Poll: Do you vote?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I would have last election, but I wasn't allowed to cause I'm a filthy European and apparently that invalidates me being able to choose what happens in the country I'll live in for the next 5 years >_>

If I did though, I'd just spoil the ballot. Choices across the board were shit and protest voting would've been my only option.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
From the US.
Yep, for all the good it does. "Here are a bunch of evil and/or stupid people. It is your job to select the one with the least amount of these characteristics. The decision will then go to a small group of people who may or may not have been bankrolled and may or may not have your best interest at heart."

Politics are probably my least favorite subject of conversation.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
So far I've been voting. Each time, I seem to go through an even longer period of indecision about whether I should vote beforehand. I never feel like I'm informed enough to vote without tainting the ballots, but my indecision usually leads me to do a ton of research beforehand.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I vote. (Except a couple of times when I forgot or was busy.)

I'm Australian. Voting is compulsory here. If you don't vote you get a slap-on-the-wrist fine of like $20.

That might seem strange to people from other countries, Americans in particular, but to me it seems strange that you'd let your leaders be chosen by the 40% or so of the population who could be bother dragging their fat arses to a polling station. It's especially strange when people don't vote and then complain nonstop about whoever got into power. Well shit, maybe if all of you complaining had voted for somebody else, things would be different!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yep. My state has vote-by-mail, so there really aren't a lot of good excuses not to do so. I vote in every election, from the big bad presidential to the tiny stupid judge, rep, and alderman-type ones. I even read the voter's info packet and look up the web sites of candidates so I can have some clue where they stand.

I have to say, though, that it's almost criminal that we haven't made election day a national holiday yet.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Said it before and this is just reiteration. I live in the US. I do not vote because in the US the when you vote you are letting your voice be heard. What it is saying is "I approve of this system by giving credence and validity to a system that is known to be broken by participating in it as if it were actually functional thereby delaying the need to repair it."

I DO however, register to vote. I WOULD vote, if the electoral system were not in place and the elected officials actually did the job they are elected to do, and were not up for grabs to the highest bidder, and the law of the land didnt actually get decided and basically created by 12 judges, and any of the people involved in it even showed the slightest sign of integrity and the intention to do what is in the good of, or the will of the people.

The whole function of the US system of government has twisted the direction of power and federalized it and in so doing corrupted the foundation it was built upon leaving the power with those with money and the people without actual representation to defend against the will of who controls the money.

Thats why I still register. It is my way of saying, Yes, I would be more than happy to participate, IF there were something that deserved being participated in, and let my registered vote voice my vote of "No Confidence"

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Norway here.
Yes, I vote. Both in the general and the local election.

I'd also vote on the EU question when that comes up again.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
US citizen here. I voted once, when I was 18. Never again would I do so. Why in the world would I support what is basically a two-party system that effectively divides this country into what is basically a red/blue chessboard, influenced by pure greed and apathy toward the average citizen?

I know someone would say I can't complain if I didn't vote and the country continues to go to hell in a handbasket, but that same person would hopefully understand the irony in that statement that by voting they're in support of a broken system that needs either a replacement, or its functionality overhauled.

Every time around election season I say the same analogy; the US election season is like Alien vs Predator: whoever wins, we lose.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
viranimus said:
I DO however, register to vote. I WOULD vote, if the electoral system were not in place and the elected officials actually did the job they are elected to do, and were not up for grabs to the highest bidder, and the law of the land didnt actually get decided and basically created by 12 judges, and any of the people involved in it even showed the slightest sign of integrity and the intention to do what is in the good of, or the will of the people.
Ooooh....that sounds way more thought out and intelligent than what I said above (basically the dumbed down version of what you said)

I am also registered so now if anyone asks, I'm stealing your reasons and pretending like I thought of it.

We're so smart this idea that we both came up with! :D

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Voted in two general elections, now, and one local.

Kevlar Eater said:
Every time around election season I say the same analogy; the US election season is like Alien vs Predator: whoever wins, we lose.
And you don't have a clear preference in the manner of your demise? I certainly do!

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
well I voted for the first time in the past 3 elections last night... as someone above mentioned it's just so hard to get up the energy to invest yourself when you know they are all bad choices. the reason I got invested this time is because the current guy f'ed up so bad that a message had to be sent. And of course the guys that did end up winning are only a shade better... *sigh* it really is depressing.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
Yes. I have voted in all national elections I have been able to, I think all the EU elections, and most of the local elections.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I've voted in almost all elections I've been allowed to vote in.
I vote because I have the right to, and by voting I can make a small difference in he oucome... maybe... :p

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Brit here, I vote in every election, even the Police and Crime Commissioner ones which no-one else I knew voted in. Managed to get a nice independent in our county though. I like to have my say, and groups who vote more often (e.g. old, wealthier etc) get more political attention, so it makes sense to vote to boost my own demographic. Up until this year I lived in a marginal constituency, which helped give my vote relevance, however after the absolute slaughter of the Lib Dems this year the gap widened from less than 300 votes to 10,000, so I'm not sure that applies any-more.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Yes, voting is also compulsory in Belgium. However, I would still go to vote even if that wasn't the case.

Kolby Jack said:
Wow, really? That seems to kind of defeat some of the purpose of voting. Like it would taint the well with a lot of those "uninformed votes" I mentioned. Unless they have a spot of the ballot to abstain. Abstaining is an important choice when it comes to voting.
The theory goes that everyone needs to be heard for a vote to be representative, even if they don't really think their opinions through. Plus that extreme voters might be more likely to come out on top of the fairly content majority otherwise.

Honestly though, many people who really don't want to vote still don't go. Little action is taken against them.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Over here in the States, I vote for federal and state elections, and local if those running I've had dealings with personally. I did jury duty earlier in the year, so the judges I saw got a 'retain' vote as they all did a good job. Meanwhile, city council can sit on a cactus for trying to partially defund the only public library in our remote town.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
No i do not. The day i vote is the day there is an honest politician. Hell even if they make voting mandatory and over the internet for easy access. I will not vote out of principle.

I truly believe that for things to change and politicians to realise we are fed up with their shit. We need NO ONE to vote. A collective WE ARE SICK OF YOUR BS AND SHALL NOT VOTE FOR ANY OF YOU LYING CHEATING THEIVES".

Buuuuut, since that will never happen. I just encourage people to not vote after explaining why i personally do not.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yeah, I vote. I voted yesterday, in fact! I'm actually surprised this thread doesn't have anything to do with the Canadian federal election given the timing.
viranimus said:
Thats why I still register. It is my way of saying, Yes, I would be more than happy to participate, IF there were something that deserved being participated in, and let my registered vote voice my vote of "No Confidence"
Wouldn't it make a clearer statement if you spoiled your ballot? Or can't you do that in the states? Just not showing up could easily be misconstrued as forgetfulness, laziness, or apathy.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Canadian, and as a rule I don't bother. At least, up until this year. My better half bought my vote with love, but as a rule, I just don't buy it.

And as far as complaining about it, I normally don't, I just don't vote. But if I did, I'll fucking say what I want, for all the lot of good it does me, voting or not- I mean, I don't vote, but I do pay my taxes.