and doesnt have military space stations but what they do do is run military scenarios and experiment with military technology and their applications with space (including fighting). their job is to try and foresee what will happen in the future and to adjust and prepare accordingly

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Chu_Sandre said:
If the U.S. hadn't ended our space program so abruptly, I could believe in very early secret plans to create one, which would explain him seeing documents, but I would still doubt that we had a secret space navy already in orbit around the earth, especially when it came to the fact that plenty of amateur astronomers would've spotted them by now.
Alas, with our space agency already having done their final space mission, my above paragraph wouldn't even be a flicker of hope. And it would be a hope of mine if it had any truth to it, for space exploration is, in my opinion, the leading contribution Russia and the US have made in this world.
But that's why we ended it! All that funding is now free to build starships! Don't you see the line of logic?!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nah.

If I were to take this seriously enough to argue against it, for them to have a secret space navy, they'd have to have had all the steps leading up to this, and kept them secret, rather than doing something useful with them.

Xangi

Mar 4, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Hmmm, it sounds strangely familiar, but I can't put my finger on it...

...oh yeah.

Sounds to me like the guy's watched one too many sci-fi thrillers.

It's next to impossible for the world's governments to agree on anything, so the odds of them secretly creating a space defense force is extremely unlikely. Also, everything we know about space travel and relativity indicates that the odds of extraterrestrial contact is pretty much nil.

Just because someone's in the military doesn't mean they're immune from crazy conspiracy theories.
I love you, that post just made my day.

Now, to write something so I don't get moderated... hmmm...

Well, if they did have a space navy, they must have the same people that SG1 had in Stargate hiding it, because you'd think by now some redneck would have browned his chair when he saw a spaceship taking off from his cornfield or something.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
America can't even balance the budget let alone make a space fleet. You sir, have been lied to. Still good for a laugh though.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Secretly dealing with aliens? And a fleet, like on star trek? Yeah, it sounds too fantastic(fanciful). Orbital Bombardment Platforms certainly a possibility, though I don't see why you would do that when there are much cheaper alternatives that get the job done just as well.

Executor78

Apr 24, 2011
Of course the USAF has a secret space navy complete with faster-than-light spacecraft complete with artificial gravity and particle weapons. They also have an inter-dimensional space-hopping gateway in the NORAD headquarters in Colorado where they have made contact with several alien races both hostile and friendly. Honestly, doesn't anyone else take the documentary Stargate SG-1 seriously?

Ava Elzbieta

Mar 22, 2010
Chu_Sandre said:
If the U.S. hadn't ended our space program so abruptly, I could believe in very early secret plans to create one, which would explain him seeing documents, but I would still doubt that we had a secret space navy already in orbit around the earth, especially when it came to the fact that plenty of amateur astronomers would've spotted them by now.
Alas, with our space agency already having done their final space mission, my above paragraph wouldn't even be a flicker of hope. And it would be a hope of mine if it had any truth to it, for space exploration is, in my opinion, the leading contribution Russia and the US have made in this world.
This.

Also, the US as a country isn't able to pass a budget to save its own economy. Congressmen wouldn't give CPR to a dying child without partisan bickering.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Well, if you call a bunch of satellites a 'space navy', then i suppose it's true.

But the name implies that we have at least 3 big 'ships' in space, equipped with weapons.
I think we may know about this if it was true, simply due to the resources they would use and the small children in the middle of no where looking for a new planet to name who suddenly see a space shuttle looking thing with a couple missiles stuck on its wings and 'E.R.T.H Reaper' painted on the side.

It's simply not possible. If we did have anything that could be called a 'Navy' in space, you can be damn sure we'd know about it.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
badgersprite said:
The UN couldn't operate a petrol pump
Let alone manage their own people. Like truck drivers that decided to assist with the killing in Rwanda, etc. When you're talking conspiracy, don't make the mistake of thinking about those screwwy Blue Beret U.N. SpecOps guys that would show up at the drop of a hat in the "X-Files" shows. The real UN is like herding cats. In a yarn factory.

Now, on the other hand. There were plans to mount nifty weaponry in the second generation Space Shuttles. Its the waste from planning and development time of frivolous weapon applications that creates money sinks.

Aranialis

Oct 24, 2009
You know what? YES there is a space navy, Its commonly called Alliance and the specter Commander Shepard is/was part of it.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Hell, who doesn't operate a Secret Space Navy nowadays? I just got mine running about two months ago, works like a charm. I just need to mount some of 'em evil death rays and spy cameras on my big mothership and all will be well, but these prices on eBay are just mad. Maybe I'll buy some from DARPA, they're having this big super-secret-so-don't-tell-anyone garage sales, and the prices are cheaper than a glass of lemonade back in the 1950s.
Anyone else here a Secret Space Navy enthusiast? I can give advice if you need some, and I'm also on the lookout for the best offers for parts. No yellow though, I hate yellow.

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
...no.

If, theoretically speaking, the US wasn't in the middle of a massive financial recession, and the UN didn't contain countries like Iran and Venezuela who would blow the lid off any US-centric space navies operating under the UN banner, and the UN wasn't there for world peace and not making sure aliens don't kill us all, and the entire theory didn't just remind me of UNIT from Doctor Who? Then still no. Want to know why?

There is a worldwide network of astronomers, both funded by universities and labs as well as hobbyists and amateurs, who are watching the sky 24/7 and manage to notice when the US so much as launch a satellite without telling anybody. (Not to mention all of the private sector space companies and other countries running space programs)

So yeah, it's bloody impossible. It would require an even larger series of cover-ups than the most liberal interpretations of the Illuminati, not to mention money that the US really doesn't have right now.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Shamanic Enzan said:
If the UN was running a space navy, I'm pretty damn sure a few more things would have crashed by now.
Ever heard of the hundreds of 'UFO crash' stories?
Avaholic03 said:
I'll have whatever he's smoking.
And I'll have what he's breathing.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Sir Rammington Steel said:
Sorry Sleekit, Marines and Navy are different branches. We could have Space Navy Seals though. Hehe Space Seals. It doesn't have the same badass ring to it I must admit. I don't think that there is a space navy. Though presumably one day when we have the technology some force is going to have to marshal in space. They do use the navy so much in fiction for a reason.
A Ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.
Adm. David Dixon Porter, USN in a letter to
Colonel Commandant John Harris, USMC, 1863

OT: The UN can't tie their own shoes properly. No way in hell they'd have a secret space navy.