Poll: Dracula or Twilight?

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
my greed takes over here, i'd rather live like a king and forgotten a year after my death then be remembered for being a poor loser who wrote an incredible book that made him no money.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
If you had said something which wasn't Twilight I probably would have gone with the money, but I really disagree with the messages and tones behind and in Twilight, so Dracula.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Dracula. i just want the love of the whole world. plus, ive read stephanie meyers other stuff: its okay. the problem with twilight is she admitted she doesnt know anything about vampires. then wrote a vampire novel. which is a class a retarded decision.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
In Dracula's defense. back in the Victorian era, it wasn't as easy to get a book out into the public recognition. While the Twilight books came into recognition for allllll the wrong reasons.

Tbh, Dracula is an undisputed great. And Edward Cullen is an undisputed gayboy-sparkle-nab.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Dracula

why?

twilight will be gone and forgotten in a decade, Dracula wont

I'd rather have a work that will 'survive' beyond my life span several time then be rich now off a tightly coiled dog turd, there's a form of immortality to that.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Wait, why is this even a question?
Dracula is basically what defined vampires until Twilight came along and raped the image/name. Dracula is an enduring classic that has been overshadowed by poorly authored teen drama with "vampires."
Obviously, Dracula is what I root for.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
For starters I am not a fan of Twilight I have even tried to read it, couldn't get passed her take on Vampire Lore. I however find it very amusing that people love to call it shit. It would have never made the New York Times bestseller list if that were true. Is it a typical fantasy/horror novel, nope, but then again I don't think Meyer's set to achieve that. It is a unique spin on a love story, that is all.

In short are the books shit and millions of people are fucking retarded or do some people have sticks in their asses. It may not be your thing but that doesn't mean it is utter shit. to each their own.

To answer the question in the OP. I would rather write something that I personal felt proud of regardless of what the out come was. As long as I am happy with the published work I could careless if it made me a millionaire or kept me a poor ass hobo. Their will always be critics and cynics trying to bring you down.

Sidenote: I am a larger fan of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter then Dracula or Twilight

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Dracula. Why? Because Bram Stoker was hardly a destitute bum. The guy worked with a famous actor, knew the American president, and was a fairly notable personality. He had plenty of money to live comfortably, and had a wide and varied career. Once you have that, the difference between quite comfortable and rich is pretty un-noticeable.

I wouldn't ever write something like Twilight. Oh don't get me wrong, I would write a horrible, trashy book with 0 redeeming value that would make Stoker roll in his grave: If people like it enough to give me money, hell, who am I to judge someones taste? It doesn't have to be a cultural revolution to be a fun read worth killing a few hours. I wouldn't write Twilight because it is a veritable how-to guide to emotionally abusive relationships that teaches very young children to define themselves entirely by their man, valued only for their virginity, and basically be a passive, pretty airhead. I couldn't live with that on my conscious. I like women too much to insult them like that.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I have no concern with a personal legacy...I'm not nearly that vain.

Twilight all the way...allow me and those close to me to bask in my success in life while those around me may hate my guts.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Leole said:
Dracula, It would mean the world to me if I made an impact (A good one, mind you) to humanity in any way.

Money only last so long.
So does an impression, when the timeframe increases. Which it does. In time.

Fuck impact I'd rather have money right now. Fame I couldnt care less about.

Also: GJ OP. I was considering a rage post before I read your opening. Ticking me off for no good reason. Fuck, borderline trolling right there :p

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Both in a way, like a Dracula Twilight combo, to where its mainly good, but has its own shitty side, best of both worlds.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I'd rather have something like Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot.

Youj're popular while you're alive, and leave a lasting impression once you die (he's not dead yet, but no one lives forever).

However, out of those two... Id ont know. I guess twlight, cause as much as people will say they hate twilight and would never want to write something so horrible, when you look at how much you're raking in, tunes change, FAST. And no one says that the book you write has to be crap. you could write an amazing book like dracula, and have it popular. cause Twilight is going to be known even after meyers dies, just by its addition to culture.

EDIT:
Xanadu84 said:
... I wouldn't write Twilight because it is a veritable how-to guide to emotionally abusive relationships that teaches very young children to define themselves entirely by their man, valued only for their virginity, and basically be a passive, pretty airhead. I couldn't live with that on my conscious. I like women too much to insult them like that.
Someone watched Moviebob's review I see. XD

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Dracula had a lasting after effect that still echos today and will probably be remembered throughout human history.

Twilight, may be a series of words randomly arranged in a book to form millions of dollars, but that money wont make a positive impact on history.

Twilight will be a foot note. Stephany Mayer may be rich now, but will be forgotten.

Dracula is a Headline. Bram Stoker may be dead, but will be remembered.

Out of the two, I would prefer to have Bram Stoker style success.

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
I would hate myself if I wrote a crappy book just to cash in on the money. Even though fame won't matter to me when I'm dead, I'd rather have people actually remember me for something good, instead of forgetting about me a year after my last book is published.

Dracula all the way.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
So this isn't about vampires, but the effect the book has? In that case, I would prefer a book that affects me during my lifetime, even if it was terrible. After all, how am I to know that my book will be considered good later if I'm dead? As much as writers need to express themselves, they also need to eat. (I'd hate myself, but I'd also be determined to write something much better now that I have a fanbase and publishers.)

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I find it hard to believe so many of you have read both Dracula and Twilight anyway. I've read Dracula, sure, but I sure as hell have never even read a paragraph of Twilight, nor have I seen any of the films, so I have nothing to go on its artistic merits (or lack thereof) despite hearsay. And I don't think it's prudent to critique a novel, no matter how widespread the condemnation is, without experiencing said novel.

I'm a fan of Stephen King for example - as a writer he's fair to middling, but for just the sheer fun of his stories - there's a reason his books are best-sellers! JK Rowling is hardly Dickens or Austen, but goddamn she can spin a good bloody story.

If anything, it might be more interesting to be somewhere in between the Dracula and Twilight - writing like someone like Robert E Howard. He didn't get the vast amounts of cash and his tragically short life will I'm sure fulfil your struggling artist fantasies.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Twilight.

Sorry, but I got a mouth to feed, rent to pay and a borderline addiction to video games to fuel. I see no value in posthumous fame and fortune.

In an ideal world I would write Twilight to line my pockets, then, once I was all cashed up, I would write Dracula for the advancement of literature and whatnot. (Although then nobody would take it seriously because, "Urg, it's by that Twilight guy.")