Poll: does anyone EVER read the manual to a game

Maddenfreak

Jul 15, 2008
I have never read the manual to a game, I always have my dad read it, then he tells me what to do. Scratch that, he only did that once, I can ussaly figure out the game without reading it

MisterStaypuft

Mar 11, 2008
sometimes the manual is not to be missed. Some manuals have some really great stuff in them. Homeworld came with a book full of unit information written from an in-game perspective. RPG manuals usually contain some kind of story and character introduction.

if a game comes with a really big manual, chances are there's a significant amount of reference information in there. For example the Neverwinter Nights manual was basically a trimmed down Player's Handbook.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Steambot Chronicles had a manual full of jokes about the fact that nobody ever reads the manual anymore.

Pastey Old Greg

Jul 2, 2008
I stopped reading them as often recently, because they're turning into three-page manuals on how pressing right trigger shoots.

I may have to start doing it again, after I found out that right bumper fires a cannon in Mass Effect's vehicles. I went almost the entire game (sidequests too) using only the machine gun on that thing.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I read the manual (providing I get one) as soon as I get home and open it. I have missed so many important things by not reading it (and by missing said things missed easier ways to play) that if I had known would have made a few good games great.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
It depends completely on the game. When the game has an inbuilt 'Hit A to jump!' explanation that you're forced to go through, I see little point to touch the manual outside of looking at pretty pictures of the characters or monsters. When games don't have a tutorial at all, the manual is somewhat important. And when the control scheme is terribly complicated to the point that you repeatedly squat and die instead of throw the grenade, the manual is your holy book of Asgard until the game is into full completion.

And yes, the thickness of the manual is usually a guide towards how useful it will be. It was like a grade school student taking a trigonometry test when I picked up "Galactic Civilizations 2" and ignored the manual.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
I read it only if there is something that makes no sense whatsoever.

Most the time I can find out all the controlls within a couple of seconds. Although I have quite a bit of logic on my side and, unlike many people I know, don't have to waste time asking somebody who has already played the game what to do next.

For example the Splinter Cell games. I see things many people seem to overlook, such as vents, rappel points, pipes, etc..., etc...

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
I usually always read it before I play the game, although less so with console games due to the manuals being toss. The greatest 2 game manuals I can remember, Frontier: Elite 2 which came with a book of short stories alongside a very comprehensive and well written menu, and the remake of Pirates which was just really well written.

KaynSlamdyke

Dec 7, 2007
I can't see the N/A option. Time was that the manual was a great part of the game, hiding game information, plot, extra features and some backstory all tied up in a carefully packaged bundle.

Nowadays we're lucky not to get them dumped on the cd as a PDF. Used to be that on the drives home from the game store I'd read the manual so I'd have a head start on my brother. Now my game boxes are a hundredth of the size and packaged with about as much care.

Bring back the damn feelies. I am not shelling out for your so-called limited edition tin cases when it was standard to have a huge box full of gizmos and maps and doodahs back when I was growing up.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
For some reason, i absolutely love to read game manuels and official strategy guides.

I don't know why, but it's still a good thing that i found out which skills are good for which type of battle in Oblivion and found out which skills upgrade more quickly.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Usually I have a read through the manual on my way home from the game store (since that's usually by train) or I read it while the game installs. (which with modern game sizes can take quite a while.)

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I figure out the controls myself. I only look into a manual once I've already beaten the game halfway and I've unlocked all of the characters, just to see the character bios and information on the weapons. Other than that, I'd throw the manual out.