Poll: Do you think you're more intelligent than the average person? (Be honest)

Sammaul

Nov 25, 2009
Well, I started working at a school this week, so atm I do feel much smarter than most people around me.
Considering general knowledge, I'm certain I know more than the average person.
Considering my ''position in life'' and how happy I am about it, I feel very dumb.

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
I consider myself average. That's why I'm always astounded when so many people turn out to be dumber than me.

So I guess I'm above average.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
FalloutJack said:
So then, while education is not necessarily intelligence, I feel that they must be inexorably linked, for a greater understanding of the world and how to react to it each and every day is important in society. But let's get off of that. You want to peek into my brains for how well I think, not WHAT I think.

Here is the short answer: I have Aspergers. The way I see the world is, guaranteed, going to be at some pretty odd angles from the norm at times. That's why we are diagnosed as we are. Our perceptions simply differ. As yu can see, though, I am that version which interacts with the world decently enough. My difference in thought allows me to come to new and innovative conclusions at times. Different perceptions, different process of thought, and so different reactions as well.

Here is one example of intelligence that I use that most people do not: I learn from your mistakes. I avoid the mishaps of other people so as to minimize the mistakes I DO make.
That's what YOU consider intelligence. I could make the argument that you're closing yourself off to certain experiences that make your world smaller compared to that of those who have actually made the mistakes. And I'm sorry but save for certain legitimate cases simply claiming asperger's doesn't mean you're actually different because the symptom list for asperger's is pretty vague.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
According to state issued smart person yardstick tests, I am in the 92nd percentile of people in high school. I don't get the best grades in school, but honestly there's a difference between being intelligent and getting perfect marks. At least that's what my ego tells me.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
The problem with this poll is that it's on a site mostly frequented by nerds. That alone makes me confident that the majority of people on this site are above average (if only slightly).

Andy Szidon

Aug 13, 2011
axlryder said:
The problem with this poll is that it's on a site mostly frequented by nerds. That alone makes me confident that the majority of people on this site are above average (if only slightly).
ikr. The average escapist user is smarter than the average person.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I scored well on my big state tests and have some amount of empathy, so I often appear smarter then I am.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
I would say going off the poll results that the numbers should be reversed, or maybe change the question to are you arrogant enough to believe your smarter than the average person or are you humble enough to know your good at some things or bad at others...

Personally im good at a few things but couldn't do others to save my life.. it makes me average at some things, below average at others and above average in whatever is left over.

For 90% of people to think they are above average, does that not make above average the average?

Andy Szidon

Aug 13, 2011
racrevel said:
I would say going off the poll results that the numbers should be reversed, or maybe change the question to are you arrogant enough to believe your smarter than the average person or are you humble enough to know your good at some things or bad at others...

Personally im good at a few things but couldn't do others to save my life.. it makes me average at some things, below average at others and above average in whatever is left over.

For 90% of people to think they are above average, does that not make above average the average?
It takes a certain type of arrogance to say "All those noobies, saying they're smart. They're so stupid they don't realize that only 50% of the population is smart. I'm going to be honest, unlike those arrogant bastards. Everyone's bad at something". You are saying that when someone says they're smart, they're actually arrogant and don't realize they're idiots, when you're being arrogant because everyone's bad at something. Here's a tip. Think before you call smart people stupid.

noxymoron19

Feb 4, 2011
I'm below average. I can still have very intelligent thoughts and moments. But for the most part, people are smarter then me

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Chairman Miaow said:
Talvrae said:
I do think of myself as slightelly above average, wich is confirmed by my IQ tests... It's not my ego, it's simply that and i only say it, i'm "slightelly" above average
Please tell me your emphasis on "slightelly" was intentionally ironic there. Please?
i can say that...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I still maintain this thread is redundant without a 'somewhere in the middle' option. Pah.

Also, people are gigantic, dirty liars.

Andy Szidon

Aug 13, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
My real goal here is to see just how strongly we are affected by personal bias.
How do you know whether or not our votes are affected by personal bias in any way, shape, or form?

OlasDAlmighty said:
those who are below average overall are usually extremely talented in certain unique areas.
Proof? Or are you saying that everyone's special? Even though if everyone was unique then being called unique is meaningless?

MiracleOfSound said:
Also, people are gigantic, dirty liars.
I know. People are saying that everyone's below average.