Poll: Don't put marbles in your nose!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
So as I'm sure you've all heard, Nintendo Switch cards have been chemically flavored to taste terrible thereby preventing toddlers from eating them. If you haven't heard, Google it. You'll find an article and probably some taste-tests.
I'm sure many of you upon hearing this developed an overwhelming desire to taste these cards against all logic.
I wanted to see how the numbers panned out.
The title is of course a reference to this:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't understand this whole thing.

Thing is made to taste bad.

You taste it.

It tastes bad.

WHY WOULD YOU TASTE IT?!

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I'd taste it out of morbid curiosity. As long and I'm not actually swallowing parts of or the whole card, it's fine.

Dirty Hipsters said:
This is what happened to me when I ate a Peppermint Crisp once. It was crispy and tasted like peppermint and I was legitimately disappointed and had no idea why.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I don't understand this whole thing.

Thing is made to taste bad.

You taste it.

It tastes bad.

WHY WOULD YOU TASTE IT?!
Two words: Youtube views. Considering it's supposed to be laced with the most bitter substance on earth, people aren't tasting it to see if it tastes bad, but how bad it tastes. Not that it makes those people any less moronic and/or desperate.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I mean it just tastes like that stuff you put on kids fingernails to break nailbitering or sucker habits.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I think 'Keep out of hands of children' should really be enough, but if Nintendo wants to waste its time and money on such a process, I really don't care.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I think 'Keep out of hands of children' should really be enough, but if Nintendo wants to waste its time and money on such a process, I really don't care.
Not gonna risk being blamed by the news for kids deaths.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RaikuFA said:
FalloutJack said:
This. It's one of the few smart ideas Nintendo has made recently.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Umm... yes?

If you hand me something and say, "This was specifically designed to taste bad", then of course I'm going to immediately lick it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
RaikuFA said:
CoCage said:
This. It's one of the few smart ideas Nintendo has made recently.
Judging by some of the reactions in this thread, I don't think taste is gonna matter.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
bartholen said:
Two words: Youtube views. Considering it's supposed to be laced with the most bitter substance on earth, people aren't tasting it to see if it tastes bad, but how bad it tastes. Not that it makes those people any less moronic and/or desperate.
Honestly I don't think it has very much at all to do with youtube views, perhaps a tiny amount but not to any great extent. Instead its simple human curiosity.

Humans have advanced due to an innate and inescapable curiosity that at least some of our species has. The curiosity to try things out and see. As a scientist, science is absolutely full of these kinds of people.

Let me use an example: if you're in a restaurant and they say they have a dish made with one of the hottest chillis in the world on the menu there is a sizable portion of people who would want to have a nibble. Sure there'll be some people who think that entire idea is absolutely idiotic because "why would you do that to yourself? Its stupidly hot", but there is a decent number who will just want to try. Just to see exactly how hot it is.

Exactly the same thing here. You make it taste bad so people won't eat it. But there's a sizable amount of people that now want to taste it specifically so they can find out just how bad it tastes. I must admit to being curious myself.

Curiosity is a powerful thing. To paraphrase something I read somewhere once: if you put a big red button in a cave somewhere and painted a sign above it saying "End of the World button do not press" then the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I've seen people compare the flavor to earwax, I have no idea how or why these people know what earwax tastes like...

Feb 7, 2016
Igor-Rowan said:
I've seen people compare the flavor to earwax, I have no idea how or why these people know what earwax tastes like...
I thought the exact same thing...

Why do they know what that tastes like? I'm quite scared.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Am I really one of only two people to have voted for the third option? :|

Oookay then.

I mean, obviously it's not something I would have done without seeing all the hubbub about it on the internet. I gave the game cart one little lick, just for curiosity's sake. Why not? I'm not losing my shit and posting about it on social media or anything, though. (Plus the game arrived days before the console did, so it's not like there was anything else I could do with it...)