Poll: Doctor who: the current doctor

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Now I havnt been keeping up with Doctor who for the past few years for certain reasons

So as far as I can tell David Tennant has finally regenerated into the new doctor, a younger looking guy Whom I havnt yet seen

my question is who do you prefer?

for me While I didn't mind Tennants doctor I felt like i Had seen it before..and when ever he would go all "serious" I couldnt take him seriously I prefered christopher eccleson I mea if I imagined a modern doctor this is how I pictured him

I also talked with somones who had been watching who said that the new doctor was good and that some of it was also due to the writing which had aparently improved

so what do you guys think?

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
David Tennant is my personal favorite, but he was the first Doctor I saw episodes for, and supposedly the first Doctor people see is usually their favorite. I do quite like Matt Smith's Doctor though, much more than I thought I would when he was first cast. Steven Moffat was always my favorite writer though, so the material Matt Smith is getting might give him a leg up. Another few seasons and Matt Smith might jump to number one, but until then Tennant is still my favorite.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sorry, but at this stage, it's impossible for me to pick a favorite Doctor. Eccleston is the one I attribute to rebirthing the show and both Tennant and Smith are what I consider keeping it in good running. To whit, I rate them all highly and too closely to each other's level of skill to pick a favorite anymore.

imPacT31

Mar 19, 2008
Don't ask me for genuine reasons but I just found that my opinion of the show went through the floor after Eccleston left the show. While I would still watch it, I did so more to mock the premises and characters than to follow the series. I don't know if it's just that I didn't like the show's change in direction or just never came to terms with Tennant, but I found it really hard to enjoy anything beyond the first series. I think that after they lost Eccleston, I actually started paying attention to the plot-holes, hand-waves and deus ex machina endings, rather than letting them slide because I appreciated the cast.

I think I watched the first two, maybe three, of Matt Smith's episodes before giving up on the show entirely. Not only did he fail to revive any interest of mine, it felt like they'd specifically written the scripts to annoy me. Those episodes were full of characters and elements from Tennant's period that I'd strongly disliked and were therefore simply unpalatable. I watched the Christmas episode and, as I'd expected, was reminded once again why I simply can't enjoy the show any more.

So yeah, my vote definitely goes to Eccleston.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Tennant. In my opinion he is The Doctor. Eccelson was a good introduction to the series, but Tennant mixed all the aspects of The Doctor. The only down side was Tennant couldn't do angry.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Eccleston

I liked his doctor the most. They also ended him in a good way too. I truely warmed up to Tennant the second he pressed the big red do not press button at the start. Then they made him all sad and crap. I would have said I liked Tennant more if they ended him better. Smith is doing a nice doctor he's a little behind Tennant right now. Depends on how his doctor developes.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
David Tennant was my first doctor, and you never forget your first doctor. That being said, I adore Matt Smith. He has done a phenomenal job.

At the moment, I prefer David Tennant, but he also had 5 seasons to work with. Matt Smith is in his first and is signed on until at least (I think) 2015, so he's got plenty of time to become my favorite. And at this rate, he will be.

Zoroastres

Sep 13, 2007
David Tennant, but he also had 5 seasons to work with.
Only three seasons. The 9th was season 1 only, the 10th (Tenant) was seasons 2-4, and 11 was season 5, which just ended w/ a Xmas special (which was fairly good).

Tennant was a great actor, and was fortunate to be in some very, very well-written episodes.

I do like the 11th Doctor as well (though I can't remember the actor's name), and think he's a great actor, and certainly worthy of the gap left by Tenant. Unfortunately, I don't think the writing has been so great... though, to be fair, Tenant didn't really get any crazy-awesome episodes until his second season, so maybe I should wait 'till this spring.

11 did probably wind up with the single-best season-finale of New Who yet, but that's not exactly saying much. (Though the 3-parter for season 3 was pretty damn good, too).

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Tennant. The current doctor looks like he's 19 and I find it hard to take him seriously.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
Tennant for me, too. Part of his charm was that you could tell that the flippant, cheery attitude was masking a lot of internalised pain that he thought he could deal with on his own, but the audience could tell was killing him, hence the eventual mental snap just before regeneration (Waters of Mars).

He was vibrant, intelligent, fun, a snappy dresser and did an insane amount of running. I loved him.

Stikibunn

Apr 27, 2009
I like Tennant a lot, my most favourite doctor.
The thing that becomes apparent in the new series is that The Doctor seems to regenerate into someone that the last doctor needed to be like. The 9th was cold and rather warlike, something that the 8th would've had to be to fight the Time War. He became the 10th who was more silly and rarely got angry (but when he did it was hilarious. "We are talking!""AND I'M NOT LISTENING!")

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
David Tennant, although I do hold a soft spot for Tom Baker, especially with Romana. Matt Smith is growing on me - I've only watched Season 6 once, so maybe I still haven't gotten over the nasty habit I have of repeating every line he says in my head and imagining what it'd be like if David Tennant had said it. Before watching the latest season, I had this misconception that he was just overly pretty with no substance, but he really isn't that bad.

Zoroastres

Sep 13, 2007
Yeah, Matt Smith is pretty good.

My main problem with him, as a character, is that while he retains the "funny" (or witty") aspects of 10, he lacks the "badass" elements of 9 and 10 that drew me into New Who to begin with.

C-45

Apr 2, 2010
David Tennant will always be my favorite with Matt Smith as a close second and and Tom Baker coming in third.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Eccleston is my favorite.
A perfect blend of dark and light. He knows when it's time to get to business and he's able to crack a joke at the right time. And his catch-phrase "Fantastic!" is pretty memorable. Also he's able to wield the whole being the doctor as a badge of authority where, imo, neither Tennant nor Smith could do it. And my favorite episode is the Are you my Mommy one, I mean seriously the kid calling the TARDIS gave me the creeps and made me laugh my ass off when Eccleston responded to him.
Don't get me wrong I also love Tennant, but not as much as Eccleston.
But I don't really like Smith, he has a terrible and annoying companion and the first couple episodes he really was portrayed as kind of an idiot. I think he did some really great work in the whole season finale, but I really don't like the whole doctor being a super friend to kids the new doctor has taken. He's supposed to be a guy that's been torn by war, sorrow, and grief at the loss of his old friends but it's like as soon as he stepped through the images of the past doctors everything about doctor who we've seen until now got tossed into the bin by the writers.

Feb 13, 2008
Grrrr....there's been Eleven Doctors, not Three.

Edit: To be fair though, there's probably been about 20 actors/actresses who've portrayed him.

The Doctor is better when given a good script though, and each person will have their own opinion on whether they prefer the manic anarchy, slow poise, verbal trickery or stoic anger that encapsulates the Doctor.

Tennant is best when he's not the Doctor (Human Nature), Ecclestone is great, Mcgann is great (and both of them were woefully underused), and Matt Smith is a return to the Fourth Doctor - with a little less ham.

Feb 13, 2008
imPacT31 said:
I think I watched the first two, maybe three, of Matt Smith's episodes before giving up on the show entirely. Not only did he fail to revive any interest of mine, it felt like they'd specifically written the scripts to annoy me. Those episodes were full of characters and elements from Tennant's period that I'd strongly disliked and were therefore simply unpalatable.
The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below contained none of the characters from Tennant's.
Victory of the Daleks only had the titular characters, and if you hate the Dalek's, then how do you like Doctor Who?

I think you're forcing yourself not to like it now. Granted I can't watch Waters of Mars, even if the Master is in it, because I've heard the writing is a 2 episode long death toll for RTD/Tennant - but it IS a kid's show, and always was. You've got to expect some kid-o-centric plots.