Poll: Donating blood

Esotera

May 5, 2011
marcooos said:
Esotera said:
They're usually pretty booked up, if you head in uncalled for an appointment in the UK they'll usually turn you away. I get the feeling they don't really have a shortage of people wanting to give blood most of the time, they just operate a just-in-time system in order to cut costs.
Most places have spaces you just have to call up and ask. I'm lucky as the blood van is a 15 minute drive to another of my organisations sites so I can book it through work. But for real just email an search around an im sure you will find somewhere convenient
I've done it before but my point is they don't really need it unless there are shortages, in which case they'll send a letter to me anyway. At least in the UK.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
Esotera said:
marcooos said:
Esotera said:
They're usually pretty booked up, if you head in uncalled for an appointment in the UK they'll usually turn you away. I get the feeling they don't really have a shortage of people wanting to give blood most of the time, they just operate a just-in-time system in order to cut costs.
Most places have spaces you just have to call up and ask. I'm lucky as the blood van is a 15 minute drive to another of my organisations sites so I can book it through work. But for real just email an search around an im sure you will find somewhere convenient
I've done it before but my point is they don't really need it unless there are shortages, in which case they'll send a letter to me anyway. At least in the UK.
They always need blood, do you think what they'll waste it? I'm in the UK as well. Blood is always needed, yes the process could be streamlined and more convenience but hey it wouldnt be considered a good thing to do as a human being if it was easy.

I'm not gonna keep bugging you but consider it geez.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
I would, but since I'm a haemophile, I'm not allowed to give. Which is a bit sad, since in all likelihood I'm going to require blood at some point in the future.

Sep 3, 2011
No everytime i show up they turn me away its been about 2 times now i guess they are too overwhelmed with the numbers of two whole people the last time i showed up, if they won't take my blood i won't give so no i would if i could.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
I would but I have Crohn's and am on some very potent I.V medication that could cause some serious damage to other people got it. However my girlfriend donates, she donated last month before getting a piercing so unfortunately she has to wait another 5 months to give again, but she normally goes every 2-3 months when my University does blood drives

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I haven't donated in a while because of some minor illnesses, but I plan to do again, soon. I've already "collected" over a dozen donation stickers.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
I don't fit into categories. I have an autoimmune condition and the medication i am on is also used as an anti-cancer drug so i can't give blood otherwise i would.

Nb. currently get regular blood tests as well due to my medication

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Not yet. Don't really see an appropriate option. I've been cleared for donation, but they haven't summoned me yet. Don't know if that's also how it works elsewhere, but they send you a letter here with a period of several days you can come in. It depends on how much they need your blood type. I did the physical and my blood got tested, so I'm on their list and waiting. I guess A+ isn't very necessary where I live. It's been a few months.

EDIT: Also, what's the deal with men who have had sex with other men not being allowed to donate ever? I don't get it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
No. Ever since some stupid doctor managed to infect healthy babies with HIV in my town I'm not getting anywhere near a hospital unless I absolutely have to. Not scared of the needles. Scared of incompetent doctors. My blood type is pretty common anyway.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
marcooos said:
No I didn't it's called no. Last time the main cause of nos were gay or fear, illness barely factored in
You also forgot the "I am too fat and unhealthy". I am 1.85m and 90kg, yet my cholesterol was too high and was rejected last time I tried.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I would happily donate blood, I already joined the national organ donation database and would do more if I could. I was told I could not because of health problems and medication, which sucks frankly because I don't think my health would affect it that much and as I understand it the drugs I take would be filtered out when they process the blood into its constituent parts. They can just use the parts of the blood unaffected by medication. When I registered for organ donation they assured me as long as the organs where healthy individually they could be used, they have ways of removing traces of medication before they re-implant them.

So I would give blood but cannot unfortunately, hell I would even consider being a living donor.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
I tried to donate once. they said my vein was too small and there needles was too thick....or something like that. Maybe it was they couldnt find the vein? either way i wasnt allowed to so i couldnt. woe is me.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Still not allowed. I'm on a ten-year ban for... visiting... countries where people burn shit (as in human fecal matter) for their energy needs. I'll start again in 2017, if I pass the screening.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
SwimmingRock said:
EDIT: Also, what's the deal with men who have had sex with other men not being allowed to donate ever? I don't get it.
As far as I have understood the argument:
Doing anal increases the chance of infection by 10 over vaginal.
Doing sex without condoms increases the risk factor by 10.
Gay men have sex more often and with more partners than straight men.
Gay men are more likely to be HIV infected to begin with.
Lowest possible detection after infection is 12 days but 30 days is more normal (and to be completely certain takes longer time).

So you have higher infection risk, rate, and prevalence which leads to smaller windows of risk free blood.

J9ACK9

Mar 10, 2010
What about the "I'm not about to donate blood to organizations that discriminate against gay people" selection?

Is that just the "No" one? Cause' that's the one I'm going with.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
I keep meaning to donate blood, but then I keep not being arsed. I'm starting to feel bad about though, so I probably will soon. My mom used to donate all the time, but apparently there was a time when they thought that she got some disease that meant you couldn't donate anymore, and eventually they confirmed it was a false positive, but the result of that is that now she can't donate blood at all just for having the test being done on record, regardless of result.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have a fun triple whammy of having had gay sex, certain medications barring it, and being a bad stick/having a bad reaction to having blood drawn! Yay me!

I used to donate blood.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I've given over 3 gallons, and I continue to donate any time I'm eligible. O+ blood with an elevated hematocrit (usually around 46-48) thanks to living my whole life a mile above sea level.