Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Lightspeaker said:
bartholen said:
Two words: Youtube views. Considering it's supposed to be laced with the most bitter substance on earth, people aren't tasting it to see if it tastes bad, but how bad it tastes. Not that it makes those people any less moronic and/or desperate.
Honestly I don't think it has very much at all to do with youtube views, perhaps a tiny amount but not to any great extent. Instead its simple human curiosity.

Humans have advanced due to an innate and inescapable curiosity that at least some of our species has. The curiosity to try things out and see. As a scientist, science is absolutely full of these kinds of people.

Let me use an example: if you're in a restaurant and they say they have a dish made with one of the hottest chillis in the world on the menu there is a sizable portion of people who would want to have a nibble. Sure there'll be some people who think that entire idea is absolutely idiotic because "why would you do that to yourself? Its stupidly hot", but there is a decent number who will just want to try. Just to see exactly how hot it is.

Exactly the same thing here. You make it taste bad so people won't eat it. But there's a sizable amount of people that now want to taste it specifically so they can find out just how bad it tastes. I must admit to being curious myself.

Curiosity is a powerful thing. To paraphrase something I read somewhere once: if you put a big red button in a cave somewhere and painted a sign above it saying "End of the World button do not press" then the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
The people who were too curious tended to die without passing on their genes. Natural selection.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Back in my day we had common sense and parental abuse to stop us from doing silly things. But I guess this works too...

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The continued snark in this thread bugs me. This isn't some new invention. This is literally a product they have been coating things with to stop children putting it in their mouths for at least 25+ years. You are not special snowflakes who didn't encounter this 'in your day'. No one cared to mention it in your day, because it isn't that big of a deal to make small things taste in a manner which cause a child to reflexively spit it out.

You can straight up buy this substance from your chemist to put on anything you don't want your kid licking. Its the go to chemical deterrent for nail biting and finger sucking in children.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Elijin said:
The continued snark in this thread bugs me. This isn't some new invention. This is literally a product they have been coating things with to stop children putting it in their mouths for at least 25+ years. You are not special snowflakes who didn't encounter this 'in your day'. No one cared to mention it in your day, because it isn't that big of a deal to make small things taste in a manner which cause a child to reflexively spit it out.

You can straight up buy this substance from your chemist to put on anything you don't want your kid licking. Its the go to chemical deterrent for nail biting and finger sucking in children.
Pfft. This is Nintendo! They obviously must have made a much better, more unique version of their own...with motion controls, and 3D.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I don't get the compulsion to do obscenely stupid shit just for the sake of defying good sense.

Funny enough, this is actually the clip I got my screen name from.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zhukov said:
Umm... yes?

If you hand me something and say, "This was specifically designed to taste bad", then of course I'm going to immediately lick it.
*hands you poop*

This tastes like shit.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Zhukov said:
Umm... yes?

If you hand me something and say, "This was specifically designed to taste bad", then of course I'm going to immediately lick it.
*hands you poop*

This tastes like shit.
Nope.

a) Poop isn't just gross, it's actually toxic. It'll give you gastroenteritis.

b) Many animals, humans included obviously, are instinctively repelled by the smell of their own crap. I'm assuming that Switch cartridges do not smell bad.

c) Poop isn't designed to taste bad. It just does (or so I assume).

I honestly wasn't expecting to have to write a list explaining why I wouldn't taste poop.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zhukov said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Zhukov said:
Umm... yes?

*hands you poop*

This tastes like shit.
Nope.

a) Poop isn't just gross, it's actually toxic. It'll give you gastroenteritis.

b) Many animals, humans included obviously, are instinctively repelled by the smell of their own crap. I'm assuming that Switch cartridges do not smell bad.

c) Poop isn't designed to taste bad. It just does (or so I assume).

I honestly wasn't expecting to have to write a list explaining why I wouldn't taste poop.
A. I'm fairly certain our noses are repelled by the smell of poop by design, but there are other creatures to whom the smell/taste (because smelling is linked to taste) of poop is palatable. So it might actually be designed by biology to taste bad, to us.

2. I'm sure Switch cartridges aren't exactly good for the gastrointestinal system either, and may indeed have toxic properties.

D. You're right though that many animals are repelled by their own poo, but some like rabbits actually eat their own poo because it helps their digestive tracts.

:) But mostly I just had to take the shot because you did leave yourself fairly open there ;)

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
humans do completely illogical things.. drink cold coffee knowing it will taste bad.. touching things to see if they are hot.. etc

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
pookie101 said:
humans do completely illogical things.. drink cold coffee knowing it will taste bad.. touching things to see if they are hot.. etc
Iced coffee tastes way better.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
pookie101 said:
..touching things to see if they are hot.. etc
I once dipped my finger in a pot of water to see if it was hot.

It was. Very much so. Gave me a burn.

So I immediately pulled my hand out and dipped my other hand in. Burned that one too.

Then I stood there for a full minute laughing at myself and trying to figure out what fuck I had been thinking. Apparently some part of my brain expected the the water to change temperature depending on which hand I used.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
American Tanker said:
Humanity has become survival of the dumbest, hasn't it?
This case sounds more like survival of dumb toddlers to me, or just "toddlers" if we don't want to be redundant.

EDIT: Ah, I missed the second part. Yep, you're right then. Survival of the dumbest it is.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Guilion said:
I'm going to deconstruct this phenomenom with a hypothetical syllogism logical argument:

A: Nintendo sprayed carts using Denatonium benzoate to avoid little children and babies from swallowing the cards.

B: Game journalists decided to do place the cards in their mouths for no fucking reason.

C: Therefore game journalists and YouTube gamers are dumber than little children and babies.
fixed that for you