Poll: Do You Write In Cursive?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Hell no, it just looks dreadful with my handwriting. They slapped cursive in my face when I went to primary school, then I immediately dropped it when I moved up because i just hated it, and my handwriting improved drastically when I did.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
Not if I want others to be able to read it.

(The word in the picture is "дышишь", "breathe", by the way)

It's important for me to be able to read it though, since a lot of historical documents are written in cursive.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
No, there isn't a don't write at all option either. I only ever sign things I need to, pens and pencils don't really exist to me. As for it being taught in class...

Terrible waste of time, extra touch typing lessons would be more of use.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Where's the "It's Complicated" option?

When I write in my journal, I use block Latin. When I write a note in English, I use cursive Latin. When I write definitions and lists in Cyrillic, I use block Cyrillic. When I write anything else in Russian, I use Cyrillic cursive. My signature is either cursive Latin, cursive Cyrillic or block Cyrillic depending on what I'm signing and how asleep I am at the time.

...The only truly consistent aspect of my writing is that it sucks. "Russian cursive makes me sad sometimes", indeed.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I write in astute-retard. Which is to say I'll switch between neat connected flowing script to 3rd grade special needs child mid-word.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
No, only my signature. My Swedish teacher made me give up cursive when I was 13 since she couldn't read it. Don't think I'd remember how to write like that if I tried now.

I think it's quite pointless these days and it's bound to get even more pointless now that more and more bring laptops to school for their notes. It can be handy at times, but overall... pointless.
Looks nice when done properly though.

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
Yes, by accident. Actually, I only half write in cursive, I switch between cursive and normal, which is horrible for people to read. It's bad. Bad bad bad. It should not be taught.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
No, I can't reasonably assume people can read them. After all, writing is a form of communication.

sure why not taught in school. It's still an art form.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I actually do write in cursive on the rare occasion I write anything & surprisingly enough it's fairly legible.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
When I write notes for myself, I write in Cursive. However, my cursive writing is so slanted that people have trouble reading it, at least initially. Whenever I have to write something that someone else is going to have to read, I use block letters and I write as neatly as possible.

Years of reading patient charts and having to deal with the often borderline illegible writing of doctors has led me to try to write as neatly and as clearly as possible whenever it is my time to write in the chart.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Did you know that if you set font-family to cursive in a HTML document you get Comic Sans MS? I learned that yesterday when I was looking for a nice attractive font for a wedding website. Wasn't quite the effect I was going for.

In answer to your question, always, and my handwriting is illegible. It would be pretty hard to read anyway, but I got into the habit at a young age and it's difficult to break.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I get about 1/3 the way down the page/form and my block letter handwriting starts to turn into cursive (not real cursive, just really shitty handwriting) as my brain screams to be able to use a keyboard again and wants to get going at a more normal and reasonably paced 85 WPM. Does that count?

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
No. I write in printed capitals as I need to for my work and it's kind of stuck around.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
In my school I had such a hard time with cursive that I was just excused from learning it. It just isn't important these days, and it's hard to read it (though I can given time).

And Man

May 12, 2014
Not really. After I learned it, I wrote almost exclusively in cursive throughout middle school and high school (with Spanish class being the exception, because it just made it more difficult to read). However, once I started college and had to start taking and reviewing notes in class more, I found that my notes were harder to follow when I wrote them in cursive, so I started printing instead. Other than taking notes in class, I pretty much just typed everything as opposed to handwriting it, so that's where my cursive writing more or less ended.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
It's faster, so I use it when taking notes in class, but at work I tend not to, as my handwriting is ugly as sin. It's quite readable, but it's an abomination visually...

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Depends.

If a native speaker is reading it, or if it's a signiature or an important document, then cursive.

However, if I want a Chinese person to read it, I use a stroke system similar to Chinese because it's efficient and easy when applied to Roman Characters.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I write in a similar typeface to the top of the page where it says "post reply" or "thread index". Its easy for others to read and it stands out