Poll: Do you wear jewellery and why?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Catfood220 said:
Poetic Nova said:
Female and yes.

Necklace that hasn't come off since early college years and since recently a bracelet. Since a year or 2 a lippiercing aswel.
Oh, and since 2008 I tend to keep those festival wristbands on my right wrist when it is made of fabric. The oldest one is from 2011.
I used to have a load of festival wristbands on my wrist but over time the material has decayed and they have all come off. I'm putting it down to them constantly getting wet when I shower or otherwise get wet. I only have one from this years Download Festival now.

Other than that, I usually wear a wrist watch and a couple of rubber charity bands.
Yeah, the one from 2008 gave the ghost some time ago, a rip that got bigger and bigger. Stil have it somewhere however.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Damn, dude. Damn. I don't think I've ever heard someone describe dressing plainly as so...dominating. I like it.
Nine tenths of teaching is mastering the "teacher's stare" and "teacher's voice". Get that down and Gandalf has fuck all on you. You know you've got it when you can just see the colour drain slowly from their faces.

Teaching is fun.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Used to wear rings and necklaces all the time, but not so much now...

I had a special pewter pendant comissioned twelve years ago. It was at the beginning of the relative ease of accessing 3D printing, however the jewelers I worked with had to send for the mold to be made in Texas (it is based on a 3D model I made, and ... well, I know it seems petty, but I wanted as little outside artistic influence as possible in it's creation.) I would have made it myself, but I hadn't had much time back then.

I don't wear it all of the time, anymore... but I did, and I try to wear it when in a plain shirt, or off work.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I'm a dude and I never used to, but a few years ago I bought a fitness tracker watch and that's been married to my left wrist ever since, and then I picked up a thin black bracelet with a tasteful skull to compliment it on the right wrist. Those two things are practically permanently attached to my person now, and fit in well with my business casual look that I need for my job

For the weekend I up my game a bit with a couple rings (I leave my wedding ring spot bare tho, to the chagrin of my girlfriend) and some bigger bracelets. If you can pull it off as a dude it's a pretty small but easy opportunity to set you apart from some other dudes out there if you are still in the dating scene

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
I am a male and I wear what is essentially a wedding ring though we have not officially gotten married. I think technically we are common law married at this point but yeah no big ceremony quite yet because of the perpetual poverty of working life wooo.

but just a simple grooved white gold band

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yes, lots and always varying depending on mood. Alleged XX chromosome creature here, and... because I can?
If I had to pin down some reasons, I like the look, feel and variety of it all. Plus I'm a socially anxious fiddler in public which jewellery very much helps with. I find my normal body far too boring and must hang and decorate it with shiny and/or pretty things so I don't completely hate myself upon seeing the dreaded reflection. I dislike the thought of wearing gold though. Gold can bugger right off. Looks fine on others, but not for me.

Seeing this thread mentions class rings on multiple occasions, I have to ask as it's the first I've heard of them, are they an American school culture thing? I would personally avoid wearing anything that connected me to school memories.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Yes, lots and always varying depending on mood. Alleged XX chromosome creature here, and... because I can?
If I had to pin down some reasons, I like the look, feel and variety of it all. Plus I'm a socially anxious fiddler in public which jewellery very much helps with. I find my normal body far too boring and must hang and decorate it with shiny and/or pretty things so I don't completely hate myself upon seeing the dreaded reflection. I hate the thought of wearing gold though. Gold can bugger right off. Looks fine on others, but not for me.

Seeing this thread mentions class rings on multiple occasions, I have to ask as it's the first I've heard of them, are they an American school culture thing? I would personally avoid wearing anything that connected me to school memories.
I am also surprised by the number of class ring wearers. Could still be an American thing that I just dont personally participate in, but would be news to me.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
I'm a guy and i've got a dive watch.
Basically a big block of steel on an elastic band, but it's nice and very practical.

Aug 31, 2012
Male and no. Never really been one for personal adornments. Tattoos, piercings, jewelery, nah mate (or at least not on me, fine on other people though). Only piece of jewelry I ever wore was a necklace of letters "mekeanti" or mekiante, which was an anagram of ketamine pulled out at random and it sounded like a word, so it stuck. It made sense at the time.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Woman and yes. Apart from my engagement and wedding rings in a necklace (due to hygiene rules at work) I wear the occasional pair of ear rings. On very, very rare occasions I also wear bracelets and purely decorative rings.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
No, not really although it's more that I don't spend much money on clothes, if I earned a bit more money and I do mean just a bit more, yeah, I would I like piercings and I would love to have 1 ear pierced with multiple piercings, and there are tons of necklaces and bracelets I'd love to wear.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
When I was younger I did. Male. I used to wear a silver ring on my hand, and what I've always called a Bajoran earring from DS9(the earring that has a chain linked to a clamp, and the clamp attaches to the top curve of your ear). I used to also wear various necklaces, from a stainless steel bead chain that made for an awesome improvisational whip (albeit short). To a hand made necklace a friend made, of my zodiac. It represents the entire zodiac orbit, and each segment she made, represented that place in the sky. I had her put the various planets in the proper regions of the sky they were in at my birth, and the center point, was a medallion with Libra on it. I never believed in the zodiac stuff, but I did like the idea of a celestial oriented necklace, that was unique to me (and everyone else born that day).

When I wore most of that jewelry, it was for my own enjoyment. The earring was during an experimental phase (I was literally running a social experiment), more than anything else. At the time (early 20's for me), I decided to see how people would react to me dressing "out of type", for a tall, athletic, heterosexual male. I'm 6ft 4inches, and at the time, very thin and athletic. I also had long hair that I wore in a topknot most days. So, i started wearing fingernail polish, that chain earring, and occasionally eye liner and lipstick. Partly because I did think the coloring looked cool, but mostly just to see how many people asked me if I was either a:

1. ******
or
2. Fan of Marilyn Manson

This was during the 90's, so it was more relevant then.

I also only used hot pink lighters for my cigarettes and pot smoking, to see how many people freaked out about my "gay lighter" (sadly quite a lot). It amused me to see how many people made some huge assumptions about who I was, simply based on a bit of coloring, in specific locations. I'd still wear regular clothing for a typical straight guy of the time, baggy jeans/cargo pants, baggy shirts, typical semi-grunge look.

Since then, now that I'm 40, I don't bother with any of that anymore. Mostly because I got my answer, in that a lot (not all) of people really are that superficial, but also because of my job. Can't dress like that at my place of employment, so I don't. Though if one of my god daughters asked me if they could paint my nails, I wouldn't bat an eyelash about it and let them go at it.

My default state of being is relatively silly, so I'm usually willing to do whatever if it gets a laugh out of people.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I have a couple of cheap watches I match to my belt/shoes for work or when I'm going out and being social. Other than that no, unless you count my eyebrow piercing as jewelry.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
DoPo said:
Xprimentyl said:
I was fidgeting WAY before you kids and these spinners and fidget cubes.
Oh, hey - that's drifting off in a different direction but I do have a fidget cube and it's awesome. I don't get the hate, although I see it mainly directed at the fidget spinners. Yeah, I do fidget a lot, but the cube is pretty cool - it means I have something useful on hand, as opposed to "improvising" - clicking a pen, tapping my feet, actually physically spin something, cracking my knuckles, play with a coin (which can fall and make noise), etc. I used to bite the inside of my cheeks in the past, too, and that was actually quite annoying, even if it didn't disturb people around me as much. The fidget cube both feels great to play with and is not disruptive, either.
Oh, there's no hate from me for the fidget doohickies; just pointing out that I scratched that itch that everyone suddenly seems to have now a long time ago.

But if there IS any hate, it's just because they're popular; anything popular usually has fervent base of haters.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Nope. I find jewlery on men tacky. I do have my nipple pierced though. But thats for sexual reasons. Its just a simple ring, to amplify... well you get it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
For some people, it works. For me, it would just sort of be there and do nothing.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I guess I am chosing male and yes.
What I wear is a watch, not anything fancy but something that looks quite good and works as a way to know the time

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I USED to wear a rather large amount.
Multiple necklaces, rings, ear rings, bracelets.

I was basically a walking 'o fuck, here comes the nightmare' for any kind of metal detector.

I just loved being colorful as can be, plus I love playing around with some of my more...spin-able...pieces.

But...I got a job in Texas at one point, in the oil industry, which lead to a LOT of that stuff being taken out/off.
If Texas is right-wing Jesus leaning. The oil industry is penis first, P.C. is a challenge, far far right-wing Jesus leading.

So...yeah.
Hair cut. Jewellery out. Never bothered to get ears pierced again.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Just a regular necklace

Would only wear a bracelet if it was from Rosario vampire

http://rpguniverse.forumotion.com/t1249-the-vampire-s-arsenal