Poll: Does anyone else feel like "Extra Credits" is full of shit?

DarthSmiley

Feb 16, 2011
Nope.

If nothing else, they are thought provoking.

They might not have answers, but I'm okay with that. I would rather listen to them discussing something(anything, really) than listening to some random youtuber whining on and on, because they (EC) really do seem to do a LOT of research and they always discuss things reasonably, fairly and intelligently.

They are the reason I got into Game Design in the first place, but to each his own I guess.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
From the episodes I watched while they were here, I liked the information they relayed about how the industry works, but that's about all I liked. They seem to know what they want to talk about, but I felt their presentation of that material was awful.

For one, that voice is horrendous. If that's his natural speaking voice, I apologize, but they need a new reader. If it's been manipulated to make it high-pitched, it should stop. It's annoying, and the cartoony sound of it destroys (what I assume is) their serious tone.

Second, the writing makes it sound too preachy. It doesn't help that the artist draws him at a podium when talking. I realize that the writer wants to convey an inspirational, "we can do better than this, guys" attitude, but there has to be a better way of writing it. Also, I don't like that they group everyone together, as if every gamer has the same opinion on things. And then saying that "we as gamers" need to do X or Y, or something else. I don't like people speaking for me.

And I'm not all that fond of their art direction. Half the time it's that guy at the podium, a lot of time it's some stupid internet meme, and then occasionally you find something new. Maybe it's just me, but I'm tired of slideshow-style discussion shows. If you're going to recycle the same four drawings and fill the rest with things you found off google image search, just do an audio show. Same goes for MovieBob and his eight or so expression faces. I wouldn't mind listening to audio only, or reading an article. I just feel that if you're going to make me watch a video, the visuals should add something, and not waste time reminding me I'm listening to someone making a speech.

Back to the real question, I don't feel they're entirely full of it, but I do feel that the way they present themselves leads people to believe they are. And that seems to be a huge problem, judging by some of the other responses. It's not that they don't have a clue what they're saying; their credentials seem to indicate they do. It's that they're poor showmen, and can't seem to express themselves without coming off as overly preachy.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Does anyone else feel like "Extra Credits" is full of shit?
Yup, hated the show. Here's the thing Movie Bob talks a lot about stuff I know nothing about I can happily sit through his Big Picture episodes and walk away having learnt something because his delivery is fun and interesting. Extra Credits, every one of the episodes I tried to watch, felt like a lecture, a one sided talk in which you were being told why their opinion on the subject was right and for the most part the delivery was boring as all hell. I didn't get through a single whole episode of the four or five episodes I tried to watch.

Certainly don't miss them.

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
They do come across as a bit poncey sometimes, but the main problem is that the videos are just boring. They just aren't interesting enough to be worth watching.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Judgement101 said:
Atbird said:
Judgement101 said:
I despise them. They point out the obvious and act like it is some magical breakthrough. I'm sure they are all nice people but to me they will always be pretencious, self righteous jerks and petty theives.
o_O

"Petty thieves"? I don't understand. Did they plagiarize someone?
Their artist broke her wrist so they ran a fundraising thing. They quickly got the money and then used to run off money to fund a company, so they mislead the audience of the fundraiser and used the money for something that was not mentioned.
I wouldn't consider that theft. What did you expect them to do? Give all the extra money back? How do they choose who's cash they keep and who gets a refund? A gift, once given, is no longer the property of the giver.
They paid for the procedure, then looked around and said "holy crap what are we gonna do with all this extra money that was donated for a good cause, now that the good cause is taken care of?" They're trying to be responsible. They could have just blown it all on themselves, but instead they're trying to give something back by encouraging new talent... you know, the whole point of their show... encouraging the medium of video games.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
They've done some good stuff. I was actually quite enjoying them right up until that astonishingly ill advised gaming addiction segment where James mumbles at the camera for 25 minutes, sharing utterly pointless and zero impact anecdotes about how gaming totally made him miss a movie with friends one night, or something. It has this wildly overdone air of forced gravitas which is completely at odds with the power of the material...you're on pins and needles expecting the guy to tell you he has bodies stacked in his cellar like cordwood, and absolutely nothing happened. I don't know if it was a scripted misfire, or a case of James taking himself entirely too seriously and having zero perspective, or a case of this actually being a meaningful experience for him and he's just mis-reading the impact it will have on others. Like trying to tell someone about a dream you had.

Anyway, yeah. I have a hard time watching them after that. The whole thing is just faintly embarrassing now.
this so much this, i coudnt take them seriously after this

also im the only one, that when playing lonliness thought the dot had the plague and the other dots where running from him?, from my experience with depresion it was usually the group (family friends) that try to help you and you shun them away, not the other way around