Poll: Donating blood

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I donated blood twice, each with a three month waiting period between them. There are two more months till I could donate again, and I plan to continue giving blood till I drop dead.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
You need another option
No,because a little paranoia goes a long way
My mom lives in Malaysia,so i visit her.
Malaysia is on the list of malaria risk countries.
So they barred me from donating.
A bit extreme,but makes some sense.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Sacman said:
xmbts said:
I tried once. I've had too many transfusions so they don't trust me, they'd likely just dispose of it if they did take some.

But for those that do donate, thanks, I'd be dead otherwise.
Bah... now I feel bad for not donating blood...>.<

And to be honest I'll probably never do it... completely out of laziness...<.<
Well when I needed it you were 3 or 4 years old, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. :p

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
I used to, but not anymore for medical reasons.
As far as I know, most places don't offer rewards except an occasional raffle for something like movie tickets or something like that.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Little Woodsman said:
Strazdas said:
another factor to remember in giving blood is to NOT do it regularly. if you give blood when you loose blood your body works harder to restore the amount you normally have, thus temporary pigheadedness and hence they give you juice and sweet food as that helps increase the blood output. now as many donation veterans will tell you, you wont be getting that at 10th time and so on. because your body adjusts and starts making more blood all the time since you will be loosing a lot of it. now that is fine, until you stop. lets say you get ill or anything that prevents you from donating on regular basis, then suddenly you got a lot of excess blood produced, without letting it down. if this goes untreated it can literally burst veins.
Ummm, NO. Just no.
Your body will *NOT* overproduce blood & "literally burst veins".
I can't even imagine where you got that idea.
BTW--I'm living proof. I had to take a year off of donating following an accidental blood exposure, and I can
assure you that I didn't produce more blood during that year.
How often were you donating before? right here we got "once every 2 months only" for multitude reasons this being one of them. your body did produce more blood if you lost blood regulary in the past (this applies to donation, blood trasnfer, wounds, ect), and it did increase pressure unless that contaminatino you mention in some way lowered blood amount (does not need directly drain to be lowered). weins of course dont burst for everyone, but this technically can happen. of course other signs will show before that.
human body adapts to survive. if you constantly loose blood, it will adapt to produce more. if you suddenly stop loosing blood, the production does not simply go off like a switch and coninueto produce more.
As for your living proof, you did produce the same amount of blood. but you did not loose any during that year (as per your assumption), therefore amount of blood inside your body was higher than last year. Now if the amount higher were significant, it will result in increased blood pressure, mre work for your heart, and in extreme cases veins tearing.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Sorry everyone, this was supposed to have quoted Strazdas...it is a reply to the post just above it--don't know why the quote didn't work....

I was donating every 2 months...you know the limit pretty much anyone can. I worked at a blood center at the time, and I was able to check my hematocrit on a regular basis during the year when I didn't donate. It *never* *changed*. It was always 46%, the level that it normally was right before I would donate. The blood "exposure" that I had did *nothing* to affect me, when you work with other people's blood there is potential to get some of it on you. That happened to me. When that happens, you are asked to refrain from donating for 12 months as a cautionary procedure. I didn't catch anything from the donor's blood, we were just being cautious.
I worked with blood and blood donors for *six* and a *half* years.
During my time at the center there were literally *hundreds* of people who were regular donors and then had to take an extended period of time off from donating due to travel & any number of other issues. The overwhelming majority of them
returned to donating after their deferral period was up and *not* *one* of them suffered these effects of over-producing
blood like you describe.
I know what I am talking about.
You are *just* WRONG!
Ask any MD!

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
I'm gay so I can't. I'm also a registered organ donor even though they won't use them if I die.

Ah well, I'll just keep everything for myself then.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I can't for medical reasons. At least I couldn't the last few years, I have an appointment with my haematologist in 5 weeks, I should ask him if it's safe again.