Poll: Do you think you would be a better parent than your own parents?

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Probably not, but I'm very likely to raise my kids better than 90% of the people because...well... hardly anyone knows shit about children or how to raise them properly.

Lack of knowledge is to blame.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
No, I will probably be a crappy parent if I ever even have kids which I doubt I will.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Well, I reckon you're doing it wrong if you aren't at least on-par with your own parents. At any rate, I would probably be an alright parent... If I end up becoming one I'll probably only have one. At least they won't have to worry about not having any LEGO...

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I'm terrible with children, the younger the worse. I'm sure whatever my parents do, they do for my own good, even if I think it's bad. I'm in a slightly rebellious phase in life, so I can only hope that I'm a great parent and pay attention to what they did to make me happy.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Yes and no for me. If my dad hadn't pounded some knowledge and common sense into me, I should be homeless by now. But there are places in which I think I could do a better job.

Jan 11, 2009
I'm really not sure, I can see myself being a good dad and others have told me they think I will as well but my dad, while sometimes he loses himself and sys stupid things and causes pointless arguments has been a good parent too.

I guess I'll just have to see.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
About as good as the olds I suppose. Just give your kids a ball and a muddy puddle and keep them within ear-shot.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
It's hard to know just how I would react when my kids are acting unruly. Would I be a patient parent? Would I be too strict?

Apart of that aspect, I think I can be a better parent than my own parents. Don't get me wrong, my parents are fantastic, supportive and caring. Our domestic life was pretty damn boring though. Alienated extended family members and a lack of close friends in the area meant that both my parents were quite the homebodies. It was never exciting, just happy to live in the routine. I want to make it more fun for my kids.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I got really lucky with my parents so i don't think I would be any better then my parents.

Then again I don't imagine I would do too bad a job but I really feel I couldn't be a single parent.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
I doubt it. My parents have been very good to me, especially considering all the shit that's happened to our family.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'm going to go ahead and say yes, but then again, they're not that hard to beat.

Father was a wife beater, child abuser, racist, and neo Nazi, and my mother was a selfish ***** that'd run off to other countries for a vacation even though there was no money for food and bills, and she cared more for a man for herself than she cared for her kids (which is what led her to throwing my ass into an insanity ward [her boyfriend hated me and wanted me out of the picture]).

Capatcha: heart break
Not really. Just made my head hurt a lot.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes as for one thing, I will be speaking the same language as my child! Well ok I would consider sending my child to a Chinese speaking school first so he/ she doesn't bared the same fate as me (it depend who my wife is and if she want our child to be sent there in the first place).

Regardless of the language barrier I do intend to bound with my child better (talked about his/ her activity) and try to be there for him/ her like those sport days at school and etc.

Likewise I will discipline my child when it come to gaming (I'm not going to be one of those careless parent who buy 15 or 19 rated games for their underage childe) as I don't want him/ her to be an ass online!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yes, but then again, my parents didn't exactly have great parents either, so I can't fault them too much.

That said, I don't want to be a parent.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Lilani said:
For example, my mom knocks on my door when she enters...but she does it by knocking and then immediately opening the door after less than a second. It seems fairly obvious to me that isn't exactly respecting my privacy in any way as it sort of nullifies the purpose of the knock, but apparently that hasn't quite occurred to her. My dad is better at it, he'll knock and won't enter until I respond.
Your door doesn't have a lock? What if you're...ahem...one-handed internet browsing?...Or like, with an actual other human.

I'm not planning on having kids, but I think I'd do better. My father was the better parent, but he lost custody when I was 7 and only had us on alternating weekends. My mother's a narcissistic workaholic who consistently put her social life above spending time with her kids. She even invited like four of her friends to what was supposed to be our family vacation twice. From about the ages of 8-14 my sister practically raised my brother and I. Back to school clothes? Sister took us. Ride to friend's house? Again, with my sister. Grocery shopping? Sister did it. My grandmother actually used to give my sister Mother's Day cards on the sly.

So not exactly a high bar to reach. I'm not bitter or anything though, not at all.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Dags90 said:
Lilani said:
For example, my mom knocks on my door when she enters...but she does it by knocking and then immediately opening the door after less than a second. It seems fairly obvious to me that isn't exactly respecting my privacy in any way as it sort of nullifies the purpose of the knock, but apparently that hasn't quite occurred to her. My dad is better at it, he'll knock and won't enter until I respond.
Your door doesn't have a lock? What if you're...ahem...one-handed internet browsing?...Or like, with an actual other human.
Lol, my door has a lock. I just feel it should only be necessary in cases where I don't want people coming in for such private events. While I have considered it, it seems unnecessarily drastic, and having my parents consciously respect my privacy is much more gratifying.

And speaking of which, I guess this is a bit of an update on the situation--I did confront my mom about knocking then walking in the last time she did it, and now she knocks and waits for a response. Yay communication!

Mar 7, 2012
No.

The level of dedication they showed raising me was something I could never hope to match. And I turned out to be a hard working, confident individual as a result.

With that in mind, this is the reason I don't want kids. Because I always get it into my head that I have to match that dedication to be a good parent and that simply won't happen.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Lilani said:
Lol, my door has a lock. I just feel it should only be necessary in cases where I don't want people coming in for such private events. While I have considered it, it seems unnecessarily drastic, and having my parents consciously respect my privacy is much more gratifying.

And speaking of which, I guess this is a bit of an update on the situation--I did confront my mom about knocking then walking in the last time she did it, and now she knocks and waits for a response. Yay communication!
Oh. My house is a bit different. We take the stupid approach. So I pretty much keep my door locked by default, because I hate having my door just opened without knocking. So it usually went *failed attempt to open door*, *knock*, *permission to enter*. Actually, now I've got everyone well trained to expect my door to be locked, and they just knock. It's only taken the better part of a decade.

My family never approaches boundary issues in any sane manner. My mother's solution to my brother eating food I had bought was to buy me a mini fridge.