Poll: Do you want to get married?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i would like to, someday, kinda need a significant other for that one, and i don't have one :/ should start looking, but haven't, not keen on getting hurt again

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
Marriage is nothing but an arbitrary, guilt-mongering, bullshit stamp of approval invented by the clergy to keep their congregation in line! A stamp of approval for which you apparently have to pay through the nose, then again if you want to split up! And for what, a slight tax relief?

Blackmagic1515

Jul 6, 2009
Sure someday I'd like too. Not right now, it just wouldn't be practical. But too me, marriage is the ultimate sign of commitment. Showing how you really do want to be with this person for the rest of your life. The ceremony itself I don't actually care about, but the party afterwards and the holiday sound good.

But yes, eventually I would like to get married to the right person. Kids on the other hand, now that's a different story altogether ...

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
skcseth said:
Varun Garuda Maharaj said:
we all know the up and downs of marriage.
I'd be curious to know (seeing as I'm not married at the moment) what the majority of people see as the downs of marriage. I know the obvious: cheating, divorce, finances, but is there anything else us single folk should be made aware of that might not be instantly apparent?
For the record, I do want to get married soon, but it's turned into a long distance relationship and she's starting to get "worried". W/e :/
I don't see how cheating is a disadvantage, IF the significant other deosn't know about it.

Divorce ofcourse is a problem when the goods have to be split up, but the most immediate risk is just a bad relationship.

The infatuation phase lasts about a year, maybe a year and a half and then those love hormones stop flowing and you'll find out how much you really dislike the person you're living with. Love really makes you blind.
If you're lucky the rest of your married life you'll manage to ignore eachother most of the time and the whole thing will be just boring and uneventful, except for your kids giving you grief every once in a while.
If you're unlucky you'll hate eachother and every day you return from work, you'll have another row in the house. Just about every kind of set back in life, you can get used to, but a bad relationship damages you every day.

mobsterlobster

Sep 13, 2009
I think too many people get married when they're not ready. I've read that 45% of marriages end in divorce. Those people need to sit down and think really hard about the person they're with before they decide whether they want to get married.
But to answer the question, I am not planning on getting married, or having children, or even settling down with someone. I believe a lot of people get married because they think it's normal and if they don't people will look down on them or something. I'm not saying everyone who gets married thinks that, there are definitely marriages that work and I know couples who are perfect for each other.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
ten.to.ten said:
I never thought I'd want to get married, then I met the love of my life and all that changed.

However, I'm gay so I can't.
That's bullshit. There's no reason why that should be the way it is. Come move to Massachusetts, it's legal here. Fuck the homophobes ^^

OT: No. Judging by the fact that it only takes a couple of months for me to absolutely hate every fiber of somebody's being, I'd say I never will. I don't even like short-term relationships, so forget marriage.

Sep 14, 2009
Brutal Peanut said:
I am married. :D

It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be,....if you continue to treat each other like adults, and don't sweat the small stuff. Like fighting about pot roast or envelopes. Or who didn't start the dishwasher. Seriously,..who does that?

I never expected him to change for me, and vice-versa. He's my best friend, and we have a pretty great time together.

Edit: Also, we didn't start out planning to get married, and we don't really wear our wedding rings. I wasn't even the one who brought it up. It was about 3 1/2 years in, when he started asking me about marriage. I was perfectly happy to just stay together, and I told him so. But he eventually asked on his own time when he was sure he was ready, I said sure, and that's that.
oh god i can only hope to have a marriage like this.

OT: personally yeah i see myself getting married eventually, call me old fashioned, but thats just where i see myself.

of course it wont be till im absolutely ready, like the person i quoted is/was.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
I've seen my dad get divorced twice.

No marriage for me.

Live with one woman? Sure. But I'm not going to complicated things with legalities.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
Yes, actually. I've got this lame dream for my future, you see. Something where I meet "the woman of my dreams" and I become a doctor and we get married and get a nice house in the suburbs and have a couple of kids. You know, boring stuff. But that's just how I am.

arcus_angelus

Oct 15, 2008
Yeah marriage sounds like a concept I could get on board with, if it's with the right person. I just don't get married all willy nilly! (PS: I love the term "willy nilly" lol!)

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
Personally, I don't see the point. Plus I think it's more remarkable if two people are together for 30 years without the bureaucracy and furious legal battle that is divorce.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Probably not no. Maybe if I meet the right lass when I'm in my late 20's/early 30's but no way right now. I've got too much stuff I want to do

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
I'm ambivalent to it. If the better half I meet is insistent about it, then sure, why not? But as it is, I don't need a ring, a document, and a bunch of traditions and rituals to know that I love someone.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
i dont know but i did propose to my girlfriend with an onion ring, I would have done it again but the restaurant was ungracious enough to not have any.

the rye

Jun 26, 2010
I probably should marry a girl from a good family (as i'm expected to) but i think i will stick to being a confirmed bachelor.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
figday said:
nope. at least not at the moment.
but if its her...

insta marriage!
I wish people would stop posting pics of me on the interwebz.
/joke