Poll: Do you think this is sexist?

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
Mandalore_15 said:
the reason we have these distinctions is that they relay useful information, i.e. your gender.
Useful? Is gender really the most useful information to convey? How about age, quality, qualifications, nationality, heritage, hobbies, fetishes, whatever. I don't really feel strongly on the subject one way or the other, but this part strikes me as odd.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
well considering your "Landlord" is a man that owns the land you live on, and lets you live there for a fee. A "Landlady" is a woman that owns the land you live on, and lets you live there for a fee, and you think of their historical connotations, I would think most people would either use the gender-nominative terms or just GTFO! If you are a man with land title, you are the "Lord" of that "Estate", you are a woman with a land title you are the "Lady" of that "Estate", that is how it is, please do not call all of us users of historically-nominative terms sexist, please, it just makes more sense that way!

So yeah, people who are overly politically correct insult all of our intellect, and should themselves be banned as un-pc because they're offensive to me(and other like minded individuals).

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
It's just one of the insignificant things that change over time in language and no-one sane really cares about. Right now actor/actress is fine, but saying firewoman or policewoman just sounds retarded.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
whats next, we have to stop calling women women and start calling everyone individuals? Lets get rid of he and she while we are at it. Because in the modern world having a stick up your ass about political correctness and getting offended on a hair trigger is the way to be!!!

jopomeister

Apr 7, 2010
I see nothing wrong in what you said.
If you heard someone calling a doe a deer, you'd correct them, right? Then why not with something like this?
It's not sexist in the slightest, if you ask me, it's used for clarity, and can be used to avoid awkward situations when you find out that that person you thought was a guy actually was a girl.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
DarkRyter said:
It acknowledges a difference in gender.

Sexist? Yeah.

A big deal? A huge social injustice? The sigil of doom for society? No.
You lost me, how is acknowledging something sexist???

If someone says: He is white, they are stating an observation.
If they say: I don't like him because he is white, they are being racist.

It is EXACTLY the same idea for sexism.

You say: he is male. Fine. Observation.
You say: I think he eats orphans (insert anything negative there) because he is male. Not Fine. Discrimination. Bold Assumption. Sexism.

So it is no big deal AND not sexist.
Although the OP handled the situation terribly.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
That's stupid, of course it's not sexist. Sounds to me like that person doesn't understand what "lord" and "lady" really mean. It also seems to have the whiff about it of this paranoia people have nowerdays about being seen as prejudice to the point is lunacy, like the way people say "woman police officer". Why not just "police officer"? Why does "woman" have to be included?

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
AlexNora said:
6_Qubed said:
I tend to use male terms in a gender-neutral capacity, which is a very fancy way of saying I call everyone "Dude."

My niece hates it.
iv always wanted to go around calling everyone girl.

hey girl xD
At the risk of sounding like some religious conservative intolerant (i.e. my mom) I'm pretty sure the gays beat you to that.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Well, not really. To be racist/sexist/etc. there has to be real hate or prejudice behind it. The words themselves (actress/actor, landlord/landlady or whatever) have no such negative connotation based on gender. I think the person found it a little sexist because you took the time out to correct her, when in reality, what said person called her landlord is unimportant.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
It's not sexist. Just because you're identifying someone as a man or as a woman doesn't mean you're discriminating against them for it.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Sexist? Not in the slightest.
Grammar-Nazi? Yes. (High five, fellow grammar nazi!)

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
As far as I'm concerned, the use of a term which implies a gender s fine, providing it's not in itself demeaning. If the woman in your example thought it was "sexist" to use the word "landlady" then it's equally "sexist" to use the word "landlord" and she could easily have gone with "lessor".

It's one thing to use a neutral word, but to use a word which has an implicit gender opposed to that of the individual just seems retarded. I'm not trying to pick on Americans specifically but have heard a number of people referring to someone who gives massages as a "masseuse" regardless of their gender. Also pronouncing it "mass-oos".

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Not sexist.

Although why you were "taken aback" by that or felt the need to correct her is beyond me.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Deshara said:
intheweeds said:
Deshara said:
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Mandalore_15 said:
the reason we have these distinctions is that they relay useful information, i.e. your gender.
Uhm. how is it "useful" to know the gender of someone's landlord?
It's useful to know the gender of your ruler. When they stuck the term "lord" on the end of "land", so too came with it its gender-specific useage.
That doesn't answer the question though. How is it useful? What could you imagine doing differently with your male landlord vs. your female one that would make that information useful?
Well, why do we have a Queen and King? Waiter or waitress? It's a hold-over from the languages that English comes from/borrows from heavily, having gender-tensed nouns to give a more specific feel to the statement.

Okay, now I understand the history of the word, but I didn't ask for that. Again, what purpose could that knowledge possibly serve today? If you aren't about to treat your landlord differently based on their gender, HOW is that information useful? Damn it's a simple question.

Waiter or waitress is the same thing. It's a professional designation. In fact the truth is unless you are in a truck stop diner, the term that is used in restaurants is 'server' - for both genders. Why? Because its the name of a job. Its the same job whether you are male or female. Suggesting otherwise is sexist since the gender of your server is completely irrelevant.

If you can think of a non-sexist reason for needing this info, I would like to hear it. Knowing whether to say ma'am or sir is not a good reason. You will know that the second you meet someone, you don't need a special designation to tell you that.

Hedonist

Jun 22, 2011
Landlord is an interesting case, because a lady isn't just the female version of a lord. So yea, landlady is sexist.
But other ones like actress aren't.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
If it was firewomen or policewomen, or something like that I could see where your coming from. Even though that still feels like splitting hairs. Oh and my spell checker says firewomen is not a word but policewomen is so opera doesn't believe a women can be a fireman.

Anyways, landlord sounds pretty gender neutral as it is. I mean you don't have to man to be a lord right?

Well according to google, only in the U.K does the Lord title goes a long with being a man.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=definition+of+lord&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest#hl=en&client=opera&hs=fbw&rls=en&channel=suggest&q=lord&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=pmyETv7_FYO4tgfhpNk3&ved=0CCgQkQ4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=feb8a2613c7233be&biw=1920&bih=1088

So the U.K is sexist.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
in that way, noooo. some people have a preference against that i assume, but id not worry about THAT. c'mon. lol