Poll: Do You Write In Cursive?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I do sometimes, but not very often. I don't find I write better or faster because of it and most people these days seem to have trouble reading it.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
I voted no but I write by hand so infrequently that my writing is a strange bastardized amalgamation of cursive and normal that is barely legible.

I will say that after years of not using it, I have a hard time reading even proper and neat cursive now.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
My handwriting is actually better when in cursive, so that's how I do college notes. Still have to chicken scratch during finals however.

Nuvo

Feb 13, 2012
When I have to write something down by hand, yes.
Cursive isn't something anyone really taught me, it's just how I prefer writing (especially lower case 'f',because it's classy).
Supposedly, more women use cursive than men, so I probably picked it up growing up with two sisters (I'm male :/).
My writing has never been overly neat (left handed cursive with a fountain pen FTW!), and even if I took the time to write as neat as possible, I used to get in trouble at work because apparently, cursive is like an alien language to some people.
Block writing is something I've never been much good at, and I can't write as quickly with it.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Although we were supposed to and expected to write in cursive, my writing looked pretty bad so I switched to print, which was much better.

When I was docked in a rather major English exam for writing in print and not cursive and went apeshit, even going as far as writing (in print!) a rather stroppy letter to the NEAB pointing out that surely the who point was WHAT I wrote, not how I wrote it!

Unsurprisingly, they didn't reply...I still wish I'd sent a copy to the local newspaper.

To this day I still write in print for the same reason as before although I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also out of sheer, bloody-minded contempt for the NEAB, too!

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Not sure how it is in your neck of the woods. Around here cursive is the default, it's what's thought in schools. Calligraphy is important. My writing wasn't always legible, often called ugly, but I can write really fast, and really tiny if I need to.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
When writing really fast, I occasionally link letters together, but I never use actual cursive.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I write in cursive, as do most people I know as it is still taught in schools here. I read and write cursive fine, do not know that many here that do not read and write cursive easily, as it is considered the " standard" and is expected to be used. It is much faster, and as long as people are actually writing cursive, it isn't difficult to read.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Cursive is kind of shitty for lefties, so no. Though I guess my writing is kind of a cursive/print hybrid.

However, if I'm writing for myself, I write backwards from the right side of the page to the left, and my letters are reversed too. I've always found that easier even though I write just as well both ways.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Dafuq is cursive?

"Any style of penmanship in which the symbols of the language are written in a conjoined and/or flowing manner, generally for the purpose of making writing faster. "

I've never heard it called cursive before. I was taught to write with joined up letters, but found writing each letter individually to be far quicker and more legible.

cfehunter

Oct 5, 2010
I can and It's part of 2nd/3rd year primary education here.
However I don't need to handwrite much any more and forms and other official documents generally need to be clear, hence block capitals or just non-joined.

It really shouldn't be taught in schools any more. It's a pointless skill.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
I can, I just don't. The reason is that most people I run into can't read it anymore, so I learned to print instead

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I can read it, I might be able to write the alphabet or a full sentence in cursive, but I can't remember a time I've ever used it over regular print since I learned it when I was nine.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Teaching cursive was a hell of a waste of time in school. All that time spent teaching these little idiots how to make illegible scribbles when most could barely read. I Thought so little of it I never really used it outside the lessons where I was taught.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Summerstorm said:
Ooookay... the poll totally confuses. me. I would have guessed about 95% of people would have checked cursive.

Had to look up "Cursive" in wikipedia, because i thought maybe i have the wrong script/technique in mind... but nope. Cursive is the "normal" writing.

Block Letters is the "other kind". As far as i know only use for block is filling out forms (Where it had to be very clear and legible) or... if you have a writing/reading disorder. Or leaving VERY clear signs/notes for people.

My neffew for example has a bit of trouble writing and prefers to use the clearer, slower block letters, thinking about the letters one-by-one.

Hm, could be that this is another national/regional thing?

Wikipedia:

"On the 2006 SAT, a United States post-secondary education entrance exam, only 15 percent of the students wrote their essay answers in cursive.[8]"

Ok, this is just strange...
Heh, I just went and double-checked myself. This is super weird, I assumed everyone else wrote in cursive too. It's much faster for me and as long as I (and the people grading my exams) can read it I ain't bothered.

BTW, Summerstorm, your next post will be your leet-post :p

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
My regular handwriting already makes people cringe. I use cursive for my signature and it looks like the scribbles of a deranged child most of the time.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
That's a big nope for me. I could never get the hang of it when they tried to teach it in school. As for it still be taught in school, well I don't see that happening for much longer as it is quickly becoming a forgotten art. It's also a bit of a useless art if only other cursive users can read it.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Usually I do - for my signature, notes, cards, that kinda thing.

The only times I consciously make an effort to not do it is when writing something intended for a kid to read, since it might be a little harder for them. Now that I think about it - I may have to largely abandon it since I plan on teaching and anything I write on the board will likely not be cursive... for the reason above.

It's a shame; I like cursive :( I've been using it since I was 8.