Poll: Does music add to the atmosphere?

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
I have been gaming for quite awhile and every so often there will be a certain scene or segment of the game that really can creep me out but then the music just adds to the fear or the action and I was curious if anyone else felt the same way. You can add games as well or even mention a scene that got you going. I don't know if mentioning a certain scene would cause spoilers so hopefully people will add spoilers when needed.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Music is really important as an atmosphere-builder, IMO. A big part of how well a game ages is music, because that doesn't scale with technology quite as much as graphics.

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
I think not only the music in the game, but also music used in the advertisements for them. 2 examples are the Dead Island trailer and the Gears of War 2 trailer (used the song How This Will End from Devotchka).

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
Oh my, yes.
I can't help feel Deus Ex: Human Revolution would not have been quite as big a hit if the exquisite, near-omnipresent soundtrack hadn't been tickling my eardrums. I wish I could pin down the genre, but the best I can come up with is that it has an "industrial" sound to it, and ye flipping gods, it fits only too perfectly.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent, while it doesn't have the omnipresent soundtrack, has... well, anybody who has played or even watched someone play it knows the (air-quote) music (air-quote) swells at all the right times. Amnesia is now legendary for being pants-soiling scary, with no small thanks to the soundtrack.
And of course, ladies and gentlemen: Bioshock. Putting the feel-good old-timey music against the not-so-happy setting makes for a dissonance that sets the player on edge. Whether the player realizes it or not, by being set on edge like this, they're focusing even harder on the game, taking in every bit of the environment, if only so they don't miss the slightest movement that hints at rabid mooks.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
In many cases, yes. But I think it's important to note that this is not ALWAYS the case. There are a great many games that have sparse, or simply unmemorable soundtracks that build atmosphere in spite of them.

Demons and Dark Souls come to mind. They barely have any soundtrack at all, only really playing in a few specific places (boss fights, mostly). And the songs that play are, for the most part, fairly forgettable. To the point that I actually find myself preferring the silence, as it builds ambience better than the soundtrack does.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Certainly the musical score from Mass Effect 3 was absurdly effective. So much so I put the sound track on my MP3 player.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Xannidel said:
I have been gaming for quite awhile and every so often there will be a certain scene or segment of the game that really can creep me out but then the music just adds to the fear or the action and I was curious if anyone else felt the same way. You can add games as well or even mention a scene that got you going. I don't know if mentioning a certain scene would cause spoilers so hopefully people will add spoilers when needed.
I remember seeing this video of an alligator walking towards a camera with sinister and scary sounding music playing. Then the same clip is shown again with some funny, jolly, and happy sounding music. It completely changed how the video was interpreted. Same video with different music triggered completely different emotions.

Darksteel Mike

Mar 23, 2011
Absolutely, but lack of music also builds tremendous atmosphere at the right times (Condemned, as rightly pointed out).

Also, replaying games with other music in the background can add it's share as well. I was replaying Arkham City to 100% it with a playlist on in the background and Miracle of Sound's "Joker's Song" (what else?) popped up during the first Joker encounter in the Steel Mill. Chills,man, CHILLS.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Heh, I'd almost say that that's a really silly question, but I ain't no jerk.

But of course it does! Just listen to this:

*shudder*

It's hard to explain why though, without stating the obvious. We're just a very audio-visual species.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
If done well always, changing the music can completely change a scene. Both of these songs are used as the world map music in a game, and as the story progresses the tone changes and having the change in music enforces it. Everything that game does manipulates your emotions.

I also consider silence just as important as any song, and a bad soundtrack can take away from the atmosphere.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
It is extremely important IMO - one of the most important things in a game's atmosphere is the music. If done poorly, it can ruin it - but if done well, it can contribute a huge amount to it.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
A game's sound design is critical for to develop a sense of atmosphere, and that includes silence.

Music is only part of the equation, if easily the most recognizable part. A fast-paced tune can give a sense of urgency or desperation to a situation, a slow one can impart sadness & despair, crescendos and decrescendos (rising and falling rhythms respectively) can reflect how the player is supposed to be feeling (hopeful or depressed, respectively). Moments where concentration are needed can have subtle consistent beats. Another common trick is for the music to be dissonant to the situation (the lyrics don't have to match the rhythm either), which makes the scene which uses it all the more poignant; comedy is seldom used for this, but certainly despair & horror make good use of the technique.

Sound design plays a huge role in any atmospheric game, as it helps create and maintain that sensation; music is just the most common tool for doing so.

---

But yes, atmospheric sound design goes beyond just music; sound effects, to convey what's going on, can play a surprisingly large role. Footsteps (be it belonging to the player or NPCs), voice work, anything. Screams & shrieks are very common tools for atmospheric games, which almost always raise the tension or suspence of a scene; except when clearly used for comedy (i.e.: big guy screams like a little girl), they're innately horrific and/or terrifying and say something bad has happened.

Which brings me to the role of silence. If you pay close attention, you may realize that the real world is seldom truly silent. When things go deathly quite, especially if for longer than a couple of seconds (a "beat"), people start to get nervous very quickly. Either it means you're alone (and because humans are innately social beings, not a pleasant sensation for most)... or something's very wrong (particularly when things should not be completely silent).

Dark Souls is a game without a lot of music, but there's no question it has some outstanding sound design where silence plays a strong role. The lack of music heavily implies that you're alone in the game, and most of the time the only sounds are that of movement. It also forces you to concentrate on the task at hand; there's no music to distract you when you move through the world, meaning you'll notice the moment something changes. Music is used for boss fights, and is clearly used to convey the surrounding circumstances rather than the pace of the battle; dissonance is used at least twice (including the final boss battle), slow and somewhat sad music for two notably quick-moving bosses.

---

Music, as a general rule, adds to a game's atmosphere. However, it would be more accurate to say that great sound design always adds to a game's atmosphere; music is a part of that, and it's absence is just as vital as it's presence.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I don't see how there would even be any dispute over this point. It obviously does. It's even been proven by science. [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220279p1.html]

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Definitely, as long as it isn't mind numbing. A soundtrack can make or break a game. One thing I never get tired of is the background music on Mario. :p (Also, there's something about playing Fallout 3, absolutely slaughtering ghouls with lincoln's repeater as "I don't wanna set the world on fire" plays from your Pipboy)

On a similar note, I find it hard to play New Vegas without the radio on because it's so ominous I feel like I'm being followed by a serial killer or something

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Spartan1362 said:
I picked 'yes' but I think that there should be a 'no' option.
Well to be fair I am sure there is someone who could care less about the music and is just so into the gameplay that they could play their own music instead of the in game music and not even notice the difference. To be fair I used to do that when I played WoW years ago.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, but not only that, I know that it can directly influence my mood when it is designed to. Music just in the background does add to atmosphere (this is sound and lack thereof that I'm talking about), but certain music has serious effects. I mean, look at the Monster Hunter theme song, for example. Case in point.