Poll: Do you watch television?

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
We have satellite, but the only person who really uses it is my mom. We don't have HBO, so I can't watch Game of Thrones, and most of the shows I want to watch are on Netflix or Hulu, which are more convenient most of the time.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I still watch TV, mostly just the stuff I watch with the whole family, like 'Spicks and Specks' when it was on, 'Doctor Who' or 'QI'

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
My TV is only used for my PS3 and that's it. Any shows i wanna watch i just look up on my laptop. That way i don't have to worry about the things i watch colliding with other, more un-controllable, situations that could pop up out of nowhere.

Now that i think about i don't really watch that many shows anyways... i think i'm limited to Doctor Who and MLP: Friendship is Magic. Unless you count the anime as well.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No - the internet offers what I want to see when I feel like watching it. Scheduling my life around the t.v is something I haven't done for several years now.

Heck, if it wasn't for gaming consoles, I'd have no use for a T.V in the home at all. I could care less about movies on a big screen.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Every day? No not really.
My uncle watches TV all the time and I'll occasionally watch whatever he's watching for a few minutes whenever I come upstairs for a drink or something. I very rarely sit down and watch a full program. Whenever I do, it is because I am that bored. Even when I do sit down and watch TV, I'll just watch Discovery channel or see if a movie is on.
The only time that I watch TV because something I want to watch is on it, is for hockey games.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Nope, the internet is glorious like that. I still watch some things on line or on dvd that were on tv but not actual television anymore.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
This poll needs more than a pure yes/no option.
Why? The poll asks if you watch TV, it doesn't ask if you watch it all the time or watch it once a week. It just asks if you watch TV.
Kind of like asking "do you breathe air?".
It doesn't matter if you breathe more than the average person or hold your breath all day, you still breathe air.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
because of the my dorm room is laid out, i cannot connect my tv to cable without running a 20 foot cable across the room. so no, i don't. but i used to. i don't miss it, though because i have netflix and i watch a lot of stuff on hulu. i wish hulu would upload season 3 of archer, though.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Torrasque said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Why? The poll asks if you watch TV, it doesn't ask if you watch it all the time or watch it once a week. It just asks if you watch TV.
It doesn't matter if you breathe more than the average person or hold your breath all day, you still breathe air.
Because there's a pretty big difference between someone like me, who watches it once in a blue moon, and people like my parents, who watch it as their primary source of both news and entertainment? The air breathing analogy is a good one: almost no one categorically avoids watching TV. It's next to impossible. However, I'd say a good chunk of this site's userbase only watch a few shows, and otherwise use their TVs as glorified monitors.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Nope, I don't even have a TV.

I haven't had one in my house for about 15 years, in fact.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Not in 15 years. Most of the stuff I want to watch are not in my area anyway. Heck even Generation Kill was never here and I had to wait a year and a half before the VCD even came. And damn was it difficult to find.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
TV with commercials? HELL NO. I wait for full TV serieses to come out then get those and watch them. HATE commercials with every fibre in my body. ¬.¬

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Torrasque said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Because there's a pretty big difference between someone like me, who watches it once in a blue moon, and people like my parents, who watch it as their primary source of both news and entertainment? The air breathing analogy is a good one: almost no one categorically avoids watching TV. It's next to impossible. However, I'd say a good chunk of this site's userbase only watch a few shows, and otherwise use their TVs as glorified monitors.
I agree that there is a big difference between someone like you or I that watches it once a month maybe and your parents that watch TV all the time, but for the purposes of the poll I say keep it as yes/no.
Include a "I watch TV but..." or "I don't watch TV but..." if it makes you feel better. Including a "sort've" option just weakens the poll by opening up the options for "well I sorta do, but not really", "I do on thursdays every odd month", "only when good shows are on".

Get what I mean?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I do still watch TV, but not nearly as often as I used to a few years ago. Usually I'll only watch it if: I just woke up and it's not already after ten(I hate waking up after ten unless I was up really late that night), my computer is being extra retarded again/I'm done with the internet for the day, or if I just feel like it.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Torrasque said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Torrasque said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I agree that there is a big difference between someone like you or I that watches it once a month maybe and your parents that watch TV all the time, but for the purposes of the poll I say keep it as yes/no.
Include a "I watch TV but..." or "I don't watch TV but..." if it makes you feel better. Including a "sort've" option just weakens the poll by opening up the options for "well I sorta do, but not really", "I do on thursdays every odd month", "only when good shows are on".

Get what I mean?
Well yeah, that's my point, though: the majority of the people who are voting no actually /do/ watch to some extent. If people were honestly answering the poll it would be, like, 90% yes. It's a big issue in social science: the way you word a poll influences the results more than anything else.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Sometimes when there's something good on tv or I'm just really bored I do but not nearly as much as I used to as a kid. When I was little I would watch tv very often but nowadays, I can hardly find anything that interests me on tv most of the time. I use the internet much more now to watch stuff, it's just more convenient.