Poll: Do you use an e-book reader?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I see more and more advertising for e-books on the web, but nobody I know actually reads them.

How about you, Escapists? Do you?

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, covers all my travel reading. paper books are pointless when I have to carry them everywhere since I usually need like 10 for a 2 week period.

Kindle currently but would seriously consider a kobo reader.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I haven't used any sort of ebook mainly because I prefer the actual physical book in my hand. I can see the appeal of an ebook being able to carry some of your favourites with you on one device. I may get one some day and stick with the paper format for a while.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
Started with a kindle, loved it. Now use desktop and tablet kindle apps.

Couldn't live without it, I buy books when its worth the price (as in NOT more expensive than a bloody paper one), and churn through the free fantasy and sci-fi books like crazy. Got a few gems out of them, but most are pretty terrible. Did end up buying like an 8 book series from one though as the free first ones were so good.

Sadly, most of the free books sections on Amazon are full of "Abused by the Billionaire" cause apparently thats what so many women love, but with perseverance and only mild sickness I can usually find something worth reading.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Nope.

I spend lots of time surfing the Internet and playing video games. Reading a book every once in a while is a great way to take a break from staring at a screen!

Besides, I just like the feel of a book as opposed to some electronic device. No battery to worry about, for one thing.

Gyrick

Feb 12, 2009
I usually prefer to read paper books and texts, but when I have to (usually for the sake of time), I have a Kindle application on my laptop and iPad.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I don't own an ebook reader, I tend to adhere rather strictly to the old fashioned paper-based form of bookage.

Which I'm presently regretting in the form of lugging around the 800 or so pages of Don Quixote.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Call me old-fashioned, but I love to just feel and read a real book. And they certainely look nicer on a shelf than a e-book.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I used to love the feel of a paper book in my hand, I used to love having a shelf full of books. Then I had to move into a new apartment and go through the trouble of taking all those books with me. Now I use an e-reader for everything except deluxe graphic novels and things like that.

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Burned Hand said:
I do, for a lot of books, but not for reference, text, studies and that kind of thing. For piling a bunch of standard paperbacks into a portable container though, you can't beat an e-reader.
See, I'm pretty much the opposite. I'll rarely buy a casual reading book on my kindle (which is the old kind that isn't just another screen, but those bead things that I think makes it nicer to read, though I do have the cross app on my iPad and phone), though when I have I've enjoyed it well enough. But if I want to read something that I need for my course at uni, having the ability to search through and highlight things is great, so a lot more of those get put on my kindle, and it's extremely handy when looking back over something.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I prefer physical books. Look nice in a book shelf and I enjoy the feel better. I'd say e-books are a lot more convenient than physical, but I just prefer the other.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ive been using a Kindle Fire for the past 4 years, almost every book ive purchased in that time has been an e-book.

I prefer it to paperbacks simply because i have my whole (e-book) library with me. If i finish one thing i can just move on to something else without having to return home and retrieve a different doorstopper from The Stack.

That still hasnt prevented me from buying paperbacks, though there have been outlying cases where the e-book version came out long before the paperbacks have.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
0takuMetalhead said:
Call me old-fashioned, but I love to just feel and read a real book. And they certainly look nicer on a shelf than a e-book.
in ones library sure, but when travelling it becomes a bind, specially if you read at a half decent speed. which is really what they are for. not for at home.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
While I generally prefer paperbacks, as I like having a solid product for anything other then games, I'm a big Kindle user and will always have it with me if I expect to be hanging around somewhere or have a long journey.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I use my kindle for about 90% of my reading. The only books I get as physical copies are bargain bin books from the local book store and textbooks.
I've had a kindle for a good few years now. I love them; my only complaint would be that the screen has a horrible habit of simply freezing if you leave it on standby for more than a few weeks. I've has two in as many years that just broke like that.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
I've got a Kobo and really like it. I still buy paper books, but ebooks have largely replaced the cheap paperbacks I used to purchase (I'm still more than happy to shell out some for a hardcover I really want). It's also a great way to stock up on old public domain stuff (most of which is downloadable for free somewhere).

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Paper books have no upsides to an e-reader (excluding large format books) except for sentimental reasons, reading a book in bed is a pain because of the spine stuff, traveling with them is impractical because they are large and heavy, there's no benefit visually; any kindle past the DX matches the clarity of a real book, Ebooks are cheaper by a fair margin (I've saved the cost of an e reader twice over in a few years of owning one.

Also Ebooks have the ability to look up words with the inbuilt dictionaries which is a massive time saver, the ability to highlight sections is amazing for when I want to talk about quotes (although I wont type notes on the kindle, too slow)

As a pragmatist its literally the only option.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Yes. I read on my tablet. I haven't bought a single physical copy of a book, game or a movie since i moved from my parents apartment, everything is digital, i dislike reading/watching the same thing twice so i prefer not to have those things taking up space in my home.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
They're quite good. Amazon had a fairly liberal return policy as well, in that two of their damn kindles broke in my pocket (they can't handle the slightest bit of torque) and they replaced them without any fuss.

I only have the most basic model, and it can still do black and white comics perfectly well, which I am quite impressed by.