Poll: Dracula or Twilight?

Aug 25, 2009
READ THE POST!

Dracula is regarded as one of the great novels of the Victorian Horror Genre, the classic vampire tale praised by many and copied by more.

Twilight is a turgid piece of crap that has made Stephanie Meyer one of the most famous and rich authors of the day. It is praised by the die hard fans and no one else.

The crucial difference? Dracula made very little money and sold very few copies during its original release. It was only after Bram Stoker's death that it began to gain anywhere near the following it had. Twilight has made Stephanie Meyer rich and famous right now.

Which would you rather have? A work of yours (music, essay, game, book, film, zoetrope, whatever) becomes famous only after you're dead, but is either unheard of or outright shunned while you're alive, or write an utterly awful piece of crap that makes you large wads of cash and fame while you're alive?

I'd rather have Twilight to be frank. If I knew that writing some utterly terrible book would make me famous and rich tomorrow, I'd write it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even care if it gathered the sort of hatedom that Twilight has.

The reason I use Twilight and Dracula is because they are both books featuring vampires, and that fit my argument suprisingly well. There is no other reason for this choice.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
Dracula, It would mean the world to me if I made an impact (A good one, mind you) to humanity in any way.

Money only last so long.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Twilight. I like money, and fame means nothing to me when I'm dead.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Dracula. Why? I like Dracula, and I don't need money. I think that writing Dracula would be a far more interesting experience, than writing something on the level of shitty fanfiction.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I would rather make something that would make an impact on literature into the future. Your family name then becomes more famed.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Twilight. If I can become rich with 0 skill and 0 talent then god damnit I'll get my money. Then one year before my planned assassination,I pull a Hitler and snack on a cyanide pill.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I saw this thread title and immediately thought, "Oh, it's okay Mr. Stoker, they don't really mean to compare your awesome novel to Twilight." And, lo and behold, the thread proves me right.

Thank you. =)

Back on topic, I would far prefer to write something that is actually deep and meaningful, even if it is only recognized after my lifetime. I think I'd feel a bit ashamed of myself as a writer if I ever churned out something like Twilight for a quick buck.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Twilight. Who cares what happens after I die? Not me.
Also, I could use the fame and money to promote struggling artists, to clear my conscience.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
LiberalSquirrel said:
I saw this thread title and immediately thought, "Oh, it's okay Mr. Stoker, they don't really mean to compare your awesome novel to Twilight." And, lo and behold, the thread proves me right.

Thank you. =)

Back on topic, I would far prefer to write something that is actually deep and meaningful, even if it is only recognized after my lifetime. I think I'd feel a bit ashamed of myself as a writer if I ever churned out something like Twilight for a quick buck.
You'd really feel ashamed? There's nothing wrong with writing vapid works meant purely for entertainment. I think providing someone a world to lose themselves in for few moments is a noble thing, no matter the lack of artistic merit or thematic depth.

And I like money.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Correction: Twilight doesn't feature vampires, it features pale emo boys who sparkle in the sunlight.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Xojins said:
Correction: Twilight doesn't feature vampires, it features pale emo boys who sparkle in the sunlight.
I think you meant emo fairy boys with a vampire complex.

Because we all know fairies sparkle.

OT: I'd rather write something and have it gain popularity AFTER I die rather than contribute to the load of shite that is being produced lately.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
DustyDrB said:
LiberalSquirrel said:

Thank you. =)

You'd really feel ashamed? There's nothing wrong with writing vapid works meant purely for entertainment. I think providing someone a world to lose themselves in for few moments is a noble thing, no matter the lack of artistic merit or thematic depth.

And I like money.
It's not that I don't want to write anything without some so-called "deeper artistic merit." I like purely entertaining works (and money) just as much as the next girl. It's just that I don't agree with a lot of underlying themes in Twilight. The major one being the "it's okay, and in fact very romantic, if your boyfriend watches you while you sleep, controls a good part of your life, follows you everywhere without your knowledge, and makes it so that you feel like killing yourself if he ever leaves you." Thus, if I wrote something like that, and marketed it as some great love story in order make myself some money, I'd be ashamed.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
This is a really big moral dilemma, actually.

Dracula was truly a work of art and is still a very important reference in any fantasy settings (with vampires popping out like freaking flowers n'our days), but if you choose it you will not receive anything while alive. Only after your death will you become famous and well known, and even the ones choosing this have to agree that that is one really frustrating situation, if you think about it (while you're still alive, that is).

Twilight on the other hand is almost as popular as Jesus, at about this point and will most likely make you rich enough to not have to write or work another day in your life. You'll have enough money to literally fill a swimming pool with golden coins and swim in them like Scrouge McDuck. However, your direct promotion of mediocrity will lower the general human intellect. People will worship what is mediocre and thus will not strive themselves to reach any higher, thinking that "this is as good as it gets". Thus, the general bar for something "good" will lower and, thus, so will the standards of humanity.

Fuck it, I'd rather write Lord of the Flies.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
LiberalSquirrel said:
DustyDrB said:
LiberalSquirrel said:

Thank you. =)

And I like money.
It's not that I don't want to write anything without some so-called "deeper artistic merit." I like purely entertaining works (and money) just as much as the next girl. It's just that I don't agree with a lot of underlying themes in Twilight. The major one being the "it's okay, and in fact very romantic, if your boyfriend watches you while you sleep, controls a good part of your life, follows you everywhere without your knowledge, and makes it so that you feel like killing yourself if he ever leaves you." Thus, if I wrote something like that, and marketed it as some great love story in order make myself some money, I'd be ashamed.
Oh, I didn't know Twilight was like that. I haven't read it. I haven't read Dracula either, though. I've never been into vampires.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
Theres nothing particularly wrong with Twilight beyond its psychotic fanbase. Hundreds and Hundreds of mindless poorly done teen romance and mindless poorly done action books/movies come out each year. Twilight is only notable for the fact that it's fans don't realize its many many faults.

That said I'd rather write Dracula, unless of course I was homeless and starving, then screw legacy I need to eat. But I live a comfortable life right now so I would much rather make something significant.

DustyDrB said:
Oh, I didn't know Twilight was like that. I haven't read it. I haven't read Dracula either, though. I've never been into vampires.
Yea Twilight is filled with alot of terrible themes if you actually look at it. Hopefully none of the preteen early teen girls consuming it think that is how stuff works.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Dracula for the lasting impact on literature and fantasy in general.

Whenever you think vampire you immediately think Dracula. To have that kind of impact on the fantasy genre is an absolute dream of mine. I'd rather be remembered long after my death than be rolling in cash one minute, then laughed at as that guy who wrote a piss poor novel that was a passing fad when I'm 6 feet under.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
While I like having money to buy video games and food, I also enjoy writing. And If I wrote something as bad as Twilight I'd have to kill myself in shame for creating fad that would torment others for years to come in their strange devotion to a mediocre (if not butt-numbingly awful)piece of work.

Jun 11, 2008
But Bram stoker was actually rich in his time so I'll take Dracula over Twilight. So yeah the fame and money doesn't really win it for Twilight since old Bram had both as well as being very influential. He did write more than Dracula and was not just a novelist he also helped manage a theatre. Even at just writing he has about 10 novels and 3 short stories I think. Yes Dracula was not a hit with the common reader at the time it was still very critically acclaimed. I would rather have Sir Arthur Conan Doyle personally write me a letter telling me he enjoyed my piece rather than write Twilight.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
If I gain fame after I died, what use is it to me? I'm dead. I couldn't care less about what happens to me after I die. I'll take the beneficial one to me, thank you.