Poll: Does New Game+ make the game?

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Topic

Does New Game+ make the game for you? Or at least does it change the way you look at a video game?

Personally, I love it. It's fun to be overpowered

EDIT: Ok, and if you could implement New Game+ into a game, what game would it be?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont like an explicit New Game + much. I prefer either the game is open enough to just keep going (Oblivion) or if its something like Dead Rising where it is not some sperate mode.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
It leads to some funny moments.
Like killing a boss that it meant to be unbeatable.
<youtube=V-nu6TPGAPE>
EDIT: Well, not killing but getting down to 0 health and getting bonus dialog.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Depends on the game. Most NIS games, for example, would be terrible without New Game+.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Love it. I really do.

It makes it fun to go back and summon hellfire on the same rats that gave you trouble back at the start.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
It really depends on the game. If implemented well, it can be a great incentive to replay the game. The increased power and abilities can lead to new gameplay possibilities, or open new paths. But the game must be capable of it, meaning no arbitrary level cap (it is no fun to play as a fully maxed character with no skill improvement capabilities) and some scaling so there remains a challenge.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Honestly, it's something I never think about when I'm judging a game.

the spud

May 2, 2011
It can be some fun, but I would hardly say it makes or breaks a game.

It is fun to absolutely demolish some low level zombies that gave you trouble 20 levels ago.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
It kinda depends if there is a REASON to go back with your overpowered characters; I mean, if the game is so linear that there's only 1 thing to do- i.e. the storyline, then there's really nothing new to see by playing again. Games like, say, Disgaea that have multiple endings, some of which are near-impossible to do the first time through due to the ridiculous level of opponents you gotta beat to get said ending, like the item god ending in Disgaea 1 and such.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nope. Far from it.

Being overpowered is boring. I might as well just use cheats. And the actual content will be the same.

New Game+ basically adds +0 to game's value for me. It's not a bad thing, but it doesn't make me like the game any more.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Sandbox games all need New Game + if they have an XP mechanic or levelling-up. Prototype did it well, it was fun to be able to do more missions with more powers. Some games are just wasted if you only get the best abilities just before the game ends.

Ratchet & Clank (1) for PS2 was awesome fun in NG+. It was how I got the R.Y.N.O and you need to play NG+ to unlock the Gold Weapons Store.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Zhukov said:
Nope. Far from it.

Being overpowered is boring. I might as well just use cheats. And the actual content will be the same.

New Game+ basically adds +0 to game's value for me. It's not a bad thing, but it doesn't make me like the game any more.
Even if it means, you go back to square one, with all of your abilities, skills, weapons, but the world scale accordingly? Monsters get tougher, loot get better ... as in ... Diablo style of difficulty?

Personally, I wished more game had New Game+.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
its good in RPGs and the like because some dont have a post final boss mode. i guess it doesnt "make" a game for me but it is a welcome addition

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
cainx10a said:
Zhukov said:
Nope. Far from it.

Even if it means, you go back to square one, with all of your abilities, skills, weapons, but the world scale accordingly? Monsters get tougher, loot get better ... as in ... Diablo style of difficulty?

Personally, I wished more game had New Game+.
If the world scales with you then what's the point? Your relative power will be the same. The numbers will just be bigger, and I really don't share the RPG crowd's enthusiasm for big numbers.

squeekenator

Dec 23, 2008
It's fun for two minutes before I get bored of one-shotting everything, but I can't truly enjoy a game that doesn't challenge me.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Zhukov said:
If the world scales with you then what's the point? Your relative power will be the same. The numbers will just be bigger, and I really don't share the RPG crowd's enthusiasm for big numbers.
You can build up different skills, higher levels of magic attacks, or level up some companions to see what skills they have if you barely used them the first game around.
Tackle some optional bosses, etc..

Obviously not all games work with a New Game + mechanic, but in games as different as Mass Effect 2 and The Last Remnant I felt it really added something.

Josh Horton

Apr 6, 2011
I think Borderlands kinda had the right idea with the level scaling with NG+, but it only goes up to a certain point in certain areas so you'll be level 50+ fighting lvl 20-40 for the first hour or two