Poll: Do you wear jewellery and why?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Something that just occurred to me - how many of you fine people wear jewellery? I'm personally not a form over function guy, so I don't. Well, I didn't use to, at least - now I wear an NFC ring which does actually offer function.

If you're not aware what an NFC ring is (I wasn't until very recently)- it's a ring with an NFC module [http://www.techradar.com/news/what-is-nfc] in it, so it can communicate with devices such as smart phones. It can be used to unlock the phone as it serves as a key, so it's a great addition for security. You can also set your phone to do stuff when connected to a specific NFC tag, like play music, for example.

So, this got me thinking - I don't normally wear any ornaments, however, I now do. And I thought it was only in order to be pretty. So, perhaps there is more than that. Do you guys wear any trinkets and if so why?

(don't feel bad if you don't have a "special" reason for jewellery)

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Do watches count?

I have a smart watch for sleep/exercise/golf. I have zero interest in any jewelry like earrings or necklaces or rings or anything of that nature.

So if the watch counts, I suppose I technically do with your same "function over style" thinking. If it does not count, then no and I have no interest in trying.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Male and yes.

I only wear two things; my watch and my class ring from college. My watch changes only between my casual one and my nice suit/formal one. My class ring I don't wear to work or if I'm going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting/if it could easily get lost during that activity.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
Do watches count?
I guess it's down to you. I wear a watch but I don't consider it jewellery. It's old and not like "vintage" - it's just an elecronic watch I bought about a dozen years ago. I only use it to check the time.

Some people definitely wear a watch as a fashion accessory, though. My mom keeps hassling me every once in a while to change mine since "it looks ugly" but I have no reason to - works for what I want it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
No, but not because I dont want to. I got my ears pierced but uh...shit happened.

Also I cannot for the life of me find earrings like Link's. I dont know why, they arent even anything exotic or complicated, just blue and ring shaped.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No "sometime" or "used to"?

I mean I used to. In my teen I did had a mindset that jewelry were irrelevent than being flashy metals but my mindset kinda changed when I saw this ring in Topman (fashion shop for men). It was bascially three different metal rings that stack together to become one. That caught my eyes and I end up buying it. I only worn it for a few months until my sweat corrode the inside.

After that it was an lizard etched onto the ring and a mood ring aswell. What? I always wanted a mood ring for its gimmich!

Oh I got some pendents too which pretty much follow the first paragraph (worn it until I lost interest). Technically there is one pendant that I should be wearing (typical Chinese to believed it suppose to bring me good luck) but I don't believed it will bring me good luck and fortune.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
No "sometime" or "used to"?
Ran out of options in the poll and...honestly, it's not supposed to be that accurate. If it's "used to", then you are free to just vote "no". If it's "sometimes", just decide on one or the other. Or vote bacon. Or don't vote.

In this topic YOU decide!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have a thin, silver chain with a pendant of my grandmother?s fingerprint in sterling silver; my parents had it made for me when she passed 12 years ago. And I wear two rings on my right middle and ring fingers. The ring on my ring finger separates into two pieces; I got it when I divorced my wife and trashed my wedding band: a ring that separates on the exact opposite finger from where one traditionally wears a wedding band. (I thought it was clever; she didn?t? XD) The ring on my middle finger just spins and I fidget with it; that?s right, I was fidgeting WAY before you kids and these spinners and fidget cubes.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Yup, and I mainly wear rings because rings are awesome.

I have three on my left hand, and two on my right hand. I'm trying to find another one to balance out the ring-age that I have going on.

Other than that, I do wear a necklace that I don't take off. It's a crucifix with a pendant of Saint Jude right next it on the same chain. Some times I also wear a Chrono Trigger time key one that was originally a keychain, but I took off the keychain bit and replaced it with a necklace strand bit. I wear that for when I have to dress up for something.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Sorta, I've got this neoprene necklace with this polished and enameled shell set in a metal thing I got when I was a kid. And in a few months my wedding ring, but that's sorta gonna be put on some kind of other necklace most of the time since wearing a ring in a kitchen is a great way to get burned, screw up the forming of some things, and be a big pain in the ass to clean.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Xprimentyl said:
I was fidgeting WAY before you kids and these spinners and fidget cubes.
Oh, hey - that's drifting off in a different direction but I do have a fidget cube and it's awesome. I don't get the hate, although I see it mainly directed at the fidget spinners. Yeah, I do fidget a lot, but the cube is pretty cool - it means I have something useful on hand, as opposed to "improvising" - clicking a pen, tapping my feet, actually physically spin something, cracking my knuckles, play with a coin (which can fall and make noise), etc. I used to bite the inside of my cheeks in the past, too, and that was actually quite annoying, even if it didn't disturb people around me as much. The fidget cube both feels great to play with and is not disruptive, either.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I am female and yes, I wear Jewelry, I wear different jewelry with different outfits, though I am really picky about what I will wear. I do not wear anything big, bold or bulky. I prefer simple necklaces with small charms, Celtic knot rings and marquise cut stones. I have quite a bit of jewelry with dragonflies, butterflies, turtles, frogs and lizards but mostly dragonflies. I like silver more than gold, but have a bit of gold as well. Sometimes I will wear some understated beaded jewelry as well, but usually only pieces me or one of my sisters make since we like similar styles and it has sentimental value as well.

EDIT: In regards to why I wear jewelry... I always have so I pretty much feel like something is missing without it. I am just used to it being there and I also like to choose pieces that were gifts to remind me of the people who I care about that gave them to me when I feel them or see them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I used to wear a wristwatch, but eventually I quit bothering considering I have my cellphone with me in any situation where I'd need a watch. So now, no- jewelry is just something I'd have to keep track of.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
yeah. i got a barbell in my tongue, but i only wear it because it rust sealed and i can't actually remove it. -.-;;

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Female and yes.

Necklace that hasn't come off since early college years and since recently a bracelet. Since a year or 2 a lippiercing aswel.
Oh, and since 2008 I tend to keep those festival wristbands on my right wrist when it is made of fabric. The oldest one is from 2011.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Got my ear pierced when I was but a wee lad of..two years or so. Been wearing an earring on and off since then. Now I'm slowly stretching the hole (within reason). No particular thought behind it, just think it can look nice. I also wear a wristwatch when it's not too hot out.

Might get some kind of metal in the face, but... meh. Dunno yet. Definitely been playing with the idea though.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Male and yes. I have a silver necklase and a matching silver chain for my wrist which i rarely wear anymore because it always gets in the way while working and then i just forget to put it back on.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I have lots of jewellery in the form of rings, necklaces and armbands.
I've always been fascinated with the designs and the sparkly.
I even have plans for making/crafting my own.

Sadly, I have super-sensitive skin and whatever I wear chafe way too much to be able to keep them on for any protracted length of time.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Female and I said no but it's kind of a lie. I do wear jewelry rarely...like twice a year and that comes from special events like funerals or weddings. I feel weird whenever I do too like there is constantly something hanging from me and I'm not wrong. A pandora bracelet and my class ring are some of the 10 or so pieces I actually own.