Poll: Does pirating a game to test it make it okay?

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
My answer is no.

Reason being, you can do due diligence before buying the software, or try downloading a demo. If neither of those options work, you dont buy it. Idea being, that in the future companies will make demos/etc available.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
So long as you're sincere when you say you'll delete it, then yes. I'll even admit to doing this in the past (though it's been several years since the last time). This is kind of the only real choice you have when the system requirements seem muddy.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
If you count in all the game reviewers that take pay-offs and gifts to color their opinions of the games that they're reviewing and the corrupt game review websites, like Gamespot, who abuse the trust the gaming community put in them to give them honest reviews? Then Yes, utterly and completely. Commercial media has shown us time and again that they cannot be trust with something as simple as telling us how decent a god damn game is. So what else is left? What are we going to do? Leave it to the people that WE ALREADY KNOW LIE TO US?

Abridged version: Yeah, it's fine, media liars have spoiled the pot for everyone, making pirating our only logical solution for an honest review of a game.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
God the amount of corporate apologists on here is ridiculous.

It is always ok, as long once you see that it works you delete it, and go buy a legit copy.

Demos are not always available, and what's more they are becoming rarer and rarer. A greedy publisher won't want to risk turning people away from their crap product with a free demo, so why would they bother making one? Along with that, most reviews nowadays are bought and paid for, so who the hell can you trust? You could try looking at the user reviews and try and find a legit review amongst all the trolls and fanboys, but good luck with that.

The fact of the matter is that publishers brought this upon themselves with their own greed. If they don't want people to pirate their products for a test then they should release a demo. It might be expensive, but I'm sure they can take some money away from the ridiculous amount marketing gets.

Every other product either lets you have a free trial or will give you a refund if said product doesn't work. Why the hell should games be any different?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Only if you uninstall the game if you dont like it or it doesnt work. If you play it through and enjoy it anyway thats wrong. In this hypothetical its perfectly fine. However in general id say dont do it because you cant expect everyone to be such a saint. Having a product in your hands that you love already and THEN being asked to pay for it pretty please out of charity is hard for some people. Some would justify taking the product forever and never paying at all. In the OPs question though he says to use it like a demo. Yes. That IS ok. Assuming the person doing it is a strictly moral person who will opt to do whats right.

The BEST scenario is to have ALL games have demos. I hate the culture of "pre ordering". Seriously. A culture where the salesman gets to sell you a mystery box based on teasers and trailers to rake in money is a silly one. Know whats in the box first. At least kick starter is upfront about the fact youre never gonna be sure EXACTLY whats in the box.

cloudwolf616

Jul 22, 2009
Country
Ireland
Ok so downloading the game for free apart for the legal stuff is not right but if you buy the game and find out it doesnt work will Steam give you a refund or turn you away?

Ive never had to ask for a refund for a game online so i dont know but i imagine under law they have to refund you if it doesnt work right?

oh and sorry if someone already answered this question there are alot of comments on this thread lol

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Cloudwolf616 said:
Ok so downloading the game for free apart for the legal stuff is not right but if you buy the game and find out it doesnt work will Steam give you a refund or turn you away?

Ive never had to ask for a refund for a game online so i dont know but i imagine under law they have to refund you if it doesnt work right?

oh and sorry if someone already answered this question there are alot of comments on this thread lol
Steam barely ever refunds. It's in their policy that they do not do refunds. Sometimes they're nice though. My friend got a refund when his GTA IV files were corrupted or something. So no, Steam does not do refunds.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
The way I see things:

Pirating an indie game is pretty much inexcusable considering that the average indie game costs less than $20.

Pirating a game to see if it's worth your time and money before buying is okay for the most part.

Pirating a game from a company that still makes billions annually is pretty much okay, if you ask me. In fact, when it gets to the point that a company is complaining about not making a few extra million while they're already practically rolling around in money, then they're pretty much just asking for people to pirate the shit out of their games out of spite.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Eggsnham said:
The way I see things:

Pirating an indie game is pretty much inexcusable considering that the average indie game costs less than $20.

Pirating a game to see if it's worth your time and money before buying is okay for the most part.

Pirating a game from a company that still makes billions annually is pretty much okay, if you ask me. In fact, when it gets to the point that a company is complaining about not making a few extra million while they're already practically rolling around in money, then they're pretty much just asking for people to pirate the shit out of their games out of spite.
*Cough Ubisoft Cough*

But yes I do agree with your points in most cases. I still think it's somewhat wrong to pirate, despite the company being rich and all. However, when they make an asshole move, then I just think they're asking for it.