Poll: Does bad spelling on the internet bother you?

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
The internet language is what...English...but hey not everybody is from an ENG speaking country. Having an American yell at me for not typing properly is really ANNOYING.
Not to mention as gamers we have a very distinctive way of talking and typing. As long as im being understood and dont make obvious fuck ups i dont see a reason for people to get so worked up about it.

Ive seen some people who really flip over typos or people who are not that good at writing properly in ENG. . . its really douchebag-ish.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Sometimes the fact that someone's made a mistake is obvious; but other times it just looks like they're either stupid or lazy, meaning that if their asking for help or trying to get a point across I'll just ignore it.
Language only works when you adhere to its rules, if you don't your making it harder for other people to understand you, which is inconsiderate and self-defeating.

Don't do it people, just don't.

EDIT=Take for example my post, its construction and sentence structure are both awful, but you can still understand what Im trying to get across with next to no additional effort, now picture it written in leetspeak and it becomes a waste of your time.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
trollnystan said:
I think he was trying to make a point by giving us an example ;)
Of course I figured it always could be, but you never know: when in doubt, nitpick away. That way people need to prove themselves as being in the right and thereby argumenting intelligently that that's the case if they want to be in the clear.
I concede it's a little Guantanamo Bay-ish, but it is effective and the most important distinction: no physical torture needed.

Edit: Incidentally, I'm enjoying what you've written, but I don't have time right now to read all of it. (Lovin' the irony of writting "MMO" in that sentence though, cause you know what a pain that is to explain online to non-gamers.)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
The "I could care less" one annoys the fuck out of me. I wouldn't mind so much, but it's not even a spelling mistake, it's just people being thick, it's the complete opposite of what you actually mean, yet people do it constantly. It's "I Could'NT care less." I know it's amazingly hard to realise this, but "I COULD care less" implies that you...could care less. Which means that you care to a certain degree. You don't say "I could do that" when you actually mean "I couldn't do that", so why the hell do people find it so difficult to get around this very simple linguistic difference between could and couldn't? Raaghhh!

On the spelling front I'm not really too fussed, people make mistakes and whatnot, but if you're typing a sentence that is like: "tht wuz a gr8 movie wnt 2 da moive 2 c transformers 3 lyked da bit wr Shia la bouf diz lol" That you're just a moron. Especially if people take the piss out of you for typing properly, when it's sure as hell more efficient than typing like that, and I will always be able to type faster than they ever will, even with their crappy short hand, and some words are the same length but spelled differently, like "wuz" how the fuck does that save you time?

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
No it doesn't bother me, I quite like seeing other people spell words incorrectly because I then know that my spelling is superior.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
Not so much the spelling as people can make mistakes. But more or less the readability of text, and the usage of words. For instance one large block of text, or lots of sentences with strange usage of punctuation, or maybe words where they don't belong or make sense. All of this contributes to readability.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
I find it ironic how you say "lazy mistakes like mistaking there for theyre."
APOSTROPHE'D.
I think that replies the poll, too.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm bad at getting jokes. Sorry. Anyhow, it bothers me a little bit. If it's readable, I'm fine with it, but usually, it isn't. Especially not if you use a random amount of periods to make it seem like you're taking a pause.
You know, like "and then i went to the car............ and sat in the car.........." and so on.

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
Dislexia here, so I'm biased.

As long as the post is readable I can't say I'm bothered by poor spelling or grammar.

jopomeister

Apr 7, 2010
It annoys the hell outta me.
Now, I don't mean everything has to be perfect and grammatically amazing, as I think is clear with that fact I said "outta", but when I see someone who "typs al laik dis" I want to burn them and their family alive.
Too much?

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Bugs me a little, certainly, but saying anything about it seems rude, so I keep quiet.

Intentionally u5iNG t3RRiblue spe11EENG, on the other hand, is considerably worse.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Seeing how my spellings and punctuations are bad I don't hold it against other for bad spellings. After all we do make mistake unless they are unware of the mistake for a really long time if it was on a profession website.

Sad Face

Oct 29, 2010
What I care most about is coherency, which honestly is affected by typos and grammatical errors. Typos are typos, but if I can't understand what you're trying to say and the only reason is that you couldn't care enough to type real English. Honestly, take a minute to read what you've written.

The obvious exception to this is anyone who doesn't actually speak English.

pln9fos

Mar 17, 2010
Man, I can't stand bad spelling or bad grammar, especially when it comes to doing role-plays. I actually find myself covertly going back in the role-plays and editing the posts so that they look better if I can get away with it. =P

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I find that I don't mind it if people spell like they're 5 years old, but I just can't stand any spelling mistakes in my posts!

...although I'm not so keen on my use of punctuation...

Sep 14, 2009
Assonabum said:
As long as I can understand what they're trying to say without much effort, I don't mind.
just about this, if i can understand the point you are trying to get across, then it doesn't bug me really at all, all language is constantly changing/is whatever we make it, so getting super anal over everything just isn't worth it.

although when people go into "ghetto mode" as me and my friends refer to it:

$|-|1+ MUh d00d W3 b0u$+ +0 Make M0n3y$$$$$ B0u+ D3m H035555

that is fucking ridiculously annoying and i want to punch everyone who types like that in the fucking face.

Sep 14, 2009
jopomeister said:
It annoys the hell outta me.
Now, I don't mean everything has to be perfect and grammatically amazing, as I think is clear with that fact I said "outta", but when I see someone who "typs al laik dis" I want to burn them and their family alive.
Too much?

Bison and I agree with you completely and I'm glad there are other people out there ready to get their lynching ropes ready for this.