Poll: does anyone EVER read the manual to a game

DGenius

May 28, 2008
I read the manual when I'm on the trip back to my house to play the game (unless I'm driving, even then sometimes I do).

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
I always read manuals to games before I play them, and I often read some manuals multiple times if they contain character biographies, weapon/unit statistics and the like. I was actually quite annoyed when I found out GameTap does not have manuals for the majority of its games, especially Deus Ex, and so I actually found a PDF of it online before playing the game, to make sure I was up to speed on how the inventory worked etc.

Kunzer

Press R to cause ragequit
Jul 14, 2008
I'm amazed to see how many people actually read manuals. Crazy! The last time I read a manual for a video game was for Doom II, and I needed something to do during the car ride home. (I was like 10 years old, lol)

That_Stevens_Guy

Jul 15, 2008
Kunzer said:
I'm amazed to see how many people actually read manuals. Crazy! The last time I read a manual for a video game was for Doom II, and I needed something to do during the car ride home. (I was like 10 years old, lol)
Ye, I remember I used to read manuals cause installing the game was the hardest part. Going through those old menu's picking out every hardware device lol.

Now which sound card do I have... sound blaster... hmm.. video card..

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
i like them if there's backstory and weapon data. cool pictures of game art are welcome too.

Shotaro

Jul 15, 2008
Generally no, but if I open the case and the manual makes a thud noise on the floor. I realise reading it is probably necessary. Sometimes as people have said if a game has long load times or a complicated interface then I read it too.

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
i never read the manual, most of the time pressing each button to see what they do is quicker.

Gravy Devil

Jul 7, 2008
Sometimes I'll flip through the manual, but rarely. What I love is when I buy a used game and someone has left some crib notes on those back few blank pages you sometimes find in the manual. "I found the red key card in the 4th crate in the second warehouse on the left side of the complexe on FLOOR 3." Or if someone's left a button code for infinite health/weapons or something. Little hints to help out the next player so they don't have to go through the same frustration of searching for that key card, or that infinite health just takes the edge of off fighting that rediculous unbalanced boss fight.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Depends if its' a sequel to something or I'm familiar with the controls from elsewhere. I always need to know all the controls though.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm so glad I read the manual for MGS4 or I'd probably still be battling Vamp to this day. It restored my faith in manuals actually having useful information in them.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
J'aen said:
Reading the manual is the first thing I ever do.
Same here. I usually go get the game, and then have to wait for my parents to finish up whatever they originally came for, so I have ample time to kill. In this time, I read the manual and become comfortable with the controls. Did I mention it gives me something to do.

Bass_man

Jul 16, 2008
I always read the manual so i know what i have to do. I hate trying to charge into a game and and get frustrated at why an easy enemy would end up killing me.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
stompy said:
J'aen said:
Reading the manual is the first thing I ever do.
Same here. I usually go get the game, and then have to wait for my parents to finish up whatever they originally came for, so I have ample time to kill. In this time, I read the manual and become comfortable with the controls. Did I mention it gives me something to do.
Same here. I also look forward to seeing what type of manual it is. For example, the Killzone manual was like a magazine etc...etc...

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
What, I'm the only one who reads them on the can? I find they make awesome bathroom reading.

I'm offended by strategy guides. The way I figure, the game should provide everything you need to complete the game, though I make an exception for sims/strategy games. I would like to see more designers' notes and game histories though. I live for that sort of thing.

And a related question:

Does anybody ever write notes in the notes sections of game manuals? They've been included since the days of the the 2600, and I've never written anything in any manual ever.

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
thebobmaster said:
I do. Gives me something to do during load times.
Exactly.
I want to know what kind of shuriken cannon awaits me in the later level, or what kind of structure builds Nargle Riders, or what key I press to release IRCM and chaff.
That said, I applaud the sort of ingame tutorials that most games offer these days- HL2's was seamlessly integrated, most RTS's do alright, and Oblivion's wasn't bad either.