Poll: Does Hatred actually look like a good game?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I've got several isometric action shooters already that will do what this game does already without the stomach churning pseudo controversial BS this game latched on to for free marketing.

I'm not making a moral stance, but i am not going to even look into this thing any further as it is in reality not seeming to bring anything new to the table.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
SquallTheBlade said:
I actually have a friend who said that everything not aimed at him is wasted resources. That's why he hates anything "casual". He says that those resources could have been used to make a game that he likes. I guess you share similar kind of mind set?
Nah, I'm fine as long as people don't make absolute garbage.

This looks like it.

I have enough games as it is regardless. More is always nice, but I wouldn't expect anything good to come out of this developer.

Sarge034 said:
And I ask the important question again. Why do you feel the need to attack those who enjoy different things than you?
Because they enjoy trash?

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Mutant1988 said:
SquallTheBlade said:
I actually have a friend who said that everything not aimed at him is wasted resources. That's why he hates anything "casual". He says that those resources could have been used to make a game that he likes. I guess you share similar kind of mind set?
Nah, I'm fine as long as people don't make absolute garbage.

This looks like it.

I have enough games as it is regardless. More is always nice, but I wouldn't expect anything good to come out of this developer.

Sarge034 said:
And I ask the important question again. Why do you feel the need to attack those who enjoy different things than you?
Because they enjoy trash?
Can you explain this a bit more? What exactly is wrong with enjoying "trash"?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It looks a lot like Postal 1, both in the gameplay and the controversy really.

I did quite enjoy Postal 1 back in that day and age, it had some really unique ways to interact with the environment that other games back then rarily had. I have quite fond memories of playing it as a kid, and I can assure everyone that I'm quite the pacifist today.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
SquallTheBlade said:
If people buy trash, then more trash is made. When it's controversy invoking half assed garbage like this game looks like, then I'd rather not see a trend of games that are as lazy, "edgy" and blatantly attention seeking like this. But then again, any developer that would make such a game wouldn't amount to much anyway, so I guess there's that.

But have fun playing with your trash, if that's what you like.

I'm sure your enjoyment will have nothing to do with how thoroughly messed up the premise is. I'm sure you all want to play a nice isometric shooter and not just be able to say - "Hey, look at this violence! Don't like it? Tough, it's just a vidya gaem!" to score relevance points in the engineered and intentional outrage this game is designed to spark.

The developers will laugh all the way to the bank, I'm sure.

I fail to see any merit to the premise, as it's presented at this moment and the game itself looks like a by the numbers isometric shooter with in lazy monochrome (That makes it art, right?). It's like a love letter to misanthropy and mediocrity.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Not really. I can ignore the controversy but I can't ignore the theme which is going around killing random bystanders as a primary goal.

Not only that I don't really care much for shooter sandboxes and this just looks like your run of the mill variety. It simply looks like a better than average Steam indie game. It's not really bringing anything new to the table.

If it weren't for the controversy it wouldn't of gotten even a cursory glance from me on the storefront

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Mutant1988 said:
"American sniper" is an oscar-winning, misplaced nationalist tribute to a retarded psychopath in my opinion. Similar to how the "Dirty Harry" films by Eastwood were entirely pieces of trash from an ethical perspective. That doesn't take away that they are very well made films for what they are.

One does not need to agree or enjoy the narrative to respect the gameplay or the form the game is represented in.

Whether or not the latter is the case, is to be awaited.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Fantasies of shooting up schools, cops and civilians don't really appeal to me.

Heeeey...

Maybe this game is a clever ploy by the NSA to devise a list of edgy young gamers who enjoy the notion of donning a trenchcoat and going on a shooting spree?

:p

Calm down, I'm joking.

vast-enemy

Feb 13, 2015
It looks like an interesting game, I particularly like the isometric view point. Like an upgraded version of "Postal". I imagine it'll be fun for awhile.

The controversy surrounding the game-play, seems to me, to be totally disingenuous.
As though violence against any demographic is only acceptable in mainstream Triple A titles. Or when the narrative provides a proper justification or motivation for murder and genocide.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Mutant1988 said:
SquallTheBlade said:
If people buy trash, then more trash is made.
If people buy things they enjoy, then more these things will be made. how is this a bad thing again? Is it because it's not catering to your needs?

When it's controversy invoking half assed garbage like this game looks like, then I'd rather not see a trend of games that are as lazy, "edgy" and blatantly attention seeking like this. But then again, any developer that would make such a game wouldn't amount to much anyway, so I guess there's that.
It's a trend that you don't like. You know what people usually do when there are things they don't like? they don't buy them or have anything to do with them. They don't go around calling other people trash just because they enjoy something.

Like I said earlier I'm not planning to buy this. Isometric shooters aren't my thing.

I'm sure your enjoyment will have nothing to do with how thoroughly messed up the premise is.
Premise of Saw movies is messed up to me. I still don't go around calling other people trash because they enjoy them. I just don't watch them. Something being messed up doesn't mean you can call other people trash for enjoying it.

I'm sure you all want to play a nice isometric shooter and not just be able to say - "Hey, look at this violence! Don't like it? Tough, it's just a vidya gaem!" to score relevance points in the engineered and intentional outrage this game is designed to spark.
The thing is. There shouldn't be any outrage. It's fiction. And this kind of fiction has been made fro time and time again. It's nothing new and people still flip out.

The developers will laugh all the way to the bank, I'm sure.
Well good for them.

I fail to see any merit to the premise, as it's presented at this moment and the game itself looks like a by the numbers isometric shooter with in lazy monochrome (That makes it art, right?). It's like a love letter to misanthropy and mediocrity.
Maybe you don't see any merit in the premise just like I don't see any in Saw movies but there still are people who do see it.

Rasha M

Feb 24, 2015
The game doesn't appeal to me, but so what? I think adults have a right to buy and play it. It's just so crazy over the top that I don't take it seriously. If someone else thinks it's fun, OK.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
No.

Aside from it being clearly made for people who I normally don't like to game with, I think the game looks boring.
I mean put aside the #edgy shock-value and you've got what so far seems to be a run-of the mill top-down shooter.

Unless it's $5 or less, it will cost far too much for me ever to consider it.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
SquallTheBlade said:
The thing is. There shouldn't be any outrage. It's fiction. And this kind of fiction has been made fro time and time again. It's nothing new and people still flip out.
Define people. Because I strongly believe that the developers intentionally made this to enable others to piss those people off. And I can't support that sentiment and I think less of anyone that does. If this was satire? Eh, Postal and GTA already did that. What's new here, really?

SquallTheBlade said:
Maybe you don't see any merit in the premise just like I don't see any in Saw movies but there still are people who do see it.
You seem to think my resentment stems from outrage. That's not the case.

The first two SAW movies were pretty good anyway. Haven't seen the sequels, but heard that they were garbage.

Honestly though, I've made my stance very clear and if you can't stand me disliking anyone that buys this garbage then tough. Life is unfair.

SquallTheBlade said:
They don't go around calling other people trash just because they enjoy something.
Did I? Or do you just believe I've called people trash? Stupid and shallow maybe. Or did you infer that from the "You are what you eat comment?". Well, there you go. If you want to feel offended be my guest.

By the way, you really went out of your way to be offended by some random internet people calling you mean things. Might want to have a think about that.

Like, consider how annoying it would be if it turned out I intentionally tried to offend you. Would you think less of me? Probably. But the developers of Hatred get a pass, right? I'm not allowed to think less of them for making shallow attention seeking garbage to pander to equally shallow and attention seeking players.

But sure, I must be missing something and Hatred really isn't the garbage it looks like.

Krai

Jul 30, 2013
The reason this game bothers me is that the controversy that it is going to generate doesn't seem worth the game. I don't want to have to justify this game to people. At some point in the future some stupid news organization is going to decide that Hatred somehow caused some violence. I do not believe that video games cause violence as a rule, and I'm willing to defend that rule without exception. This game makes that harder to do. Probably video games are safe from full scale censorship at this point, but there are a lot of organizations that want scapegoats for tragedies and video games are a go to for these people. Hatred makes the "video games make people violent" argument seem less absurd to outside observers.

All of that crap for an isometric shooter doesn't feel worthwhile.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Iwata said:
Fantasies of shooting up schools, cops and civilians don't really appeal to me.

Heeeey...

Maybe this game is a clever ploy by the NSA to devise a list of edgy young gamers who enjoy the notion of donning a trenchcoat and going on a shooting spree?

:p

Calm down, I'm joking.
While that would be funny, I think such an idea puts too much faith into the NSA to pull something like this. Though they might make a list of people who buy the game.

On topic, thought exercise; Everything about Hatred is the same, but you'd be mowing down zombies, aliens, nazis. Would it look like a good game then?

My thought, no. Looks really simple as a twin stick shooter though the destruction elements look well done.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Mutant1988 said:
Define people. Because I strongly believe that the developers intentionally made this to enable others to piss those people off. And I can't support that sentiment and I think less of anyone that does. If this was satire? Eh, Postal and GTA already did that. What's new here, really?
Indeed. There isn't anything new so why so much hate for this game.

Honestly though, I've made my stance very clear and if you can't stand me disliking anyone that buys this garbage then tough. Life is unfair.
I can stand it just fine. But I'm just curious WHY you have this kind of view on the subject because it seems so irrational.

Did I? Or do you just believe I've called people trash? Stupid and shallow maybe. Or did you infer that from the "You are what you eat comment?". Well, there you go. If you want to feel offended be my guest.
You said these

It looks like a game made by controversy invoking dipshits for controversy invoking dipshits. It's "edgy" masturbation material for juvenile morons.
I will keep calling it and the people that support it "stupid", because I think they and the game are incredibly shallow, appealing or being appealed by the novelty of it being "edgy" and seemingly nothing else.
Dipshits, morons, stupid. For literally liking something you don't like. I'm not offended though. You are allowed to have opinion of people. But I'm just curious why you have this opinion.

By the way, you really went out of your way to be offended by some random internet people calling you mean things. Might want to have a think about that.
I'm away from my apartment for a week so this is just a way to pass time. I was never offended.

Like, consider how annoying it would be if it turned out I intentionally tried to offend you. Would you think less of me? Probably.
No I wouldn't. Why would I think less of you and why would it be annoying? You can still have interesting conversations with someone like that. There is no reason to get offended.

But the developers of Hatred get a pass, right? I'm not allowed to think less of them for making shallow attention seeking garbage to pander to equally shallow and attention seeking players.
They are just making a game. I don't think they are trying to offend anyone. And even if they were, who cares? Why get offended by something like this in the first place?

And what's with the "shallowness"? Why must everything be oh so deep all the time? Maybe you just don't like shallow things.

But sure, I must be missing something and Hatred really isn't the garbage it looks like.
It might look garbage to you and that's fine. But it's not fine to insult others for thinking it looks good.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
There is a difference between "looking like a good game" and "looking like a game I would purchase". In the former: maybe, if the gameplay has something more than being an average top-down shooter with close-up execution scenes, and it's free of glitches. In the later, no. I know my tastes, and this looks like something I wouldn't enjoy (unless a LP video convinces me otherwise).

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
SquallTheBlade said:
It might look garbage to you and that's fine. But it's not fine to insult others for thinking it looks good.
Well, that's, like... Your opinion. I think anyone that likes this garbage have an intelligence deficiency. Or astonishingly poor taste. Or both.

As for my description of the target audience. Well, that's who I think this was made by and is made for. If you're not the target audience, as I see it, then feel free not to cry me a river for saying mean words.

So did you really just spend pages of replies playing a devils advocate with no personal investment whatsoever? Because that does seem like a grand waste of time. But I see you're just trying to play aloof to lend credence to your "critique" of the way I express my views.

You don't care either way, you just want to tell me how to properly "discuss", right?

News for you - You won't be convincing me of anything. If anything, you cement my views on the target audience by continually not discussing the merits of the game, as it has been shown, rather than whatever you imagine based on the "concept" of the game.

It has destructible environments and monochrome graphics - Aside that, it's bog standard isometric shooter. What is so great about it? Or what is about it, at all, except for the engineered controversy invocation?

You're distracted from the conversation by how mean I am? Too bad. But rather than, you know, ignore or report it (I've told you to do that even, if you think I'm breaking any rules) it turned into pages on a tangent about civility. Get over it.

MerlinCross said:
On topic, thought exercise; Everything about Hatred is the same, but you'd be mowing down zombies, aliens, nazis. Would it look like a good game then?

My thought, no. Looks really simple as a twin stick shooter though the destruction elements look well done.
With that protagonist and that monochrome graphics? Not really. It looks generic as all hell and without the "controversy" it would literally have nothing going for it.

Except for destructive environments. Because that has never been in any game ever, right?

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
SquallTheBlade said:
Mutant1988 said:
*very long snip of telling people they can't enjoy things*

I have a reason for disliking people, is what I'm getting at.
You have a reason for disliking people because they ENJOY something? I really can't comprehend this. I mean I would understand if these people who you dislike did something to you but they are not. They are just liking things that you don't like. Why all the hatred towards these people?

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't have to care about games that aren't aimed at me but I accepted that games are made for others and never hated on them.

I do get annoyed at the idea that people think I should care about diversity or female representation, silly concepts when at the end of the day if they put out a 100 shooters with female protags the people who want them in RPG's will not give a sh*t, only the people who want diversity but never play games will care. People want what they as an individual want.