Poll: Does the spy class take skill to use?

Crazyjay

Jan 6, 2010
Ive been arguing with my friend for weeks know debating that the spy takes no skill to use. My argument is that spies are allowed to go right behind you and instant kill you because they can backstab. It is an instant 1 hit kill, unless your a sniper with a razorback. The only way the spy can be killed if a teammate sees the spy, and that almost never happens. And after the spy kills you, they can just go invisible so your clueless teammates can't kill them. The only way a person can kill a spy (with some exceptions) is if they see them before they go invisible, run into one, see a teammate acting weirdly, or getting a lucky kill. And if a person does run into them, the spy can always get a lucky face stab to instant kill. My friend still said that they took skill, so i challenged to see who could get a 10 killstreak first, me as a spy or him as a sniper. I got it the first time i tried, and he could not do it after 3 maps. What is your guys opinion of the spy.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Oh it's take skill all right.

When I played I kept getting killed, I think the spy set is hard.

Heavy is easy.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
No skill? What hefty stack of nonsense is this? Against a good team, a spy is damn near impossible to use effectively (that is, backstab more than one person without getting killed).

Not only do you need to know how to effectively un-cloak and assassinate someone, but you need to be able to move like the opposing team when your disguise is up, and know which disguise to use.

EDIT: In fact, f*ck everything I just said, Pyros that W+M1, namely all of them = Toasty Spy.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
You should really say you're talking about TF2 instead of just rambling on.

OT: They take a hell of a lot of skill if the other team knows what they're doing, but they're a hell of a lot of fun as well. The only thing the spy has is the back stab and if that doesn't work, they're pretty much screwed so they have to be very careful

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Spy Class in....?

In Team Fortress 2, the spy takes quite a bit of skill to master. Hell, every class takes SOME skill. Even pyro has strategic uses. (Although we all have yet to see the day where that strategy can outwit the impenetrable w+m1 pyros)

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
I'll tell him what any man with two penises would say when his tailor asks him if he dresses to the left or to the right.
Cookies for getting reference.

Jun 3, 2009
Novania said:
I'll tell him what any man with two penises would say when his tailor asks him if he dresses to the left or to the right.
Yes.

I'm terrible at spy. I'm pretty good elsewhere, but I have never successfully sapped a building. :/

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
The Spy takes heaps of skill to use, or rather, more skill than I have. I have yet to get any form of kill streak as a Spy...

Mind you, I mostly play Medic/Heavy/Soldier/Demo/Pyro...

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Spy takes MAD skills to use. A good pyro will torch almost any teammate, making sneaking rather tough. Plus, the timing needed to get a backstab, and then re-disguise yourself before getting seen is mad hard.

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
Doctor VonSexMachine said:
Novania said:
Yes.

I'm terrible at spy. I'm pretty good elsewhere, but I have never successfully sapped a building. :/
You only get one cookie for answering it, but you didn't name the source....anyhoo!
Here you go my friend!

Erisnas

Sep 10, 2009
yes and no, it really depends on the situation. I will see both sides of it often, the spy that takes several minutes playing a part to get a large multikill and help win the game. I also often see the guy that takes the spy and just uses the cloak and just knifes everything, not even trying to be subtle.

Some spy tactics don't require skill though, randomly knifing hoping for an instant kill or spamming the sap function on a building require no skill.

Actually trying to blend in requires an ever increasing mount of skill.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
There's alot of luck if you're CaD-ing, but there is always alot of skill involved, especially with non-CaD cloaking, and the disguises. Spy is my second most played class after Scout, and my third favourite after Scout and Demoman.

I'm gonna go play TF2 now and get used to my new mods.

Dec 14, 2008
The spy is the hardest class to use. The job of the spy is to infultrate the enemy line, without getting caught, and neutralize it. If you get hit by anything while cloaked and you're screwed, and if someone notices your flamibility you're good as dead. Even if you get near an enemy base (as in a place with teleporters, sentries, and dispencers) you'll have to deal with paranoid engies and trigger happy pyros.

(Read the above in the spy's voice)

If you say this is easy you're either lying or you've never tried.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Spy is extremely easy to play poorly, extremely difficult to play well.

It's rare to see players do well.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
It certainly does take skill.
I couldn't play the spy if my life depended on it.
And I can usually find spy's with a quick spray from SASHA