Poll: Do you think there could ever be a zombie apocalypse?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Unless its on the biblical version of the apocalypse, where your mileage may vary depending on your faith. But it would have to the end times for it to be even remotely likely. The dead don't rise, a 28 days later rabies or viral haemorrhagic disease, deadly and highly infectious, but it would still warm bodies with one hell of a rage virus. It would have to be a perfect storm of a prion virus hybrid, the agressive neurological damage and slow incubation and difficult detection of a prion , the infectiousness of a virus. The "problem" with rabies is that it kills the host too fast and due to being an RNA virus is easily replicated in a lab for a vaccine. A zed virus would have to be DNA based and mutate slowly along with the prion.

Fungus, specifically yeast could also be a very close candidate, but is very slow to spread and often easy to detect and treat.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Evonisia said:
Imp Emissary said:
Evonisia said:
Imp Emissary said:
With "realistic"(explained with science) zombies, they never give a (good)explanation on how the zombies can tell the difference between zombies and normal people.
I've always thought it was something to do with how animals won't eat "rotten meat" personally. Why would a Zombie eat spoilt food that smells of death when they can have juicy, warm humans.
Yeah, but scientific zombies are dead bodies controlled by a virus, parasite, or in the case of The Last of us, a fungus.

They don't eat or really get hungry like the Magic zombies do. The reason they're attacking everyone is because they basically all have gone mad, so reason isn't even a factor anymore for them, ya know?

Plus, at the start they would all still be pretty fresh meat anyway.
Seems probable. I guess it's a bit mad, I mean literally the only other thing I can think of right now is that living (or well, moving "alive"ish) things tend to 'like' it's own kind. Perhaps the fungi, disease or viri sees the other Zombies as it's fellow pathogen and instead targets others to destroy.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm talking about.

We can come up with reasons, but when you put them into reality they don't make sense because they wouldn't "scientifically" work(without scientific bullshit/magic).

It isn't said that the fungus is really controlling the infected, but the way it's growing in there brains it's making the people go crazy so they go around biting others.

But asking us to believe that it drives them mad(and seemingly also causes them a good deal of pain too), but still lets them think enough to tell between normal people and zombies is just asking to much.

I think we just ignore this in games when fighting zombies because well, they're zombies. Who cares how they're doing it, all I know is I don't want them to bite me, or rip my face of again.

Jul 13, 2010
nope, it would be impossible. Firstly, there is no way a virus could maintain a body that doesn't have the capacity to survive on its own. Secondly, a combination of rigamortis, bloating and the failure of the immune system would make the movement of dead bodies impossible even if they were somehow reanimated. Lastly, how would this infectant appear? Either it would have had to have naturally evolved, which relies on humanity ignoring the development of a virus with zombie-like symptoms (whether it be in humans or another species) for at least a few decades before it actually becomes the finished product, or it was man made, and I can't see a line of research that would result, even accidentally, in the creation of the aggressive and cannibalistic living dead.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
1) No disease, fungus, chemical, or anything else is going to get around the basic laws of physics or change human biology so significantly.

There's a reason that people die when you shoot them. It's because our bodies can't operate without consuming oxygen, and we need all of those organs in order for that process to happen. Without circulating blood, the brain will die in minutes. No virus is going to allow part of it to keep operating without the necessary chemical reactions needed to provide it with the energy to do so.

2) Even if there were a thousand zombies for every survivor, the survivors would have little trouble wiping them all out. It's basic math- if you can set aside an hour day to kill zombies, and kill even just 100 zombies an hour (easily and safely done with a spear-like weapon that extends your reach while you sit behind a defensive position), you can kill 1,000 zombies in ten days. A small group of survivors could clear an entire town's worth of zombies, put up a fence for the occasional stragglers, and not have to worry anymore.

You'd need Return of the Living Dead style zombies, which retained their intelligence and were nearly unkillable, to be an actual threat to humans.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Maybe instead of reanimating the dead, it was some sort of rage virus from 28 days later.

Although if any zombie like threat happened, I think all the zombie media has prepared us enough that whatever signs of permanent infectious disease that turns people against each other in a feral frenzy would be quickly silenced, or at least well contained. Presuming buildings and roads don't start crumbling and catching on fire suddenly when zombies, if ever, come around.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I don't much care. I live in the somewhat rural south and as such have owned a firearm since I was 6. I now have more than one as do my Dad and brother. I figure we would sit upstairs and have some target practice while eating sandwiches and watching TV. So long as we don't run out of ammo or water we should be good.

OT: Not bloody freaking likely.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
Zombies may "happen" but I don't see them starting the end of the world. Unless they're magic/bullshit Zombies, but in that case there's magic/bullshit, so were already doomed.
This is an excellent point. Im a biologist so I've done some research into this and have a few theories about how a zombie outbreak MIGHT work, and if it did whats the closest we can get to the movies.

Rabies is by far my favorite contender for a zombie virus. It has some gigantic flaws that totally negate its ability to spread like a zombie virus but its got a few of the key components in place.

1. Spreads via saliva.
2. Can cause irrational aggressive behavior.
3. Uses animals and humans as a medium.
4. Untreatable (almost) once symptoms occur.
5. Rabies can incubate for extreme lengths of time secretly, up to years in fact.
6. Targets the nervous system

However the reason rabies ISNT the zombie virus is:

1. Being irrational to the point of fear of water coupled with massive dehydration makes you less able to attack someone in a coordinated way.
2. Being violently unwell and feeling like total shit inhibits your ability to attack a person.
3. Once symptoms show death is usually pretty damn swift. A "zombie" has a 2-10 day lifespan once symptoms show.
4. Only in extreme cases does primary brain function fail utterly. Youre not mindlessly aggressive. Youre just delusional.
5. Most violent outbursts will be undirected. Its more akin to spasms. And having uncontroled spasms makes you even less dangerous to people unless they are actively trying to treat or hug you. Not to mention the mania is coupled with periods of lethargy where youre no threat at all to anyone.
6. If caught in the incubation period treatment is fairly straightforward.
7. We have vaccines for the damn thing.
8. A rabid person will probably be as likely to attack another rabid person as they will you.
9. Such a long incubation means treatment/execution for infected is going to be extremely easy.

Rabies is the closest you can get to a zombie outbreak. And it fails in at least 9 ways to being anything like a zombie outbreak. Bites are also just a very shitty transference method. Any zombie virus would need to go airborne to even pose a threat. Or waterborne.

Theres also a catch 22 in the psychology of a zombie. To show the rage and mindless aggression almost ALL social parts of the brain need to die. But now you cant act as a pack or identify friend from foe since these are coupled together. The zombies, with no way to coordinate or identify another zombie from a human and distinguish aggression from non aggression, would just devour eachother like the guy i posted said. Theres like a million biological barriers between zombies and reality im afraid :C

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Reanimated zombies? Probably safe to say that's not happening. Some kind of infection that creates zombie-like symptoms? Much more plausible but still unlikely to ever reach pandemic levels. I mean for a zombie pandemic we'd be looking at a chemical cocktail that would be untreatable, unpreventable (barring avoidance), result in a deterioration of the victim's mental functions and/or greatly spike their aggression and most importantly not kill the victim. Your closest runner up is probably rabies which we vaccinate for, can treat if we catch it early enough, and which tends to be fatal mere days after the symptoms actually pop up.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Possiblity? Yes.

Probably? No.

I feel it's more of something that COULD happen, but not likely. It's not something I should be worried about as much as just know about when shit hits the fan.

Kailow Krow

Mar 24, 2011
Apocalypse? Maybe, probably not. Outbreak of zombie like? Maybe not like, degredation of all society, but some places out in the sticks of nowhereland might be affected. I think that'd be kind of a neat "just living with reality" sort of take on it, it's not like dc would crumble in a day, but even then somewhere and to some people even now it might as well be the apocalypse, there's all sorts of zombie fungai ants and weird bull shit, it's not soo much of a stretch actually; still a pretty big stretch. I dunno. Apocalypse? not.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
We had one last week!
All of you who weren't paying attention should really thank those of us who got up and took care of it!

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
shambling rotting corpses? no! pumped up super pissed off roid raging speed freaks? Possible however less that 1% chance of ever happening.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Dalek Caan said:
Probably not. If it's full on reincarnation, then no, that would never happen. If it's a rabies type disease then maybe, though the chances are 1 in billion. If it was to ever occur though the zombies would all be killed off quickly.

[link]http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html[/link]
Am I late? In the interest of not killing all the fun, I too have a Cracked article.
http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Do I think it will happen? No, and not just for the scientific reasoning behind the whole, "reanimation" issue.
Now, "Do I wish for a zombie apocalypse?" is a better question. [sub][sub][sub]To which I might answer yes.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I live in 'MERICA. That pretty much means a gun for every man woman and child. If the zombies were to strike they'd have a hell of a time of it.

And one crazy guy in Florida got high on bath salts and ate this hobo's face, it was all over the news and people were already locked and loaded. There's no way it's gonna sneak up on us.

Even if it did somehow break all physical barriers to being possible, it wouldn't mean the end of humanity. There are plenty of people on islands or in other protected areas to repopulate.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
It's highly unlikely in the conventional sense. Even if for whatever reason the dead were able to continue moving, atrophy has set in. You've got muscle degradation, rotting limbs: a pure recipe for a creature that can barely stand on its' own, let alone chase you down.

I honestly don't see how there could ever be a mass event involving the dead arising. Maybe one or two people in a lab after years of trial and error, but there's simply no science behind the dead coming back to life. Even if they did, what makes them crave human flesh? We could outrun them, heck you'd smell them coming a mile away, and even if a bite did turn the victim into an undead, it just seems like zombies are on the weakest end of the dangerous scale.

Seriously, I don't understand how we possibly couldn't outrun/outlast/overpower them if they should appear. Heck, they are probably so deteriorated that the soil over their casket will be their doom before they ever get the chance to stalk to the living.