Poll: Does perfection exist ?

Wado Rhyu

May 19, 2010
i want to know your thought on the qeustion: does perfection exist and why.

my idea is that it doesn't exist because ppl them self aren't perfect and for that reason can make it.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Perfection is subjective, so short answer...no. What is perfect in ones eyes, is flawed in anothers

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Zac Smith said:
Perfection is subjective, so short answer...no. What is perfect in ones eyes, is flawed in anothers
So on a personaly level yes.
On a whole level everyone included no

Sir Broccoli

Sep 17, 2008
Depends on the subject at hand.
If you ask the question "What is 2+2" then the one perfect answer to that is 4.
If there is any kind of opinion involved then perfection doesn't really exist (though one could definitely make the point that something could be perfect for one person but not for another. In that case it all depends on your definition of perfection.)

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
aba1 said:
Zac Smith said:
So on a personaly level yes.
On a whole level everyone included no
When you put it that way, then yes, I suppose you are right in that regard

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
That really depends on how you want the question answered, because it depends on:

1. Your definition of 'perfect'
2. Your definition of 'perfection'[footnote]Depending on school of philosophy objective state of perfection =/= a perfect object.[/footnote]
3. To what are the terms 'perfect'/'perfection' applied
4. Scale upon which the terms 'perfect'/'perfection' are applied
5. Whether you're discussing 'material' perfection or 'essence' perfection
6. Mathematical intent (because as far as some people are concerned, everything in mathematics is perfect)

*shrug* *slinks away to learn how to count*

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
Yes, perfection exists, and it's name is Martin Scorsese.

In all seriousness, no one is perfect. We all have flaws, and that's what makes us so interesting and unique. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Who is "perfect" for you? But if you are defining perfect as being without flaws, then no. No one is perfect, and no one will ever be perfect.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
It exists as an ideal. This ideal is impossible to achieve simply because it is so subjective.

The Matrix (of all things) had a pretty interesting take on this: there was a "Perfect World" where there was no crime, no poverty, no hunger...and yet people rejected it. People needed an imperfect world in order to strive to make things better. Maybe that's where human perfection lies, in the constant need to improve.

Also, and this may be a little shocking, but an episode of Duckman title "Gripes of Wrath" had a similar take on this as well. There was a supercomputer which created a perfect world. But Duckman couldn't stand it. He said, " You made things worse when you made them better! I mean, I liked having a lot of free time, but I hated not having anything to do. Don't you see, things were good when they were bad, and they got bad when they were good. People aren't happy unless they're unhappy. " Why I remember this, I have no idea...and this has to be the first time anyone has brought up Duckman for a philosophical topic.

Anywho, it does not exist in the physical world because it cannot exist. The same reason infinity cannot exist in the real world (impossibly big may be close enough for most people) because it is an ideal. However, it DOES exist in the minds of men (and women). So does that make it real?

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
No, perfection doesn't exist. It is an ideal that can never be reached but should try to be reached regardless of it's impossibility. It is pretty much a constantly moving goalpost.

Also, to paraphrase somebody earlier in this thread: perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Sir Broccoli said:
If there is any kind of opinion involved then perfection doesn't really exist.
Not necessarily. If you have an object that consists of several elements that can each be objectively evaluated, that object can be objectively perfect, but people can have different opinions about the relative worth/value/merit of imperfect instances because they can assign different priorities to the sub elements.

Take a school report card for instance. Some people will think language is more important than math, and vice versa, so they will have different opinions on what report cards are better than others. However, the perfect report card does exist. It's the one where all grades are the highest possible.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
On any definitive context, like getting the maximum hundred points in a score-based game or a sport: Yes

On any subjective/abstract context, like the qualities of a person, or the taste of a certain food: No

johnstamos

May 17, 2011
Zac Smith said:
this.
just like good and evil and bumload of other stuff

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Yes. For example: trees, oceans, galaxies, atoms, chocolate chip cookies.