Poll: Donating blood

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Nope, sorry but you going have to convince me more to donate my blood. Heck it took that LOST episode when that character brother died to convince my brother to donate his blood.
It's about you convincing yourself. As with all charity, you're probably only a small pebble thrown into the river, but many small bits can still make a big difference.

And other than donating money for something, you only give up a little bit of your time and often get some sort of gift (or at least a bit of food to get you back on your feet) back.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
*looks at Red Cross donor card* Oh look. Time to give blood again. Thanks for reminding me. :)

I always try to donate when I can because of how I am. I am naturally a big dude (6' 3", 230 lbs, built like a brick wall *big, not fat*) so it takes very little out of me, to the point that it barely even affects me when I give. Actually, there was one time that they asked to to help with a machine they were testing at my school but they only wanted men and bigger men at that(in case something went wrong, they could better handle it). Interesting machine, it only took the red blood cells (the important part) and pumped the rest of what it drew back in (<-----wierd-ist feeling ever). So yeah, I give blood.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I've donated enough times that I've stopped keeping track of how many times I've donated.
I think I'm at like 12-14 donations.
I'm pretty sure they don't let gay men donate not because they're "Backwards assholes" but because gay men have the highest incidence of STDs. Granted they screen the blood, but I don't think those are 100% accurate, so it's about risk mitigation.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wish there was an "other" option.
I try to do it when I feel up to it, but since I work in a hospital lab someone every week is looking for people to donate blood for one study or another and since I'm a guy in a mostly female field I pretty much get auto volunteered. And after getting poked damn near every week I usually just sigh when the big blood donations come around because I don't feel like having my one or two good veins get poked again. I know it's a bit selfish, but I do donate at least once a year, and I've done plateletpheresis (which I highly encourage if you have the time and want to go the extra step above blood).

I am a bit amused at the people who are afraid of needles, the new butterfly needles are so insanely wimpy, even a person who has been trained a day could stick you without you feeling it. It's one of my biggest gripes when I donate, I just want to tell them to wait a second so I can get a straight needle so we can be done in like 5 minutes instead of 30 because the damn butterfly needles have awful flow.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
You are absolutely right and I feel guilty for having waited so long since my last donation. I've only donated blood 4 times in my life but hey every little bit counts. Plus, I do get competitive about it. My record for filling the bag is 4 min, 51 sec. Must do better next time.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I donate plasma on a twice-weekly basis. I'd give blood, but if I give blood, I can't give plasma for around 6 weeks.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Dead Century said:
I already donate blood regularly. No monetary incentive here in Canada but you do get cookies and juice. My type is also O+
I forgot to ask what my type was last time I donated. Which was also the first time. Just a week ago or so. My school hosts such events so this is the second time this year they've done it, but I simply forgot the first time.
We didn't get cookies, but we got popcorn and oreos and juice.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Deshara said:
I'm not allowed to because the blood of queers may taint good, god-fearing americans and drive them to join me in my evil, satan-worshipping ways.

I still do donate, though. Like, every chance that I reasonably can. I figure if my blood will corrupt those it touches, then I shall SPREAD THE PLAGUE
On the off chance that you're actually serious...please do not donate.
You are doing a disservice to a person who is sick and in need of blood by having a personal ax to grind.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I'm ABrh-, which means they basically go; 'hmmm gee, thanks, nice gesture, your blood's not a whole lot of use tho, don't hurry back'

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Rednog said:
Deshara said:
I'm not allowed to because the blood of queers may taint good, god-fearing americans and drive them to join me in my evil, satan-worshipping ways.

I still do donate, though. Like, every chance that I reasonably can. I figure if my blood will corrupt those it touches, then I shall SPREAD THE PLAGUE
You are doing a disservice to a person who is sick and in need of blood by having a personal ax to grind.
They test donated blood regardless of what you answer on the questionnaire. But I think he's just goofing around.
Quazimofo said:
Dead Century said:
I already donate blood regularly. No monetary incentive here in Canada but you do get cookies and juice. My type is also O+
I forgot to ask what my type was last time I donated. Which was also the first time. Just a week ago or so. My school hosts such events so this is the second time this year they've done it, but I simply forgot the first time.
We didn't get cookies, but we got popcorn and oreos and juice.
Good man. You could always get a donor card if you're interested in being a regular blood giver. That way you can have your type printed on a snazzy piece of plastic.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
I don't donate blood they much they prefer my Platelets cause I have lots of them. I do so every 2 weeks, its awesome they have TV's with your own DVD player so bring a movie and sit back and relax

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Dead Century said:
Rednog said:
Deshara said:

They test donated blood regardless of what you answer on the questionnaire. But I think he's just goofing around.
Very well aware that they test the blood, just as a person who works in the industry I have to say it. There's always the chance of something slipping through there's just so many factors. Not only due to human error, but mechanical and just the fact that no test is 100% accurate. It astonished me when I first learned that there are such things as false positives, false negatives, and interfering substances to worry about when it comes to testing in a medical lab and they are all very real worries.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I do generally, but I'm living in Asia now and when I return to the States, I believe I'll have to wait for three years before I can donate again (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
I can't. I was diagnosed several years ago with a contagion that disqualifies me for life. Thankfully this means I also didn't accidentally pass it on to others due to my fear of needles.

A noble goal though and I applaud anyone who does volunteer.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
mokes310 said:
I do generally, but I'm living in Asia now and when I return to the States, I believe I'll have to wait for three years before I can donate again (correct me if I'm wrong, please).
Depends on what part of Asia you are in. What blood centers are primarily looking for when they question travel/residence in other areas is malaria. If the area you are in has no risk of malaria, you will most likely be able to give. There are
other factors of course, but that is the big one.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Rednog said:
Dead Century said:
Rednog said:
Deshara said:

Very well aware that they test the blood, just as a person who works in the industry I have to say it. There's always the chance of something slipping through there's just so many factors. Not only due to human error, but mechanical and just the fact that no test is 100% accurate. It astonished me when I first learned that there are such things as false positives, false negatives, and interfering substances to worry about when it comes to testing in a medical lab and they are all very real worries.
There is also the fact that all diseases have a window between when the infection occurs and when the tests will pick it up. There is however, *no* window between the infection occurring and being able to infect another person with your donated blood.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Donated the last 2 years in a row :)

Honestly, though, I dont blame those that don't want to give blood. Its a personal thing, and absolutely their right to choose, and may even have a condition or be heavily medicated so obviously they cant. That being said, I always look at it with the perspective of "Hey, what If I was seriously injured and needed that, Would I want people to say 'Eh, I care, but I'm afraid of needles'?"

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Did it once, never again.
I realize this means I should be denied a transfusion when I need it, and I'm fine with that.

I literally felt like I was going to die after giving, so it's something I'd really rather never go through again.