Poll: Dragon Age 1 (origins)... or 2?

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Most of the people I know preferred Origins... however now I'm seeing a lot of peopel saying that Dragon Age 2 was better, maybe it had to sink in? I don't know...

Maybe some like Origins more for it's DLC?

Just a simple poll... Which Dragon Age did you prefer?

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins has more roleplaying.

Dragon Age 2 has more fluid combat and is a lot easier.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Origins. I have been over why. No need to sound any more like a broken record than I already do.

E the Weasel

May 5, 2011
I like the story better in Origins, but the combat in 2 is much improved. In Origins it was rather frustrating that my melee characters could only attack a dude if they were just standing in just the right spot, and in 2 you get three chapters of story that only seem vaguely connected. They're both fun, just in different ways I guess.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Origins was a more tactical game and had the potential for being quite... grand. However, combat was somewhat slow and lacked the fluidity of 2.

That said, Dragon Age 2 was far more personal and, as a result, a far darker game, especially

When your mother died

Both have their merits to the point where I consider them to be fine as separate games, but do not count them as sequels. They simply share the same setting.

Lesd3vil

Oct 11, 2010
Personally, I watched my friends all play origins and couldn't find it in myselfto be interested in it. It looked long-winded and rambling and frankly I don't have the time or motivation to immerse myself in that kind of game any more. Dragon Age 2 though... The combat was tight, simple and to the point and the game itself was broken up into a more easily digestible format, which I instantly liked... The main problems were the HUGE leaps in the story, they caused a ton of confusion and dissonance, and the recycled areas which I felt were just lazy :/

I did love the story of DA2 too. I was absolutely gutted when that happened that Naheal posted up there, and it surprised me that one of the main characters was personally involved in the setup of the final conflict - it's not something that's generally done in games - but I guess Bioware are great at pulling stuff like that to make you think and feel more in regards to tehir stories :)

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Dragon Age Origins: Felt more like a RPG absolutely packed with story and narrative that set up the whole Dragon Age world, while Dragon Age 2 felt more fast paced and had brilliant character design.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
I'd say Origins first, because I reckon if you played 2 before origins you'd get frustrated with the lack of a looting/attack nearest enemy button and logical skill tree. It won't be unplayable but it will annoy you.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
they are both great but you cant really compare the two very well. DA:O is a pure tactical RPG while DA2 is more of a hack-and-slash meets RPG with dumbed down RPG elements. both games are great at what they do but if you compare DA2 to DA:O or the other way around you will undoubtedly have some gripes

DA:O does tactical RPG the way it was meant to be done: it is very in depth, it has a huge universe to play in, it has a large tech tree for each class, its very tactically minded, and it requires a good mix of classes to be effective

DA2 is a great RPG for the action junky who traditionally enjoys adrenaline packed games like most modern shooters: it has fast pace action, it limits the gear sorting so you can spend less time in the inventory and more time in the action, it has RPG elements without drowning the player in them, it is tactical for those who are into that but it has an autopilot mode for those who dont, and it is short and to the point

what i find the majority of DA2 haters dislike about DA2 is that it is not like DA:O. while i do agree (and side with them for the most part) i also understand why the switch was made. the creators wanted to cast a wider net in order to catch more of the gamer market and get higher sales. i also hear alot of gamers hating the switch because DA:O did tactical RPG perfect and to see such a great franchise switch gears completely from a series that has so few titles to begin with is a tragic loss

if i had my way i would have kept DA2 the same style as DA:O but to be fair the switch to this hack-and-slash RPG is both more viable for the current gaming market and these type of games are much more simple/ time consuming to make and so you can pump out sequels much faster. this is simply a money grab

Azzy222

May 5, 2011
After playing both, I found that I was far mor interested in the story and play style of Origins. Maybe the fact I wasn't stuck in the same city for most of the game had something to do with it.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I'll put it to you this way: I tried to play DAO last night and after Duncan got introduced I went back to the Dashboard.

I'm speaking purely as an individual here. DAO has the better overall package and presentation, yes, but I prefer DA2.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
The menu in 2 makes me a sad panda. Origins def has a better story thus far. But the graphics are so shiny in 2. Playing a mage looks so hot. I like the day/night cycle in 2. But i really hate how it feels like a hud. I just feel like i am going from one dungeon to the next and not really getting a chance to explore it. Even though Origins was similar it didn't feel so limiting.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I actually enjoyed Origins past my second playthrough. DA2 on the other hand, I couldn't play past my second playthrough. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good of an RPG as Origins was. There were also some minor things removed/streamlined, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Mass Effect 2 when it comes to that. Crafting was still pointless, and the way you did it was just the same as buying things, because if you see a resource, why the hell wouldn't you take it?

I also feel like the only reason you can't customize your companions armor is because BioWare wants to sell costume packs. Speaking of DLC, The Exiled Prince sucked. One of the worst DLC's I've ever played. It might have been worth it if Sebastian wasn't a total asshole that you couldn't kill at the end.