Poll: Do you want the 1990s story, "Death of Superman" in the movies?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Do you want the 1990s story, "Death of Superman" in the movies?

Movie Bob has a 2 parter about the "Death of Superman" from the 1990s. It appears it made a ton of money and producers may be frothing to include the story in movies.

Good thing?

Bad?

Your opinion?

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
A entire movie based around Superman dying? Yes please.

Hell, they could release the entire movie as a video someone took with their phone recording a flipbook of Superman getting beaten to death by Doomsday and I would still pay full price to see it.

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
Gorfias said:
Movie Bob
Yeah, I get more joy listening to myself pass wind than I do hearing him spew verbal diarrhea so I don't know the thoughts behind this BUT, watching Doomsday pummel the crap out of Superman would get my money.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Dalek Caan said:
A entire movie based around Superman dying? Yes please.

Hell, they could release the entire movie as a video someone took with their phone recording a flipbook of Superman getting beaten to death by Doomsday and I would still pay full price to see it.
Nice profile pic!

Interesting viewpoint. To you and the only other poster so far... see below

Sea Sponge said:
watching Doomsday pummel the crap out of Superman would get my money.
Did either of you read the original stories? See Doomsday in another media (cartoon? Smallville?)

Kind of off topic, but any other Superman villain you would want in a movie?

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
Gorfias said:
Did either of you read the original stories? See Doomsday in another media (cartoon? Smallville?)

Kind of off topic, but any other Superman villain you would want in a movie?
Vaguely remember reading the comic where Doomsday and Superman beat each other to death ... well, almost seeing as Doomsday can't really die and as Superman is still going i'll call it a tie.

I did watch Smallville though, actually quite liked it. Separating Doomsday from Davis so he can kill Jimmy because he's a bit of a loon ... genius idea.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Sea Sponge said:
I did watch Smallville though, actually quite liked it. Separating Doomsday from Davis so he can kill Jimmy because he's a bit of a loon ... genius idea.
I'll have to watch it. I think it is streaming on either Netflix or Amazon Prime. If not, I have a buddy might own it. I stopped watching after Luthor stopped being in it but now I hear a lot of good happened after that.

Edit: Nope. Not streaming :-(

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Gorfias said:
Do you want the 1990s story, "Death of Superman" in the movies?

Movie Bob has a 2 parter about the "Death of Superman" from the 1990s. It appears it made a ton of money and producers may be frothing to include the story in movies.

Good thing?

Bad?

Your opinion?
He needs a least 3 or 4 movies before they can pull any variation of the Death of Superman story arc. You need to give the DC universe a hero that it would be sad to lose before you play that card. Also it would probably help if they did not do it at all since killing him and bringing him back would bring that annoying revolving-door-afterlife the comics all have.

I read the original story, (some of it), and I remember it being pretty good. Granted I was a little kid at the time. Nothing other than the big battle with Doomsday himself stands out as memorable though.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I think the concept certainly has potential, but a straight adaption of the source material? I don't think so.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
No thanks. It's basically Superman vs Hulk, only not the Hulk, because that would be too cool, and with no victor, since they both "die." Most especially no if it means I have to put up with that ass-clown new Superboy all over again.

It's a pretty sure bet whatever the movie is will be a rehash of something that happened in the comics, though.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
[I couldn't find that GIF of De La Soul laughing so just imagine it here]

Fu-hu-huck no.
I don't even like american comics and I can see why that would be a stupid idea.
Although considering how bleh this "Dawn of Justice" thing is looking I wouldn't be surprised if it happens anyway.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
It would be interesting to see superman actually fight people at his level. The only ones I know of that at that level are Dark seed, Apoc, and Zodd. Otherwise its another Lex Luther romp featuring cryptonite device #123485748 which will totally defeat superman this time!!!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
'The Death of Superman' isn't a particularly great comic; it's pretty much one long fight scene, lasting a huge number of pages. If Doomsday were the sole villain, it would be an uninteresting film, but if he were a weapon or enforcer for somebody else, he has potential.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not really, if they wanted a film based on his death then they should go with the All-Star Superman story.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Why not?

From what I've read though (I'm not a huge fan of Superman and haven't read much of that stuff) that particular story is uninteresting, but the concept could be made to work.
But it would need a good buildup.
The way Superman is now in the movie-series, why would the world care and grive if he died?

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
Gorfias said:
Sea Sponge said:
I'll have to watch it. I think it is streaming on either Netflix or Amazon Prime. If not, I have a buddy might own it. I stopped watching after Luthor stopped being in it but now I hear a lot of good happened after that.

Edit: Nope. Not streaming :-(
It has a few bad episodes but it does have some pretty good ones. The final 2 episodes were pretty decent I thought.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Hell no. Mostly because it would probably end up being similar to Superman/Doomsday which was not one of the better entries into the DC animated movie universe IMO and seeing that but with a ton of CGI doesn't seem like a good idea. Doomsday, to me, just isn't a particularly interesting character. Never has been and, barring writing that significantly eclipses anything I've seen out of DC/Warner Bros. to date, he never will be.