Poll: Do you turn on the subtitles?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Yes. Developers have no grasp on sound mixing, and I keep my volume at levels that don't destroy my eardrums. I like being able to read dialogue I wouldn't necessarily hear.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I do, because I often have difficulty following dialogue amidst foley and other sound effects. I do the same for shows and movies or else I'll quite often rewind on bits because I didn't catch them. And with games you can't really rewind well, so, it's even more important that I do.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes. I understand English well enough, but I often play games in less than ideal ambiance. Many times the volume is not high enough, and I have problems parsing out the dialogue from the ambient sounds, weird accents and voice filters, specially when they are treated as background conversations.

Besides, I am used to the idea of subtitles being the only appropriate way to experience foreign media, so I don't really mind.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
For my part this depends on the game I'm playing. For a shooter I'd probably turn off subtitles because I've got enough to worry about on screen without also having to read tiny lines of text in the middle of everything. But for a strategy game I almost always turn them on because I can generally take my time while plotting my actions and I find it relaxing to read through a bit of text while it's being spoken.
Also it's kind of fun to spot typos and misspellings in the subtitles. Cathartic, in a way, and a lot more common than one might assume. XCOM 2, for example, is loaded with misspellings in its subtitles. For shame, Firaxis.

IronFrog

Aug 22, 2011
I tend to play in the wee hours with the volume down so I turn on subtitles as more of a "If you don't do it you're going to have no idea what's going on because you can't hear anything" thing. I also have a less than two year old daughter, so if I want to hear anything that I'm doing... well... too damn bad.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, I turn subs on in every game I play because I always act the dominant part.
I just find them rather handy. Like, in L4D/2, gives advance warnings of special infected/tanks, for example.
That, and I just can't help reading everything I can. Speaking of, time to go read a story.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Only if the dialogue or audio are abit iffy (this is for English speaking games).

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Unless it's a foreign language game [footnote]I played through Assassin's Creed 2 in Italian, which was awesome. Metro 2033 in Russian didn't quite work out, as so much key exposition is dumped in walk'n'talks - that game was so gorgeously designed that it just soured the experience having to read text and not naturally just keep moving and looking around the world.[/footnote] it's completely immersion breakingly annoying to have any subs present, so no, absolutely not.

Also:
Zhukov said:
No.

I, and I assume basically everyone else, can read a lot faster than someone can deliver their lines. If I have subtitles on I'll just read ahead then be impatiently waiting for the voiceover to catch up. Which is just annoying.
Ditto'd. With the few games where subs can't be told to piss off (I think Kingdoms Of Amalur was one. okay, that game wasn't Shakespeare... but still) I find the story's marred by psychically knowing exactly what a character's reaction or decision is going to be, and so for me it massively subverts all dramatic impact.

I've not played beyond the tutorial section/s yet, but it seems you can't disable the floating in-field dialogue text in Divinity Original Sin, and even that bugs me.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Yep.

I frequently have more distractions than I would like when gaming (wife has a near compulsion to tell me about every upsetting article she sees on the internet which is nearly all of them) and my hearing is occasionally a little screwy. So yeah on go the subtitles.

Also if i'm replaying the game then if it's not a scene i like a lot I'll spacebar through it.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I tend not to. Partly because they are distracting and partly because it has less subtlety than audio.

An audio clip can be quiet enough not to hear clearly, but close enough for subtitles to pick up and display to me completely unambiguously as if I were standing right next to the sound source and I think that can lose the effectiveness of the sound's presentation.

Maybe there are some NPCs talking somewhere nearby. Without subtitles I might not really focus on their words and it would just add to the ambience. With subtitles I might have the dialogue thrust into my view and my attention is drawn whether I care to listen or not.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Depends, is it game where I'm interested in the dialogue and is well acted enough for me to actually want hear the NPCs speak? then I'll keep them off/turn them off. Otherwise I'll be reading ahead and skipping. I like it when they have it set so one button press in dialogue turns subtitles on and and the second skips to the next line. That way I can have them off most of the time but speed through conversations that I can't be bothered listening to (reading is faster) or turn them on for NPCs with accents that give me trouble (unless that is the intent, like trolls in TW3).

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Yes.
I have great hearing but I am terrible at understanding people who have accents/slur words/don't enunciate well. It's always been a problem of mine in real life as well, I'm a young person who always has to ask people to repeat themselves.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Always, to the point where I get quite annoyed if there isn't at least an option for dialogue subtitles. I don't need subtitles, I'm just that used to them being there that I just turn them on by default. On top of that, I tend to play a lot of games these days muted and have something else on in my headphones rather than the game audio and I like to at least still have the subtitles on to be able to follow the game.

Gamerpalooza

Sep 26, 2014
Yes, wish the quality of English voice actors in gaming would be as good as Hollywood. Sadly its a profession that's dwindling not expanding from my perspective so I'd rather stay used to subtitles.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Always, where possible.

I listen to music on my laptop almost constantly and I am a bit hard of hearing on top of that.

Oct 2, 2012
I always turn them on, and if the options allow it I turn them on for background conversations too.

Dialogue in most games is just too damn slow, so I like to quickly read the subtitles and skip to the next part of the conversation. I also sometimes have difficulty understanding dialogue in video games, so subtitles let me keep understanding what's going on.