Poll: Donating blood

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I'm a spindly, frowny corpse of a man who is afraid of needles, I doubt they'd even want me.

I'd do it in an emergency, of course. If I'm in a submarine and I'm the only one with a usable bloodtype around.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
I donated blood for the first time a few months ago, and found it strangely fun; I knew I was helping hospitalized people, allowed myself to indulge in a bit of inward pride for not freaking/passing out, and got tons of free apple juice and cookies afterwards. So I'm planning on doing it again the next time I get the opportunity.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Donated 3 times now, A positive, never feel light headed or anything afterwards. I kind of wish i could donate more often than every 8 weeks.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
No. I gave blood two weeks ago so it would be too soon to donate again. I will when I can later since I find it relaxing.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
RH O Pos

Common. Universal. Regular.

And I bothered to get an organ donor card. Coz you don't need them if you're dead.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
As of last year I've started donating as often as they'll let me; last time was at the end of last month. There's a donation centre less than 5 minutes from my work and I just use the NHS website to book an appointment in advance.

I like the excuse of donating blood on a day to stuff my face and drink lots to keep my iron up; juice and a teacake afterwards is just gravy. I'm B-, which is one of the rare ones - so I get to feel slightly more smug than would otherwise be allowed.

Oct 2, 2012
Nope I can't! Red Cross told me one of my donations was positive for Hepatitis C and said I can't donate anymore!
Even after I got tested 3 times and all three times came back clean! Still won't let me. Oh well, more people will die from blood loss and it won't be my problem.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Subscriptism said:
Why does it take a whole half hour?
Because they don't just pounce on folks as they cross the threshold and jam needles in them or open the carotid to start siphoning off the claret.

You might have to wait a bit at any stage if they're busy with patients; you have to fill out a questionnaire; you have to have the iron content in your blood tested and answer a few questions from the nurse; they're not going to rush the procedure and invite mistakes and/or panic; and finally it takes some time for the blood to trickle on out of you.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Blood makes me feel really really faint.
Just my blood, funnily enough.
I'm okay with animal blood or other people blood, but mine makes me feel really quite woozy.
I really admire people who give blood, but I'm just too much of a wuss!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'm terrified of needles, so it isn't likely going to happen anytime soon. Plus, I have no idea what my blood type is. And I think they want you to be over a certain weight before they take your blood so that they don't accidentally kill you by taking too much blood (I'm only about 100 lbs.).

Steambroom

Aug 8, 2009
Went donating for the second time on monday.
Since the Red Cross comes by every few months it isn`t too much of an inconvenience,
also I've had no problems whatsoever after losing a pint of blood.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I used to happily donate blood at my last job. And then, the last blood truck I ran into, the attendant sneezed into her hands, didn't wash her hands or wipe them at all, and immediately grabbed a clipboard for me to fill out.

The hell? They didn't even have a .99 cent bottle of hand sanitizer in there. Even a mook like me understands that human blood is the most PERFECT vehicle for the transmittal of pathogen and disease. It contains all the nutrients necessary for nasty bugs to survive outside the human body and that freaking idiot just sneezed into her hands like it was nothing.

Maybe I'll donate again later on. I actually enjoyed the tingling feeling on my lips that you get from the anti-coagulant of the ALYX machine. Sucks too because I'm not scared of needles.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nope, sorry but you going have to convince me more to donate my blood. Heck it took that LOST episode when that character brother died to convince my brother to donate his blood.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Funny you should say that, I got a text from Glasgow donor centre yesterday because they've running low on Oneg and want some of mine. Unfortunately, I'm not in Glasgow right now, but I'll probably donate when I go back, if I remember.

setting_son

Apr 14, 2009
I have low blood pressure and I used to donate but as I fainted on seven of the ten times I've donated, we agreed to knock it on the head. They said they appreciate the effort but they wouldn't want me to be the first donor to die on their premises.

Bit of a pisser really, I'm O negative and they're usually short of that. Particularly here in Glasgow where we can't go five minutes without someone being stabbed in a bus shelter (hyperbole).

Mr. Happy Face

May 8, 2013
It's a no for me, too. I'd gladly give blood, but for various reasons I'm not allowed. Heck, I'm even a slightly rare blood type, so I feel kinda guilty about it. :(

setting_son

Apr 14, 2009
ClockworkPenguin said:
Funny you should say that, I got a text from Glasgow donor centre yesterday because they've running low on Oneg and want some of mine. Unfortunately, I'm not in Glasgow right now, but I'll probably donate when I go back, if I remember.
I get the same texts. I also signed up to that 24 hour donation thing so they phone me a lot too, or rather they used to before my epic run of unconsciousness.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I really don't like needles, which is a pretty shit excuse when compared to "People need the blood or they'll die." Also I'm on a medication so I'm not sure if they'd accept me or not.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
As soon as my cold clears up and the prerequisite "you can't donate because you were sick" buffer runs out I'll sit down and get attacked by a giant mosquito.

That light-headiness feeling after donating is extremely enjoyable.