Poll: Dragon Age 2 was it that bad?

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
I personally felt it was a bastardized insult to the original game. The story was bad and the narrative is schizophrenic at best. The combat was dull and repetitive. The only thing i kind of liked was naming the main character Mike but the gag got old rather quickly.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Honestly man, it's the best modern High fantasy game I've played, apart from Oblivion. The story wasn't bad; it presented a clear development throught the entire game, the first grand conflict ending with the Qunari and the other with the Mages. I enjoyed the combat, greatly when compared to the first one which was just dull.

At parts I thought it fantasy at it most bizarre; with the Lyrium doll and whatnot.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
I enjoyed it.

I accept all of your criticisms, but I still enjoyed it.

I just wish they had spent an extra, say, 6 months on it. To make a couple of extra dungeon maps, to make the story flow a little better, to make the combat, especially the CCCs (which were excellent in theory) a little more interesting. It is like the idea of a good game, squeezed through the generic game making machine of EA. I loved the feeling of being a city's hero, making his own way and carving a name out for himself in his little corner of the world. No enormous demons, no world threatening enemy. One man, his companions and a city to fight for.

It pales in comparison to the first, but I thought it was a solid game I have enjoyed twice through.

My captcha is dollars to donuts, which I guess is a fairly good (if abstract) metaphor for Dragon Age's progression...

AllTheoryNoPractice

Apr 6, 2009
Overall, it's not a BAD game, and is actually pretty serviceable, it's just bad compared to, well, ANYTHING ELSE BioWare has done. It's to their lineup what Cars was to Pixar's. If you just play it on its own merits, it's about a 7/10--nothing remarkable, but enjoyable. But coming off of DA:O, it seems horrendous because they make several missteps on things they nailed in the first one.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
I enjoyed it. It needed a little longer development time to work out the bugs and give it a less abrupt third act, and the recycled dungeons where a little lazy. Yet it was fun, the characters where more interesting, the combat was less clunky, and the more personal story somewhat more engaging than Dragon Age: Origins for me.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Gee, I hope not. I plan to pick it up, together with Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening on monday.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
I only played the demo, and let me tell you what a terrible demo it was. I don't know how well it represented the actual game, but I'll never find out because the demo was such an insipid mix of boredom, cliche, poor gameplay, and stupid accents that I have no interest in playing the actual game.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
the ganeplay was entertaining but the story, repatative nature, and the fact the game was sold with only 3 of the five acts of the game pissed me off. i dont mind some of changes but the game was rushed

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The game was more of a disappointment than anything else. It had alot of potential, but it was rushed out.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I liked the new stylized look, but on a personal note absolutely HATED the way generic heavy armor looked. The combat was tighter, but the story felt disjointed with no real "why you are doing this" moments and magically spawning fighter from the ether were BULLSHIT! That and all the damn junk items it threw at you. At one time I had at least five "Rings"(that's right, they were just called "Ring") with the same damn +10 stamina/mana and +5% fire damage. They really liked giving you fire damage boosts in that game. At lastly the overly repeating dungeons that magically took up enough room that they couldn't just leave Sebastian as included content. He was a needless character in both story and gameplay."Gee, another less useful and boring Archer Rogue! You spoil us Bioware."That and the choice at the end if you do have him that basically amounts to personal choice vs. usability. You know, sacrifice the ONLY healer in the game(who isn't even that good at his job in this one until the most recent patch) or the 2nd Archer who isn't as good as Varric is and always will be. And the achievements for said archer clone were bugged. But besides that, I enjoyed it. But DA:O will always be the superior game for me.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
believer258 said:
C117 said:
Gee, I hope not. I plan to pick it up, together with Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening on monday.
Understand that the two games are very different in the way things play. After letting this sink in, then Dragon Age 2 shouldn't be too bad.
Thank you, I will remember that.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
In gameplay terms, it's frequently kind of meh. But the combat has a certain enjoyably non-traditional flow to it.

As for the story... It seemed like an experiment in bringing character based, rather than event based narrative to games. Some people will enjoy it, some people will complain about the lack of things happening. To each their own.

Overall, I liked it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I enjoyed it.

But it took me 3 months to finish, and I will never replay it.

Worth the money, at least.